Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just watching an Oswald Documentary on the History Channel. At one point they had a metal detector to look for bullet casings, along and in a river in the woods in Louisiana. They are digging casings, supposedly 50 years old, but they are bright and shiny gold, straight from the ground. Then they found a military issue ammo case in the river, made of iron, and it was in relatively perfect condition. The ammo case also had live casing in it, which were also in perfect condition. I am starting to wonder how credible this, and many other documentaries really are...

Has anyone else ever noticed anything similar on any metal detecting shows or documentaries (Oak Island-like shows for example). I think I also remember an episode of Mysteries at the Museum, where they held up a supposed medieval coin. If you look closely the coin is clearly a V-Nickel, not some hammered medieval silver coin. I guess I can excuse that though, probably just easier for them to use a more common coin that isn't seen in circulation.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
coinman 123, yes I've noticed this on Hollywood packaged stuff as well. It's just spun for the movie/documentary shots. And any long-time md'r (who's dug 1000's of spent casings) knows how stuff looks after being in the ground for decades. Those are just re-enactments for the camera.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very little on television could be called 'credible'.

Chub

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It drives me nuts when the eeducational/informative shows on the weekends present incorrect information. After all these shows are designed to educate the kiddies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What's really aggravating is when they pull in archies to comment on some piece of slag or something, where they launch into elaborate tales of how some piece of ^#$# is some sort of smoking gun proof of something. Or some "ritual item", blah blah blah. And I'm looking at whatever it is they're oogling over, thinking : "Shseesk, I through 20 such items into the nearest garbage can every time I hit a ghost town or the beach".

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, it would be nice if they would just be up front once in a while, like saying its a "re-enactment with props". I'd still watch.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya ! The worst insult to my intelligence was an episode of Oak Island , where their detector / diver guy held up a relatively modern railroad spike (maybe 19th C.),and everybody whooped and hollered like they had found the Holy Grail ! Declaring it to be a 16th C. Ship plank nail . I was screaming obcenities at the tv at this point !

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Great thread. I remember that there was a guy metal detecting near the picket fence and found a bullet casing with a bite in it. This was in the 1980's I think. Anyway, during that time, there was a guy in jail claiming to be the grassy knoll shooter. His story was after he shot the President, he bit the shell casing and left it on the fence post(apparently it was his signature). Sounds too good to be true, but who knows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread