Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    Anywhere but here!!
    4150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...
    Being manly or having courage has nothing to do with it! It takes skill and the need to cull a predatory animal that is both a danger to livestock, pets and humans as well. I have the skill and weapons to shoot some animals and humans at close to a mile but I have never had to. If rag head terrorists come to kill me or my family, then I will shoot as many as I can no matter how far away they are.

Frank

nl
    Sep 2017
    Assen
    Xp deus
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    wel i understand why u guys carry guns now lol bears wolfs coyotes .
    i said i only see like bunnys and deers here so dont need a gun until i get hungry but one time i fot premmision of a farmer to detect on his farmland .
    the dude askt me if i was scared of cows so i said ofcourse not .
    than when i was detecting i see in the distance one freaking musseld cow behind a fence and the farmer unlocking the fence .
    that cow he was talking about had giant balls and bit angry look in his eyes his 'cow ' rund straight at me so i rund away .
    becouse i dont wanne end up on one of his horns .
    i jumpt the fence and got in mi car than when i askt the farmer wtf was his problem he told me he dont like ppl on his propperty ........
    i freaking wish i had a gun so i could send that bull on skitrip in mi freezer
    huntsman53 and wainzoid like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    Anywhere but here!!
    4150 times
    Wow, the farmer didn't want you on his' property but gave you permission anyway just so he could unleash the bull on you to run you off the property! If you had been armed with a gun, you should have shot the damn bull and ended the farmers foolish pranks.

Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM.
    T.C. likes this.

nl
    Sep 2017
    Assen
    Xp deus
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes sir but wel here its soooo hard to get a gun legal and if u have one legal u cant carry it u need put it in fault appart from ammo and only use to shoot damm carts in shooting range ...
    Soo end of storry crimminals have guns annyway and normal ppl csnt have so devenceles against crimminals yeey holland

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot
    7012 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    20 years ago you never saw coyotes here now we have many. The state has an open season on them and no limit. I have found that what ever you take out just fills back up so I do not worry about the few deer and fawns they eat we have many. It is the wild dogs running and killing the deer for sport that we have a problem with. They will dog a deer until it collapses. We take out the wild dogs every season. I let the coyotes slide they have their niche. The little pets people drop off out in the country not so much. People that drop off animals (pets) in the mountains thinking they will be ok are wrong. I manage over 4000 acs and we keep it well balanced.
    Oh yeah now we are seeing armadillos. Crazy.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Aug 2017
    Central Oregon.
    181 times
    All this coyote talk, might as well put in my 2 cents, I live in Central Oregon, the high Desert, premium coyote country, there are coyote killing contests here, on the radio and all. I live 15 miles from town and have yotes in my back yard, I like having them around if they are not predating on Deer antelope and ELK, which most of their diet is ground squirrel, then rabbits and Quail, we have the rare Pigmy cottontails and I make places for them close to the house, they hurt Nothing..

Our Rottweiler has a female coyote admirer, she will not leave when he is out in the fenced area, even caught her backing up to the fence, Yeah, I can see why CoyWolfs are getting more prevalent, They are a very different predator, More aggressive and they do stalk humans, more of a curiosity to them I think.

A Good slingshot is a way to keep them back away from you for you east coast guys or get a snake charmer(.410Ga). Packs of wild dogs are DEADLY but rarely seen here. I lived and Hunted Alaska so Grizzly is one that you must respect or get eaten, Coyote's not so much.
    DizzyDigger, huntsman53 and T.C. like this.

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timfromholland View Post
    serious u guys in us carry a handgun while metaldetecting thats some serious stuf .
    the scaryest animal i encountered while detecting was a bunny.
    Well we have critters here than can eat you so....
    huntsman53 likes this.
    Live Free or Die

us
    Feb 2010
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...
    SMH... Maybe if you hold hands with them and sing Kumbaya they won't kill your chickens, cats, small dogs... Dude grow up and stop trolling every thread that mentions guns. It gets old. Maybe you've not had to console your wife after hearing the coyotes rip her kitten to shreds one night. I have so give it a rest..
    And I'm pretty sure insulting other members is against the rules..
    Live Free or Die

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    I feel pretty sure that the reason I have yet to feel fear is that I give off a predator vibe that goes out like a half mile
    if I was attacked by coyotes I would climb a tree ( which I don't carry with me)
    hahaha nearly spit my coffee out
    huntsman53 likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    There used to be a bounty on coyote around here but most people forgot why and the greenie fruits convinced the watermelon(red on the inside) legislature to repeal it. I think it was only a buck a pair of ears, but the bounty was effective.

There used to be a bounty on wolves 100 years ago and we reintroduced timber wolves to the Midwest. Now all the deer hunters and most of the farmers are getting their lunch ate by predators, but they are the minority. People have forgotten the totality of increased preadator population in favor of a diverse ecosystem, never mind if it is a balanced ecosystem, so long as it has diversity.

Remember boys and girls- every pet a coyote eats means another whitetail deer that got to live another day. So don't be so selfish, just think of a all the deer you saved next time spot the dog or freckles the cat gets ate. So what if it isn't safe to keep a pet, you got a diverse ecosystem. Isn't that what you asked for?
    i can't spit without hitting a dang deer around here
    Last edited by Tpmetal; Sep 14, 2017 at 08:11 AM.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wainzoid View Post
    Im not afraid of deep water or hot air.
    'round here, they would just throw you in with the hogs, nuthin left but the soles of your shoes.
    I can do one better, I work with huge glass furnaces. 2300 degrees, even the shoes will cease to exist.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coinman123 View Post
    Nice article. I think that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unless they have rabies which is quite rare. Most wild animals that I see run away as fast as they can if they see people. I would probably be out of there pretty quick though if I heard them so close to me, normally I only hear them far off in the distance. I get very scared when I see a loose dog running towards me, growling and barking. I don't carry firearms with me, though I do think it is a wise idea to do so, especially if you are in a bad part of town where you may get robbed. Also, In the unlikely occasion that you get lost deep in the woods, it would help to have some type of firearm in case you need to hunt for food. It also probably feels better knowing that you have some defense in case something happens while metal detecting.

Good luck at the cellar hole!
    yeah they usually do leave you alone or scare off easily, but every once in a while they try it to see what happens. Can't wait to get back to that cellar hole, hoping the cold rain today matts the grass down.
    coinman123 likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarm View Post
    In the Berkshires of Mass here... same breed. Size of german shepherds... I'm a trail runner also and I'll tell ya"... when there is a pack near you letting loose with some talk the reasoning goes out of your head and the cave man reflex kicks in. These aren't western coy dogs.... these are big ole buggers that make ya' think twice...
    Yes it is amazing how big they are. Act nothing like normal coyotes

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    20 years ago you never saw coyotes here now we have many. The state has an open season on them and no limit. I have found that what ever you take out just fills back up so I do not worry about the few deer and fawns they eat we have many. It is the wild dogs running and killing the deer for sport that we have a problem with. They will dog a deer until it collapses. We take out the wild dogs every season. I let the coyotes slide they have their niche. The little pets people drop off out in the country not so much. People that drop off animals (pets) in the mountains thinking they will be ok are wrong. I manage over 4000 acs and we keep it well balanced.
    Oh yeah now we are seeing armadillos. Crazy.
    really armadillos? what the heck are they doing up that way?
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    Feb 2010
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Yes it is amazing how big they are. Act nothing like normal coyotes
    Here in Tennessee they have done DNA testing on coyotes and found that they have been breeding with wolves. Test results showed that they had up to 1/4 wolf DNA in some of those sampled. They are bigger & smarter than ever and it's only going to get worse. One thing I have been told by a friend who studies these sort of things though is that it's not always a good idea to kill the alpha female in a pack. They generally won't allow the other females in the pack to breed but if the alpha is killed the pack will scatter and all the females will then breed and you'll have multiple packs running around when you only had 1 before. Maybe Tnmountains can chime in with actual facts on this ? He seems to know a bit about this stuff.
    Last edited by NHBandit; Sep 14, 2017 at 08:43 AM.
    huntsman53 and T.C. like this.
    Live Free or Die

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links