Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3251 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    'round here I treat coyotes about the same as a mosquito, yellow jacket, or house fly. I smack them quick and smack them hard.
    Yup, I do the same thing to people who abuse animals. First offense, I smack them quick and smack them hard. Second offense is punishable by death, though. Easy to dispose of the bodies when you live next to a reservoir that holds 39 billion gallons of water.

Lewis: Do know what's gonna be here? Right here? A lake. As far as the eyes can see. Hundreds of feet deep. HUNDREDS of feet deep. Did you ever look out over a lake and think of somethin' buried underneath it? Buried underneath it. Well man, that's just about as buried as you can get
    Scene from "Deliverance"
    coinman123 likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    1391 times
    There used to be a bounty on coyote around here but most people forgot why and the greenie fruits convinced the watermelon(red on the inside) legislature to repeal it. I think it was only a buck a pair of ears, but the bounty was effective.

There used to be a bounty on wolves 100 years ago and we reintroduced timber wolves to the Midwest. Now all the deer hunters and most of the farmers are getting their lunch ate by predators, but they are the minority. People have forgotten the totality of increased preadator population in favor of a diverse ecosystem, never mind if it is a balanced ecosystem, so long as it has diversity.

Remember boys and girls- every pet a coyote eats means another whitetail deer that got to live another day. So don't be so selfish, just think of a all the deer you saved next time spot the dog or freckles the cat gets ate. So what if it isn't safe to keep a pet, you got a diverse ecosystem. Isn't that what you asked for?
    Tpmetal and T.C. like this.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

us
    Jan 2007
    morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
    1082 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Yup, I do the same thing to people who abuse animals. First offense, I smack them quick and smack them hard. Second offense is punishable by death, though. Easy to dispose of the bodies when you live next to a reservoir that holds 39 billion gallons of water.

Scene from "Deliverance"
    Im not afraid of deep water or hot air.
    'round here, they would just throw you in with the hogs, nuthin left but the soles of your shoes.
    Tpmetal likes this.
    No longer politically correct

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    1391 times
    That sounds abusive towards humans. Humans are animals, but not the other way around.

Go fill your pockets with rocks and go for a swim, if you must.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP DEUS, ATP
    705 times
    I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tedyoh; Sep 13, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Tpmetal likes this.

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    3670 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada
    Nice article. I think that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unless they have rabies which is quite rare. Most wild animals that I see run away as fast as they can if they see people. I would probably be out of there pretty quick though if I heard them so close to me, normally I only hear them far off in the distance. I get very scared when I see a loose dog running towards me, growling and barking. I don't carry firearms with me, though I do think it is a wise idea to do so, especially if you are in a bad part of town where you may get robbed. Also, In the unlikely occasion that you get lost deep in the woods, it would help to have some type of firearm in case you need to hunt for food. It also probably feels better knowing that you have some defense in case something happens while metal detecting.

Good luck at the cellar hole!
    Tpmetal likes this.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779 Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    152 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3251 times
    That sounds abusive towards humans. Humans are animals, but not the other way around
    "The only good human, is a dead human"

Planet of the Apes

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3251 times
    Go fill your pockets with rocks and go for a swim, if you must
    Actually, that's how you keep them from floating to the top of the water. How'd you know that trick?

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3251 times
    I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....
    Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    1391 times
    That is a jolly nice article Freebirdtim, but I tried "not bothering the coyotes", and they still bother me raving mad. You see, the coyotes eat about half the deer fawns and most all the rabbits in my area. It does not just bother me, it makes me want to kill. Not because I hate, its got nothing to do with love or hate. I just prefer deer and rabbits over coyote. That's all.
    doc-d likes this.

Aug 2017
    5 times
    In the Berkshires of Mass here... same breed. Size of german shepherds... I'm a trail runner also and I'll tell ya"... when there is a pack near you letting loose with some talk the reasoning goes out of your head and the cave man reflex kicks in. These aren't western coy dogs.... these are big ole buggers that make ya' think twice...
    Tpmetal, Medina Joe and T.C. like this.

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP DEUS, ATP
    705 times
    Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...
    That's nothing.....you won't believe me but in PA we long range deer at 800 yards plus....whats more manly is dragging a 175 lbs animal a mile across a mountain with a 45 degree slope covered in shale back to the truck.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tpmetal, Medina Joe, doc-d and 2 others like this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1781 times
    Tippy, my cat make friends with a mother skunk and her two babies.
    Tpmetal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7031 times
    Metal Detecting
    Not in my county. $20 to renew for five years . . . now. I paid something like $10 in 1976 (plus maybe a $15 fee for the FBI fingerprint check) and it only was a $5 fee to update whenever a new pistol was added since then. This mandatory renewal stuff is new with the SAFE Act in the last few years. (Damn Gov. Cuomo).

BUT - you do have to complete an eight-hour "class" that cost something like $150 for an unrestricted permit. That's a requirement of the county issuing judge. It was actually a lot of fun (we each shot off over 100 rounds). I took the course through Rochester Personal Defense LLC.

Note that for a permit for hunting and target shooting (restricted permit) you don't need the course. But the initial background check and fingerprint check is probably a hefty fee now. Again, the fee depends on your county.
    Tpmetal likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Frank

Jun 2013
    Jefferson City, Tennessee
    JW Fisher Pulse 8X; Minelab CTX 3030 & Sovereign Elite; White's GMT, Beach Hunter Id, Surf PI, Coinmaster Classic II, 6000 Di S2, an old GM 66-T with 5 coils & GM 65-T with 3 coils.
    3932 times
    Gold and Gem prospecting & Error/Variety Coin Research/Searching/Consulting and Collecting.
    I hunt but I don't abuse animals nor humans but at the same time I will not tolerate attacks from either. If either decide to charge on, they will find out the hard way that I am not someone to contend with. Where I hunt and Gold prospect, there are lots of Coyotes, Black Bear, Wild Boar (the mean European Wild Hogs), Cougar, Rattlesnakes, Copperhead snakes, an occasional Grey Wolf and Meth Head and/or Pot Growing Humans. I have been charged by Black Bear twice and had other close encounters with them, been stalked by Coyotes many times and had fairly close encounters with most of the others. I usually hunt and prospect alone and do not go into the woods anymore without some type of protection. That may be my' big Buck Knife, a very sharp Machete, a very sharp axe, a shotgun, a rifle, a pistol or a combination of several of these. I know that some are only protecting their' territory or offspring and I do my best to take these into account when considering whether I can scare them off or if I will have to dispatch them to the next life. When you have walked in someone else's shoes in the areas they live and hunt and have been in similar situations that they have, then maybe you will have a clue on how life really is in some areas.

I have a 500+ acre field next to my' home and another one across the highway. Currently the one next to my' home is planted with Soybeans and the one across the highway is planted in Corn. There is at least 50 Coyotes in each field every day and night and the property owner like you, will do nothing about them even though they have killed hundreds of livestock, cats, and dogs and countless other small animals and birds in this area. I have grandkids that live with me and we have pets and it is unnerving to have Coyotes howling 5 to 10 feet on the other side of the fence from my' property. I dare you to venture in either field day or night without being armed.

Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Sep 13, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Tpmetal, Medina Joe and T.C. like this.
    U.S. Army Veteran (Nov. 27, 1972 to Mar. 30, 1978) and Federal Government Employee (Nov. 19, 1978 to Jul. 30, 2011), now retired with a total Federal Service of 38 years and 15 days. I am a Coin Collector, Searcher & Researcher at heart with main interests in Error & Variety Coins. I also love Gold and Gem Prospecting, Metal Detecting when and where I can, Ginseng and Herb Hunting, Long Range Shooting, Hunting and Fishing as well as research on Spanish Shipwrecks.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links