Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this coyote talk, might as well put in my 2 cents, I live in Central Oregon, the high Desert, premium coyote country, there are coyote killing contests here, on the radio and all. I live 15 miles from town and have yotes in my back yard, I like having them around if they are not predating on Deer antelope and ELK, which most of their diet is ground squirrel, then rabbits and Quail, we have the rare Pigmy cottontails and I make places for them close to the house, they hurt Nothing..

Our Rottweiler has a female coyote admirer, she will not leave when he is out in the fenced area, even caught her backing up to the fence, Yeah, I can see why CoyWolfs are getting more prevalent, They are a very different predator, More aggressive and they do stalk humans, more of a curiosity to them I think.

A Good slingshot is a way to keep them back away from you for you east coast guys or get a snake charmer(.410Ga). Packs of wild dogs are DEADLY but rarely seen here. I lived and Hunted Alaska so Grizzly is one that you must respect or get eaten, Coyote's not so much.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...
SMH... Maybe if you hold hands with them and sing Kumbaya they won't kill your chickens, cats, small dogs... Dude grow up and stop trolling every thread that mentions guns. It gets old. Maybe you've not had to console your wife after hearing the coyotes rip her kitten to shreds one night. I have so give it a rest..
And I'm pretty sure insulting other members is against the rules..

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel pretty sure that the reason I have yet to feel fear is that I give off a predator vibe that goes out like a half mile
if I was attacked by coyotes I would climb a tree ( which I don't carry with me)

hahaha nearly spit my coffee out

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be a bounty on coyote around here but most people forgot why and the greenie fruits convinced the watermelon(red on the inside) legislature to repeal it. I think it was only a buck a pair of ears, but the bounty was effective.

There used to be a bounty on wolves 100 years ago and we reintroduced timber wolves to the Midwest. Now all the deer hunters and most of the farmers are getting their lunch ate by predators, but they are the minority. People have forgotten the totality of increased preadator population in favor of a diverse ecosystem, never mind if it is a balanced ecosystem, so long as it has diversity.:BangHead:

Remember boys and girls- every pet a coyote eats means another whitetail deer that got to live another day. So don't be so selfish, just think of a all the deer you saved next time spot the dog or freckles the cat gets ate. So what if it isn't safe to keep a pet, you got a diverse ecosystem. Isn't that what you asked for?

i can't spit without hitting a dang deer around here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not afraid of deep water or hot air.
'round here, they would just throw you in with the hogs, nuthin left but the soles of your shoes.

I can do one better, I work with huge glass furnaces. 2300 degrees, even the shoes will cease to exist.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice article. I think that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unless they have rabies which is quite rare. Most wild animals that I see run away as fast as they can if they see people. I would probably be out of there pretty quick though if I heard them so close to me, normally I only hear them far off in the distance. I get very scared when I see a loose dog running towards me, growling and barking. I don't carry firearms with me, though I do think it is a wise idea to do so, especially if you are in a bad part of town where you may get robbed. Also, In the unlikely occasion that you get lost deep in the woods, it would help to have some type of firearm in case you need to hunt for food. It also probably feels better knowing that you have some defense in case something happens while metal detecting.

Good luck at the cellar hole!

yeah they usually do leave you alone or scare off easily, but every once in a while they try it to see what happens. Can't wait to get back to that cellar hole, hoping the cold rain today matts the grass down.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Berkshires of Mass here... same breed. Size of german shepherds... I'm a trail runner also and I'll tell ya"... when there is a pack near you letting loose with some talk the reasoning goes out of your head and the cave man reflex kicks in. These aren't western coy dogs.... these are big ole buggers that make ya' think twice...

Yes it is amazing how big they are. Act nothing like normal coyotes

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years ago you never saw coyotes here now we have many. The state has an open season on them and no limit. I have found that what ever you take out just fills back up so I do not worry about the few deer and fawns they eat we have many. It is the wild dogs running and killing the deer for sport that we have a problem with. They will dog a deer until it collapses. We take out the wild dogs every season. I let the coyotes slide they have their niche. The little pets people drop off out in the country not so much. People that drop off animals (pets) in the mountains thinking they will be ok are wrong. I manage over 4000 acs and we keep it well balanced.
Oh yeah now we are seeing armadillos. Crazy.

really armadillos? what the heck are they doing up that way?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yes it is amazing how big they are. Act nothing like normal coyotes
Here in Tennessee they have done DNA testing on coyotes and found that they have been breeding with wolves. Test results showed that they had up to 1/4 wolf DNA in some of those sampled. They are bigger & smarter than ever and it's only going to get worse. One thing I have been told by a friend who studies these sort of things though is that it's not always a good idea to kill the alpha female in a pack. They generally won't allow the other females in the pack to breed but if the alpha is killed the pack will scatter and all the females will then breed and you'll have multiple packs running around when you only had 1 before. Maybe Tnmountains can chime in with actual facts on this ? He seems to know a bit about this stuff.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SMH... Maybe if you hold hands with them and sing Kumbaya they won't kill your chickens, cats, small dogs... Dude grow up and stop trolling every thread that mentions guns. It gets old. Maybe you've not had to console your wife after hearing the coyotes rip her kitten to shreds one night. I have so give it a rest..
And I'm pretty sure insulting other members is against the rules

Dude, telling me to grow up is an insult, dude. Just like calling someone a "towel head" is an insult as well, dude.

My issue is people who walk through the woods and blast anything they feel threatened by. Get some stones and stop being afraid of every little creature in the woods.

I know coyotes kill cats, rabbits and those little yipping dogs. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors at night. If you have chickens, spend some money on fencing that will keep the predators out. Common sense and a decent education goes a long way in this world...

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nature always finds a way. Most of our issues with interbreeding of species, wild hogs, feral cats, wild dog packs, it's because of humans anyway. We always think we can control things that we can't and nature does weird things. The wild hogs spreading through America were brought here. Most problems we encounter are caused by us.
Too many irresponsible pet owners and people dump animals off everyday. We are most of the problem unfortunately.
Things go fine until we get involved haha.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning to those throwing insults, either the insults end or the ability to do anything other than reading posts ends for a long while........

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude, telling me to grow up is an insult, dude. Just like calling someone a "towel head" is an insult as well, dude.

My issue is people who walk through the woods and blast anything they feel threatened by. Get some stones and stop being afraid of every little creature in the woods.

I know coyotes kill cats, rabbits and those little yipping dogs. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors at night. If you have chickens, spend some money on fencing that will keep the predators out. Common sense and a decent education goes a long way in this world...

Education ,yes!
Like..coyotes kill during the day too. As well as climb fences.
Who blasts anything they feel threatened by? We have laws regarding wildlife conservation and blasting when threatened can have consequences.

Too, study the H.S.U.S. and S.P.C.A. and any animal shelter other than no kill need to be researched by you to follow the money spent on animal welfare vs the organisation ( percent of each dollar) ,as well as where animals go ,how soon, and what has been killed. Numbers and species.

My county is finally turning it's operation of it's shelter ...After many years of gassing pets in a barrel and worse,selling them for " studies".

A gal I knew dropped her two dogs off at a shelter with food till adopted and when she stopped back to visit them in a day or two ,they were already dead.

Being educated and concerned matters.
Taking money for killing pets should go to preserving them.

Mind wildlife management or conservation funded in large part by hunter dollars to ensure the resource. Not a casual approach or small amount of study and funding.
Laws are based on science( biological and human social) and habitat capacity .
When a state has no closed season on coyotes there is a sound reason , and aggressive canines of any specie risk forfeiting their lives when conflict with humans is involved.
Just like bears lose when overly conditioned to humans ( or for some ,simply exposed by intrusion)and treat them like other bears. No, it is not the bears fault.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just give it a rest already. The only reason your commenting on anything here has to be to insult, instigate, and to feel virtuous about how good of a person you think you are. Quit demeaning people because they don't share the same view point as you. Quit acting like you know everything about everyones situation and that your word is the final correct answer. What are you getting out of this that makes it so important to you? Why do you feel the need to interject your view to others in such a negative way?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nature always finds a way. Most of our issues with interbreeding of species, wild hogs, feral cats, wild dog packs, it's because of humans anyway. We always think we can control things that we can't and nature does weird things. The wild hogs spreading through America were brought here. Most problems we encounter are caused by us.
Too many irresponsible pet owners and people dump animals off everyday. We are most of the problem unfortunately.
Things go fine until we get involved haha

Yup, just like the pythons in Florida! I'm an animal lover, but those boys are out of control. Anything that can kill a gator is something I don't want to run into!

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an opinion and so do you. That's why it's called a discussion board.

Yes and thats fine. I have no problem with your opinion, but you need not be demeaning or insulting as you are. Thats the main whole point you missed from my comments. I urge you to consider the way you have a habit of approaching people here on these forums, as this is not the first thread you have acted with this deplorable demeanor.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coyotes are predators...if they're hungry and see what they consider to be "food",
then they're going after it. Pet dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, rodents of all kinds.

Someone mentioned a farmer who let the coyotes run in his fields...there's a good
reason for that, as the coyotes keep the raccoons, rabbits, deer and other critters
from eating his crops.

If you're out in the woods (their territory) and you see a coyote, then enjoy the
moment. If you feel threatened by one or more, then stand your ground and
fight them only if needed. Moving out of the area is your best bet.

In my earlier years as a trapper and professional hunter for a number of agencies,
it was my job to remove dangerous predators from around livestock (sheep mostly)
as well as taking their pelts for the fur trade. I've killed more coyotes than most of
you have ever seen (cumulative), and for the most part my philosophy now is: If
the critter isn't causing a problem, then leave them the hell alone.

JMHO, but at .22 Mag is insufficient for taking a coyote at any distance
over 50yds. Please, don't cause animals needless suffering, so if you're going to
kill one make sure you use sufficient means, and then confirm that the animal is
expired. Leaving a wounded critter in the woods leads to a painful, miserable death
which the critter does not deserve.

The last coyote I trapped was in a field near where my 2nd wife and I lived. Wife
wanted it gone, so while I did trap it that night, I released it the next morning after
a very stern lecture on where it should live, and to stay the hell off my turf. That
was about 1991. (and we never saw her again)

If you feel that a pack is threatening you, then you are clearly in a spot in their
territory where they don't want you. Could be they have pups in a den nearby?
Either way, just move out of the area and come back at a later time. You'll
live another day, and so will they.

Fear the predators you don't see..the black bears who *might* stalk you (maybe),
the cougars that you will never know are there until it pounces on your back, the
rattlesnake (and other snakes), as well as hornets, wasps, etc.

My two centavos worth...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are predators...if they're hungry and see what they consider to be "food",
then they're going after it. Pet dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, rodents of all kinds.

Someone mentioned a farmer who let the coyotes run in his fields...there's a good
reason for that, as the coyotes keep the raccoons, rabbits, deer and other critters
from eating his crops.

If you're out in the woods (their territory) and you see a coyote, then enjoy the
moment. If you feel threatened by one or more, then stand your ground and
fight them only if needed. Moving out of the area is your best bet.

In my earlier years as a trapper and professional hunter for a number of agencies,
it was my job to remove dangerous predators from around livestock (sheep mostly)
as well as taking their pelts for the fur trade. I've killed more coyotes than most of
you have ever seen (cumulative), and for the most part my philosophy now is: If
the critter isn't causing a problem, then leave them the hell alone.

JMHO, but at .22 Mag is insufficient for taking a coyote at any distance
over 50yds. Please, don't cause animals needless suffering, so if you're going to
kill one make sure you use sufficient means, and then confirm that the animal is
expired. Leaving a wounded critter in the woods leads to a painful, miserable death
which the critter does not deserve.

The last coyote I trapped was in a field near where my 2nd wife and I lived. Wife
wanted it gone, so while I did trap it that night, I released it the next morning after
a very stern lecture on where it should live, and to stay the hell off my turf. That
was about 1991. (and we never saw her again)

If you feel that a pack is threatening you, then you are clearly in a spot in their
territory where they don't want you. Could be they have pups in a den nearby?
Either way, just move out of the area and come back at a later time. You'll
live another day, and so will they.

Fear the predators you don't see..the black bears who *might* stalk you (maybe),
the cougars that you will never know are there until it pounces on your back, the
rattlesnake (and other snakes), as well as hornets, wasps, etc.

My two centavos worth...

Yup, you have great words of wisdom here. I try everything before killing, don't even enjoy hunting or killing animals, but I still do it. I feel better about harvesting my own healthy meat rather than buying poorly raised and slaughtered animals from the store. I also only hunt species that are overpopulated. On another note, I am so glad I have no venomous snakes here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread