What do you do with destroyed coins / My biggest "pocket drop" yet

Bigjdub

Jul 21, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you save common coins that are compleatly destroyed and unusable or do you throw them away with your foil and bits of iron trash? I have been saving them because part of me doesn't want to throw them away because it's money. At the same time many of them couldn't even be snuck into rolls or run through a CoinStar machine so they are worthless. The ground in this area seems to eat pennies alive. The ones I find on the beach I understand but these came out of the ground 2-4 inches down and 5 miles from the ocean.

Like I also said in the title this is the largest pocket drop I have ever found. Not in terms of value but the amount of coins. 39 common Lincoln pennies all in a 1 foot area. The few I can read the dates on are from the 70s. All of the ones I can see well enough are not wheat. 28 of them are a compleat loss with missing areas rotted away and the others feel about half their normal weight and like I could probably break them in my hands.

So, what do you do with finds like this? I want to figure out something interesting to do with coins like this.

Attachments

• 20170913_224700.jpg
    20170913_224700.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincolns? I put them in the landfill where they belong.

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wel i hoard all ugly bad and useles coins wanne put them in old broken jar in mi displaycase some da day this i found in last couple weeks IMG_0456.JPG

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got several pounds of the zincoids, totally worthless other than for showing what our money is worth. being made out of zinc since around 1983 I believe, they deteriorate very quickly in just about any where, water or soil. common real pennies can get pretty toasted due to mineral conditions etc but don't look like they had acid spilled onto them leaving holes etc. the sad part is that every one of them represent a wasted hole, just like a pull tab or any other bit of trash.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do run them through a rock tumbler to kind of "clean them up" a bit. I have them in a couple of large older mason jars. They are pretty much for say a "show & tell" sort of thing. People who do not detect are really surprised at what happens to these things. The bent, cut or whatever clad and nickels go into a smaller mason, again just for something of interest. Same holds true for what I call "railroad money", flattened coins I spotted all those years working on the tracks, again in another jar, all shapes and sizes, novelty items to look at. Why?, I don't know, but then, why not?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get a lot of little kids that come over and ask what I am doing and they usually join me on the hunt so I let them keep all the pennies I find. They have an ear to ear grin when they leave with a handful of pennies so all is good.
The real junk ones that make it home in my pouch end up in a junk pile that eventually gets tossed... nobody likes to throw away money but those crusty Zincolns are just worthless.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean em up as best you can and spend them at Walmart. When they say they can't take them just look at them and say that is all you have. They haven't turned them down yet. I'm sure they discard them back into the ground......

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them to the bank to exchange(pretty sure they legally have to do that for you(someone correct me if I'm wrong), never had an issue before), though I do wait till I have an amt. that is worth driving there for. I detect to try and find "cool" stuff and supplement the family income with exchanges and sales but most of the time you just get common currency, I use that to supplement my coffee addiction.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You say you found them all close, well :laughing7: some other detectorist has found a way of getting rid of there junk money:laughing7:

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind my post below, you can only get "bullion (metal) value"
https://www.frbservices.org/operations/currency/mutilated_currency_and_coin.html

But what if I took all my copper pennies & bent them, could I get the copper value instead of face value?

I put all into a jar. One day I'll put them into a priority mail box and send them to the US treasury. They have to review and replace them all and send them back.
You can get a lot of change into the small box and if I get more then the shipping that's good, but I'm going to do it just because I can't throw money away.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a paper weight by encasing them in an acrylic resin.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we could glue 5 of them on a piece of cardboard in various stages of decay, and sell it for a dollar as an educational tool, our eco system in action, recycling metals! [emoji1]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the most challenging up-cycle project ever!

Someone mentioned putting them in Mason jars. Add a cool label stating how many cents are in the jar and sell on esty.

Add some marble's for color.

Make the paper weights mentioned and sell on esty.

Encapulate one each, make Bolo ties. Sell on esty. You could potentially make the most $$$ going this route.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take them to parks and beaches where some metal detecting "Guru's" I've had unpleasant experiences with hunt, and I leave them "secret" messages! :laughing7:

Attachments

• loser.jpg
    loser.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 51

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
destroyed or unusable coins go into a treasure chest
if you live near a uS mint - they will usually exchange them - I have friend near PHILLY MINT
they will bag them up and stop by and trade them in - you may have to make arrangements
or contact first

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you save common coins that are compleatly destroyed and unusable or do you throw them away with your foil and bits of iron trash? I have been saving them because part of me doesn't want to throw them away because it's money. At the same time many of them couldn't even be snuck into rolls or run through a CoinStar machine so they are worthless. The ground in this area seems to eat pennies alive. The ones I find on the beach I understand but these came out of the ground 2-4 inches down and 5 miles from the ocean.

Like I also said in the title this is the largest pocket drop I have ever found. Not in terms of value but the amount of coins. 39 common Lincoln pennies all in a 1 foot area. The few I can read the dates on are from the 70s. All of the ones I can see well enough are not wheat. 28 of them are a compleat loss with missing areas rotted away and the others feel about half their normal weight and like I could probably break them in my hands.

So, what do you do with finds like this? I want to figure out something interesting to do with coins like this.
Yes, there is a law that all federally insured banks must accept them. They still are money and worth their face value. Go up to the teller and plop them down. Ask for them to be exchanged. If she says no, remind her that banks must accept them. Stay there until she calls the manager. Put up a fuss if need be. They will take them.... have some FUN with this! ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions