Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree327Likes

Thread: Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    997 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead junk skunked.Not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP DEUS, ATP
    704 times
    I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedyoh View Post
    I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I've been putting off my pistol permit/concealed carry for a very long time now. Mostly due to cost. Thinking I might have to bite the bullet though and go for it.
    Wrightdigger and Mzjavert like this.

nl
    Sep 2017
    Assen
    Xp deus
    139 times
    Metal Detecting
    serious u guys in us carry a handgun while metaldetecting thats some serious stuf .
    the scaryest animal i encountered while detecting was a bunny.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timfromholland View Post
    serious u guys in us carry a handgun while metaldetecting thats some serious stuf .
    the scaryest animal i encountered while detecting was a bunny.
    We got bears, some of the biggest coyotes in the country, cougars, occasionally theres panther sightings, bob cats. All sorts of stuff that can potentially mess with you. This is the 3rd time in my life I've been hunted by coyotes. You can tell they are hunting you because they come around your flanks quietly yipping to each other while one makes a lot of noise in front of you to distract you. That way the others can check you out. You never worry about the one howling, it is his 10 friends checking you out in the bushes right next to you that you have to worry about.

us
    Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    356 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead junk skunked.Not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.
    dude i always get shunked on a hunt and i carry 22 cal pellet gun

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Western Kentucky
    Garrett AT Pro
    152 times
    I carry a handgun everywhere, but it's not because of the 'yotes!
    2017 Totals
    Rosies 60
    Mercs 6
    IHC 2
    Wheats 544
    War Nickels 39
    Buffalo 18
    Silver Ike 1
    1964 Ken 15
    40% 92
    Bens 3
    Walkers 3
    Seated Half 1

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    I carry a handgun everywhere, but it's not because of the 'yotes!
    yup, around me thats less of a concern, people are still a concern but much less compared to some animals. But thats always on the back of my mind.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold boy View Post
    dude i always get shunked on a hunt and i carry 22 cal pellet gun
    That will do nothing more than piss off any of the animals I am worried about. I need a .45 .

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3251 times
    Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

us
    Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    356 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    That will do nothing more than piss off any of the animals I am worried about. I need a .45 .
    no you need a pump 12 shot gun

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold boy View Post
    no you need a pump 12 shot gun
    I have many shotguns, I am not lugging one of the around with me. To heavy and cumbersome while detecting
    Wrightdigger, Mzjavert and trdking like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Free bird, around me coyotes had bred with coy wolf. They act nothing like normal coyotes, more like wolves. They are also much larger than normal coyotes, a few years back a 75 lb one was shot just over the hill from me. Ive had friends and family surrounded and harassed. People get treed and stuck intheir stands during bow season. I've been in the woods my whole life, I know animals. When these types of coyotes get in the larger packs they will challenge anything. [ Comment Removed. ] I've encountered them many times in my life, and have been hunted by them 3 times now. I Will do whatever is necessary to keep myself and my family safe.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7029 times
    Metal Detecting
    You might want to consider a Rattler single ear headphone. You can keep one ear on the detecting and one for other sounds.

I have an unrestricted carry permit and the coyotes are far down on my list of concerns. We live in a wooded area and they are common (and visit our chickens routinely). Black bears as well - though they keep a distance. I have them on game camera images 250 yards from our back door.
    Tpmetal and against the wind like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post

It is anyones right to be armed for whatever reason they choose. Let people worry about their own safety, unless you are willing to accompany them for security.
    Tpmetal, Tedyoh, 3cylbill and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links