Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a place with 12 cellar holes using lidar a couple weeks back, I haven't been there yet. In the late 1850's eight of these cellar holes appear on a map, but all of them are gone in an early 1890's map of the town. I then looked in a town history about one of the names of the property owner, and I read that he had one of the oldest barns in town. His barn was torn down in around 1880, and his house remained unoccupied since (the book is from the 1890's). Anyways, when opening the first lidar file if that place, my computer crashed. Then I had my places ready to upload to Google Maps, and my computer broke, I had to go through I whole repair when booting for it to work, when I got back on my computer, somehow all my places for that site were gone. Twenty minutes ago I was planning on going there tomorrow, and decided to view my map of that place. When I open Google Earth, a popup says that Google Earth is broken, and that deleting my places could solve it. I went to my barn, and thought, should I go there tomorrow, I then looked down and saw a flat decapitated mouse on the barn floor (the first dead mouse I have seen in the place, and wasn't there a few hours ago). If I owned a cat, I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't know how to explain it being squished and headless. I am now a little hesitant on going there, being a little creeped out by what has happened while researching it (just now when I wrote hesitant, it auto-corrected to satan, maybe another bad sign). What do you think, is it still worth going there, or should I take all these weird things happening when ever I try to research the place as a bad sign? Also, Why do you think every house along this place, an abandoned road in a public forest, was abandoned in such a short time, no fires there to my knowledge.

Thanks!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it. If it is so important Satan is trying to scare you off it must be good!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would continue to research it. That history reminds me what happened to businesses along old US Route 1 when Interstate 95 was built. Nothing nefarious, just the local economy changed.

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:3-5

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have already been heading that way......

Me too! I have been so busy these last few weeks though, I am dying to go, but can't get out until after dark. It is over half an hour away too! I think I may brave satan, and go there tomorrow!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Civil war might have shuffled the deck.
Employment ,( dam build ,or railroad work , road crew ,temporary workers shacks ect.) could have disappeared. Disease , played out soil after being farmed repeatedly ,or like a farm near me ,a place that should not have been farmed anyway. ( Old country advice for good soil was in oaks. Oaks removed equaled blow sand) .

I would not be reluctant to hunt an allowed site unless bloodied badly at it.

Frisbee mice can be dehydrated ones from road hits or poison. Some creatures eat all but the hides. Mice and rats drag dead mice and rats.
Hard telling where your find originated or how it came to rest where it did. Could have been a mummy after a kill up on a rafter even.

My computer is cursed by all appearances ,but I factor in it as much as the web and service. All combined for sporadic results and getting dropped a lot.

Go dig them cellars! :house:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Civil war might have shuffled the deck.
Employment ,( dam build ,or railroad work , road crew ,temporary workers shacks ect.) could have disappeared. Disease , played out soil after being farmed repeatedly ,or like a farm near me ,a place that should not have been farmed anyway. ( Old country advice for good soil was in oaks. Oaks removed equaled blow sand) .

I would not be reluctant to hunt an allowed site unless bloodied badly at it.

Frisbee mice can be dehydrated ones from road hits or poison. Some creatures eat all but the hides. Mice and rats drag dead mice and rats.
Hard telling where your find originated or how it came to rest where it did. Could have been a mummy after a kill up on a rafter even.

My computer is cursed by all appearances ,but I factor in it as much as the web and service. All combined for sporadic results and getting dropped a lot.

Go dig them cellars! :house:

Thanks! Will do tomorrow! The book I was reading last night is about life in old Britain, it briefly mentions that in a trip to New England, he noticed a huge amount of cellar holes in the woods. He then went on to explain that most of these cellar holes were abandoned, especially in the late 19th century, due to farming not paying the bills anymore due to many new innovations in preserving food making farming not as effective to pay the bills, produce prices going down dramatically. Also, Soil in an area may not be as productive anymore. Also, I am guessing that if my weird experiences were bad signs, than every place that had a mass murder or battle take place would be unsearchable. Thanks, I will let you know what I find! If I don't get back that means that the spirits got me, or that I haven't had a chance to get on my laptop.

I scraped the mouse up and threw it away, just a small stain of the ground. I think I may have stepped on it earlier when moving shutters around, and going back and forth through there to get tools to put them up. The mouse was in the narrow area that you go through to get to the workshop part of the barn. I also forgot that in the past week, two mice have appeared drowned our goats' water buckets. I only then realized that I had the bucket set right under a ledge from the loft, that the mice jumped down from there. I guess that mice are a big problem in these 250 year old barns, and can't imagine what probably lives in my house, I haven't seen any mice or rats in it yet!

I guess that if you keep looking for signs, then you will see them.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm, been in a similar situation, went for it but ended up leaving much earlier than I expected. I was with a fellow digger, and he was ready to leave before I was. Since it's you and not me - Go for it!!! Then post if you survive. It seems like some of my best finds were "protected" in some way or another.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I fixed Google Earth, my repair tool crashed in the process, but when I closed it, Google Earth was fixed. I just needed to clear my Google Earth cache. I have around 300 places on Google Earth, and a hundred or so lidar files. I have been noticing my lidar viewer and Google Earth preforming pretty poorly lately, probably for this reason. It told me that Google Earth my be preforming poorly due to having storage issues on it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
coinman123: Me thinks you're looking for "assassins under rocks", and are a victim of memory bias psychology. There are no "spooks trying to keep you away from a good md'ing spot". :)

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it. Go get them goodies from the ground. If you're still a bit spooked, bring some sage sticks and burn them while youre hunting. The sage smoke will cleanse any negative energies from the area and youll return safe and sound with some awesome finds to share pics of.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warning_green.gif
WARNING 1: Opening the first lidar file if that place, my computer crashed...
warning_red.gif
WARNING 2: Then I had my places ready to upload to Google Maps, and my computer broke...
warning_green.gif
WARNING 3: Somehow all my places for that site were gone...
warning_red.gif
WARNING 4: Open Google Earth, a popup says that Google Earth is broken, and that deleting my places could solve it...
warning_green.gif
WARNING 5: I went to my barn, and thought, should I go there tomorrow, I then looked down and saw a flat decapitated mouse on the barn floor...

What do you think,
is it still worth going there,
or should I take all these weird things happening when ever I try to research the place as a bad sign?

smile_creepy.gif

ABSOLUTELY - GO BACK IMMEDIATELY!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a priest with ya. He can hunt for demons while you hunt for treasure.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mice in the house....yet! Wait for that first good cold snap...they'll be lined up waiting to crawl in... (get a cat)...lol...Ddf

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]“With Great Risk Comes Great Reward” – T. Jefferson[/h]

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
No mice in the house....yet! Wait for that first good cold snap...they'll be lined up waiting to crawl in... (get a cat)...lol...Ddf

I want to get one, after our old one died. She was a 20 year old rescue cat who had no interest in chasing mice though. At my old house, I set six snap traps in the basement at night, in the morning every trap had a mouse in it, and one with a shrew! The basement at my old house was not the greatest, with loose stone having some bad mortar patch work. You could see a few holes to the outdoors from it. One day I had a mouse knock over all my dug coppers that were in oil, and I didn't find the last one for around a week or so. What's gross was that when I caught one behind the oven, or in other parts of the house, they were all covered in oil from my open cups of oil with coins in them (which were all put into closed jars after that). It seems like these older properties especially attract mice like a magnet, especially in cold New England winters.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
dcb1690c2cb99d7e4ab6ea5c0e153961965da7eb87d264d86e8093c2b4df7b3a.jpg Come on out and x0FQk9Yl_400x400.jpg MAKE MY DAY!

That's weird, I didn't attach those pictures:icon_scratch:

Thanks coinman:laughing7:

Just a side note. Really strange about the auto-correct. Still have to go my friend. We will no if something happen's when we see a member named Satan123.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went and had to walk around two miles out in 90 degree weather. I saw the first two cellar holes, the first was in an overgrown (and heavily hunted) field, and the other was completely hunted out, with dug holes everywhere. The only way to get to the other cellar holes was to cross a huge river, the bridge has been out for decades, and there is a 15 foot drop straight onto to rocks and water. I tried to go another way, but I would probably get soaked. I turned around and started feeling very dizzy from the heat, I then realized that I forgot water, and had to walk up practically a mountain back to the parking. I could barely think by the time I got back, and had two boiling hot bottles of water from the car. I found an old brass bolo tie in the cellar hole in the field at least, not even a shotgun shell there. Maybe I will go back when it is cooler outside, and the river goes down.

I also forgot to mention that I was wearing flip flops and socks, not noticing that I forgot to wear hiking shoes until I was already 15 minutes from home.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh-Ohhh, hotter than hades! :laughing7:

Been too hot here too.
About a week out it should cool off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions