Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead junk skunked.Not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been putting off my pistol permit/concealed carry for a very long time now. Mostly due to cost. Thinking I might have to bite the bullet though and go for it.

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
serious u guys in us carry a handgun while metaldetecting thats some serious stuf .
the scaryest animal i encountered while detecting was a bunny.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
serious u guys in us carry a handgun while metaldetecting thats some serious stuf .
the scaryest animal i encountered while detecting was a bunny.

We got bears, some of the biggest coyotes in the country, cougars, occasionally theres panther sightings, bob cats. All sorts of stuff that can potentially mess with you. This is the 3rd time in my life I've been hunted by coyotes. You can tell they are hunting you because they come around your flanks quietly yipping to each other while one makes a lot of noise in front of you to distract you. That way the others can check you out. You never worry about the one howling, it is his 10 friends checking you out in the bushes right next to you that you have to worry about.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead junk skunked.Not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.

dude i always get shunked on a hunt and i carry 22 cal pellet gun

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a handgun everywhere, but it's not because of the 'yotes!

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a handgun everywhere, but it's not because of the 'yotes!

yup, around me thats less of a concern, people are still a concern but much less compared to some animals. But thats always on the back of my mind.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude i always get shunked on a hunt and i carry 22 cal pellet gun

That will do nothing more than piss off any of the animals I am worried about. I need a .45 .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
That will do nothing more than piss off any of the animals I am worried about. I need a .45 .

no you need a pump 12 shot gun

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no you need a pump 12 shot gun

I have many shotguns, I am not lugging one of the around with me. To heavy and cumbersome while detecting

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Free bird, around me coyotes had bred with coy wolf. They act nothing like normal coyotes, more like wolves. They are also much larger than normal coyotes, a few years back a 75 lb one was shot just over the hill from me. Ive had friends and family surrounded and harassed. People get treed and stuck intheir stands during bow season. I've been in the woods my whole life, I know animals. When these types of coyotes get in the larger packs they will challenge anything. [ Comment Removed. ] I've encountered them many times in my life, and have been hunted by them 3 times now. I Will do whatever is necessary to keep myself and my family safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to consider a Rattler single ear headphone. You can keep one ear on the detecting and one for other sounds.

I have an unrestricted carry permit and the coyotes are far down on my list of concerns. We live in a wooded area and they are common (and visit our chickens routinely). Black bears as well - though they keep a distance. I have them on game camera images 250 yards from our back door.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is anyones right to be armed for whatever reason they choose. Let people worry about their own safety, unless you are willing to accompany them for security.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to consider a Rattler single ear headphone. You can keep one ear on the detecting and one for other sounds.

I have an unrestricted carry permit and the coyotes are far down on my list of concerns. We live in a wooded area and they are common (and visit our chickens routinely). Black bears as well - though they keep a distance. I have them on game camera images 250 yards from our back door.

yeah I only rock one headphone, I like the idea of a set made with just one ear. My buddy has one he uses that I've been eyeballing. Bears are a problem here as well, out of anything around me I'm more worried about young male black bears and cougars. Though by the time you see a cougar, it's usually too late. Everyone says coyotes aren't a problem because statistics. To that i say not many people wander in the woods at night by themselves when yotes are active. That's why encounters with them are so low. They wouldn't try a damn thing if there's two of you. They are very intelligent animals.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have many shotguns, I am not lugging one of the around with me. To heavy and cumbersome while detecting

then a judge pistol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had yotes " visit" and approach close in the dark while tending to downed deer while awaiting my departure.
Interesting for sure. A rifle shot can be like ringing a dinner bell and require checking for scent of blood , quick like.

Check out rabies in N.Y..
Though I do not hunt there ,I do not expect to outrun a coyote here. Or other sick creatures.

Yote predation on fawns is natural , though not pretty; but yotes remain highly discriminated against here. Twenty doe and only one fawn last November on an informal survey of an area.
Once fawns are thinned out ,attention turns to next convenient prey.
They have not scored on any of my small dogs ,yet. Though they certainly have on those of others.
When the coyote watch sign is on the door....a gun is at hand. Same as in the woods/ field.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just carry a dozen fire crackers in your pocket..light one off now
and then and the critters will usually stay away.

The Northeastern coyote is larger and more square jawed than the
western version. Never heard of a wolf/coyote hybrid, but I guess
it's certainly possible, and that hybrid critter would indeed be more
aggressive.

If you seem them appearing to stalk you, your best move is to
get aggressive yourself. Throw rocks, yell at them and swing
your detector; let them know you mean business. One thing
predators fear is being injured, as then they can not hunt to
feed themselves.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just carry a dozen fire crackers in your pocket..light one off now
and then and the critters will usually stay away.

The Northeastern coyote is larger and more square jawed than the
western version. Never heard of a wolf/coyote hybrid, but I guess
it's certainly possible, and that hybrid critter would indeed be more
aggressive.

If you seem them appearing to stalk you, your best move is to
get aggressive yourself. Throw rocks, yell at them and swing
your detector; let them know you mean business. One thing
predators fear is being injured, as then they can not hunt to
feed themselves.

i'v had one of those hybrid coyotes run across my field before they are huge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread