it is not silver it is steel maybe post some pics

Shorty Buckshot

Aug 19, 2012
Northeast Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1943 steel cents are U.S. one-cent coins that were struck in steel due to wartime shortages of copper. The Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints each produced these 1943 Lincoln cents. The unique composition of the coin (low-grade steel coated with zinc, instead of the previously 95%-copper-based bronze composition) has led to various nicknames, such as wartime cent, steel war penny, and steelie. The 1943 steel cent features the same Victor David Brenner design for the Lincoln cent which had been in use since 1909.

The copper cents differ from their steel counterparts in four ways:
Genuine 1943 copper cents will not be attracted to a magnet. Copper-plated steel cents will exhibit a strong magnetic attraction.
Copper cents weigh 3.11*grams. Steel cents weigh 2.70*grams.
The numeral 3 in 1943 has the same long tail as the steel cents. Alterations from later-dated copper cents will be noticeable when compared side-by-side with genuine steel cents.
The quality of the strike is exceptionally sharp, especially around the rim, because the soft copper planchets were struck with the same (higher) pressure used for the steel cents.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They number in the millions struck. no great numismatist value. ╦╦Ç

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
their still a wheat penny

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was once detecting along a lake shore while my five year old daughter was playing in the water along behind me. I didn't find a thing that day but when we got back to the pickup I showed her the one bottle cap I found and she showed me a steel penny that she had picked up. What are the chances of that? Back in the 1950's I use to get a steel penny occasionally in change but I never got one with a detector. --Jack

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unless it was recently dropped i would think a steel penny would be rusted not silvery looking ,can you post up some pics?

OP
OP
L
Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG here are some pictures

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
whoa was it like that or did you clean it

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa was it like that or did you clean it
He makes no mention that these are his, just pics. I used to have a coin collection and often bought key dates to fill "voids". Common strategy. ╦╦Ç

EDIT: I re-read his original post. The pics may be his coin. Let's see..... ╦╦Ç

Last edited:
OP
OP
L
Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson found it as you see it, shiny and great shape. I gave him 50 cents for it lol. I have it in my possession. I did not clean it or do anything to it.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zinc dipped , hay its cool though. I think this was done pretty often as science projects.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread