Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pinpointer Pro AT, Master Hunter Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rattler

I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's really good advice and woke me up. I generally DO carry at least one sidearm most every place I go (and needed it once in Philly about 20 years ago, yet I rarely carry when detecting in my back woodlot. However, once when sitting on my back patio enjoying a cigar I noticed a diamondback rattler right under my chair! I jumped up and went in the house, told my daughter I was trying to figure a way to carry it up in the woods, but she, who had much more experience with snakes than I at the horse stable where she worked, told me they've tried that and the snakes always come back. So I grabbed a pistol and dispatched it.

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been putting off my pistol permit/concealed carry for a very long time now. Mostly due to cost. Thinking I might have to bite the bullet though and go for it.

$20 for 5 years in PA.

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

We had a hunter in PA attacked by a coyote a couple years ago. PA Coyotes have bred with wolves and are much larger than western Coyotes.That said I have only seen road kils.

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got bears, some of the biggest coyotes in the country, cougars, occasionally theres panther sightings, bob cats. All sorts of stuff that can potentially mess with you. This is the 3rd time in my life I've been hunted by coyotes. You can tell they are hunting you because they come around your flanks quietly yipping to each other while one makes a lot of noise in front of you to distract you. That way the others can check you out. You never worry about the one howling, it is his 10 friends checking you out in the bushes right next to you that you have to worry about.

This is certainly how they hunt dogs. My German Shepherd female is fearless and the epitome of the Alpha female and I'm sure could take out any two coyotes but not a pack like this. She did however take on a huge 350 lb. black bear, terrorized and treed it!

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is certainly how they hunt dogs. My German Shepherd female is fearless and the epitome of the Alpha female and I'm sure could take out any two coyotes but not a pack like this. She did however take on a huge 350 lb. black bear, terrorized and treed it!

Thats one great dog there, Wish I had time to take care of a dog. Always wanted a pitt or shepherd.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a hunter in PA attacked by a coyote a couple years ago. PA Coyotes have bred with wolves and are much larger than western Coyotes.That said I have only seen road kils.

My Uncles hunting friends in pa got treed by a large pack during bow season. Let his arrows fly at them trying to kill one to scare them away, but failed and they hung out. So all he could do was wait, no phone, no sidearm, no food. He was in that tree all from when they arrived in the afternoon till well after dark, surrounded. Luckily his wife noticed he was out really late, got out of bed and drove out to his stand looking for him. Only then with a gunshot were the coyotes driven away. The truck pulled up in the field right close to the stand, and that didn't even phase them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh, which part of PA? I'll stay away from there.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hog's are what bother me. Mean,Nasty SOB that will run you down like a dog.......

So lucky they haven't made it to my area yet. Talk about destroyed ecosystems and potentially dangerous animals. Funny though, most people don't understand that about them. They are also a example of a crossbred animal, apparently mixed with Russian boars.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild boar are aggressive and vicious. They are definitely unpredictable. I've seen it with my own eyes. I don't care what anyone says.....

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
not to long ago we were on are to church and on the side of the was a hog he had those tusk coming out of his mouth he was probably 300 pounds

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buck in rut is very dangerous and will attack you as well. That pet dog you see lounging on porches and then when they pack up with other dogs are very dangerous they have killed kids and pets and wildlife.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear them cackeling every night but I can't kill them. They look too much like dogs to me.
They have plenty of food around here and they stay healthy with our killer winters. Never problems with people that I've ever heard of besides a missing cat from time to time and it's probably a fox anyway.

They are pretty smart animals around here and keep their distance.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel pretty sure that the reason I have yet to feel fear is that I give off a predator vibe that goes out like a half mile
if I was attacked by coyotes I would climb a tree ( which I don't carry with me)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread