Can you track down old dog license information?

Bigjdub

Jul 21, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting around in my parents yard and found an old dog tag from 1978. The property has been in the family for 150 years but this was in the front yard and there wasn't a fence there until some time in the 1990s so it could be any dog. In 1978 most of the people in the neighborhood where also family so it still could be from a family dog.

I was born in 1978 and my parents raised me with a lab/retriever mix and it would be awesome if it was from that dog. I will be calling our animal control office on Monday but I wouldn't think they would have 40 year old dog license records.

Either way it's a cool find. You can see it was hand stamped and it's still in good shape after I cleaned it with hot water some dish soap and a soft sponge.

Attachments

• 15062230246081083254168.jpg
    15062230246081083254168.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think they would have had records - but with everything on computers now - the older paper logs may be long gone
I don't know if most towns would have transferred the older stuff - but worth a try
I have returned a few - people were happy cause the dog had passed and it brought back memories
specially if they asked "where did you find it?" - "near that tree" .."oh that was his favorite tree"

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck finding info on this tag.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great question! I have found several and wondered the same thing! I did track one down as it had a name and address which was returned. I am curious if there is a way to track these also!

OP
OP
B

Bigjdub

Jul 21, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by our local animal control office and they told me that several years ago the building that held their old paper records had the roof cave in and everything was destroyed. They searched in their computer for me and that number was reissued to a 16 year old dog that is currently alive. So it looks like I will never know who this dog tag belonged to.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A for effort!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread