Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after some great laughs had on another thread, I decided to start a new one. This is to share all the messed up, funny, dangerous, stupid things we have done as kids. Such as the time my brother, a friend, and I got our boy scout troop banned from a scout camp. So picture 3 little devil children all separated by about a year in age, who were entirely to smart for their own good. Our troop was invited to try out a new scout camp that year. This camp was was a bit ritsy were most of The city kids went to camp. The camp councilers were traditionally 18 years of age, which is important because one was about to be beautifully out witted by a 10, 11, and 12 year old. The counciler had a big pot of oil with a lid on and it is heating on the fire getting ready to do some cooking. Suddenly it boils over and catches on fire. In this moment we all 3 look at this moron pacing around trying to figure out what to do. We then looked at each other, and with out a word spoken we silently agreed it was time to really mess with this guy. One of us starts yelling "you gotta take the lid off, hurry up you gotta take the lid off." This dummy actually listens to us and grabs the hook abd pulls off the lid. The flames now jump up and start burning more vigorously, and the poor counciler begins to loose his composure and panics. We see this as another opportunity and start screaming that he needs to throw some water on it. Now if you have ever thrown water on an oil fire, then you know what's coming next. This sucker grabs a 5 gallon bucket of water and throws it directly in the pot, releasing the full fury and potential that oil contained. Flames exploded everywhere, sending burning oil in all directions. Now the fire is out of control and there are 3 kids rolling around in the grass just dying laughing and this guy runs around trying to put out all the grass fires. Soon many camp councilers came running to help extingish the inferno. The next morning or entire troop was asked to leave, also being told that "you are never invited back." :laughing7: oh man we were bad kids. I'll post another story when I get some time.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm when maybe 13? went sledding at a local park
my two cousins and I went down the hill on an upside down car hood

hit a telephone pole and my cousin from texas nearly cut off a finger

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remembered one more quick one here. We used to take a family camping trip every year with my cousins, actually we still do. At the time all the bathrooms were out houses with no electricity. We used wait till dark and would jump on our bikes. We then rode to the furthest end of the camp ground and would start at the last outhouse. We took those little firecrackers that go off when you pull the strings apart, and would fashion them to every outhouse door on or way back to camp. Now picture someone waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Wandering into an outhouse with no lights, and then most likely proceed to mess their pants when they opened the stall door to what sounded like a gun shot in such tight quarters. I'm pretty sure Satan himself took over control when my cousins and brother and I got together....

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG...where do i begin? One time my brothers made a kite out of 2 x 4's, and a sheet and took the neighbor kid up on the roof where they attached a rope to his waist and promptly pulled him off the roof. The kid hit the ground flat breaking one of the boards over his back and by some miracle only had the wind knocked out of him!

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I'd copy this one of mine from the other thread.

We were "a handful" according to my parents. We used a laundry basket filled with heavy stuff as a counterweight to lock a babysitter in the bathroom one time while our parents all went christmas shopping. Tied it to the door knob and hung it over the stairs, then went about our business for 3 hours. Apparently she was quite traumatized from that and never talked to the family again.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG...where do i begin? One time my brothers made a kite out of 2 x 4's, and a sheet and took the neighbor kid up on the roof where they attached a rope to his waist and promptly pulled him off the roof. The kid hit the ground flat breaking one of the boards over his back and by some miracle only had the wind knocked out of him!

Haha oh how the gullible suffered as children.

Last edited:

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decided to mess with a couple neighbors with porches that faced each other from across the street one evening. We swapped out their porch furniture and set everything up just perfect. Never did see the reaction they had waking up to the people across the streets stuff but I am sure it was camera worthy.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Statute of limitations have long expired, but there are too many people still alive that I don't dare tell the best stuff.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spit on a chunk of carbite and toss it under the pews in church...... STINK !!!!!

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pinpointer Pro AT, Master Hunter Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adolescent mischief

So after some great laughs had on another thread, I decided to start a new one. This is to share all the messed up, funny, dangerous, stupid things we have done as kids. Such as the time my brother, a friend, and I got our boy scout troop banned from a scout camp. So picture 3 little devil children all separated by about a year in age, who were entirely to smart for their own good. Our troop was invited to try out a new scout camp that year. This camp was was a bit ritsy were most of The city kids went to camp. The camp councilers were traditionally 18 years of age, which is important because one was about to be beautifully out witted by a 10, 11, and 12 year old. The counciler had a big pot of oil with a lid on and it is heating on the fire getting ready to do some cooking. Suddenly it boils over and catches on fire. In this moment we all 3 look at this moron pacing around trying to figure out what to do. We then looked at each other, and with out a word spoken we silently agreed it was time to really mess with this guy. One of us starts yelling "you gotta take the lid off, hurry up you gotta take the lid off." This dummy actually listens to us and grabs the hook abd pulls off the lid. The flames now jump up and start burning more vigorously, and the poor counciler begins to loose his composure and panics. We see this as another opportunity and start screaming that he needs to throw some water on it. Now if you have ever thrown water on an oil fire, then you know what's coming next. This sucker grabs a 5 gallon bucket of water and throws it directly in the pot, releasing the full fury and potential that oil contained. Flames exploded everywhere, sending burning oil in all directions. Now the fire is out of control and there are 3 kids rolling around in the grass just dying laughing and this guy runs around trying to put out all the grass fires. Soon many camp councilers came running to help extingish the inferno. The next morning or entire troop was asked to leave, also being told that "you are never invited back." :laughing7: oh man we were bad kids. I'll post another story when I get some time.

Hmmm, well I used to save up to buy a pack of a dozen flashbulbs then I would break them open, pull out the magnesium filaments,braid them all together, connect them to one of my Lionel train transformers then lie in wait in our upstairs hall for either my older brother or older sister to sneak in from a late date. As they got upstairs in the hall I'd hit the power. The resulting flash was truly blinding! Amazing that I didn't burn down the house!
Another, when I was in 7th grade "gym bags" were all the rage. In mine I carried a 67.5 volt battery, some leads with alligator clips connected to the battery through a knife switch. I'd surreptitiously connect the clips to the metal desk in front of me, then at the right moment I'd turn on the power!
Another, my father had speakers installed in the ceilings of all the bedrooms connected to the console stereo on the first floor. I tapped into them via a cassette recorder, used the speakers as microphones and record my sister talking to her boyfriend. Also, I'd reverse it and send spooky ghost like talk into her bedroom in the middle of the night.
Is it any wonder I became an electrical engineer? ;-)

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, well I used to save up to buy a pack of a dozen flashbulbs then I would break them open, pull out the magnesium filaments,braid them all together, connect them to one of my Lionel train transformers then lie in wait in our upstairs hall for either my older brother or older sister to sneak in from a late date. As they got upstairs in the hall I'd hit the power. The resulting flash was truly blinding! Amazing that I didn't burn down the house!
Another, when I was in 7th grade "gym bags" were all the rage. In mine I carried a 67.5 volt battery, some leads with alligator clips connected to the battery through a knife switch. I'd surreptitiously connect the clips to the metal desk in front of me, then at the right moment I'd turn on the power!
Another, my father had speakers installed in the ceilings of all the bedrooms connected to the console stereo on the first floor. I tapped into them via a cassette recorder, used the speakers as microphones and record my sister talking to her boyfriend. Also, I'd reverse it and send spooky ghost like talk into her bedroom in the middle of the night.
Is it any wonder I became an electrical engineer? ;-)

You would have fit in with us just fine

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad had one of those $5 toy cannons they sell at places like Gettysburg. Back in the day they had actual tubes as barrels and real touch holes. Thing was only maybe 5" long. Dad did CW reenacting. So I would "borrow" a tiny amount of black powder, put it in the cannon and shoot crayon pieces out of it. Miracle I didn't die. Also used to take old model ships to the local pond and blow them up. Fortunately, I do not own any black powder at this stage of life, and I do not like sharp, loud noises! That was half a century ago. I'm not that old....I still play in the dirt!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I rode my sled down a hill and off an eight foot retaining wall into a parking lot with less than four inches of snow to prove to a friend that it could be done...

I also did it five more times because the first time was fun, until my sled broke on a chunk of ice. It is a miracle I didn't get hurt, besides having a sore bottom from the impact of hitting the ground.

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to mess with a couple neighbors with porches that faced each other from across the street one evening. We swapped out their porch furniture and set everything up just perfect. Never did see the reaction they had waking up to the people across the streets stuff but I am sure it was camera worthy.

That was quite a clever and devious little plot and must have been funny as heck once they realized the furniture had been switched. Well played.:angel12:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Statute of limitations have long expired, but there are too many people still alive that I don't dare tell the best stuff.

I am kind of in the same boat. Much of the things we did involved shotguns and explosives. Probably have the BATF come knocking on my door.:nono:

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haven't told you those ones yet. Some secretes go to the grave haha

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We played chicken with yard darts from about 75 feet apart. One foot in the ring and you could not remove that foot, while we tried to land the dart in the same ring. I think they outlawed those things long ago.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I know someone who played a rather intense game of "dodge it" as a kid, with rather jagged big pieces of metal. According to them, many stitches were needed that day. I still get a kick out of that story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread