New car key stuck in ignition AGAIN!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So 3 months ago on a Friday at work, my car key was stuck in the ignition of my 2011 Honda CRZ. After 3 hours of trying to get the key out and making phone calls, I had to have it towed to the dealer. Monday came and I got a call saying it would be $1000 dollars and 7-10 business days to fix. So, I went up and bought a new car from the dealer.

I got a 2017 Honda Civic. I decked out the car including steering cover. seat covers, gear shift cover, mats everything. So I go to the store and what happens? The key get stuck in the ignition! How can this happen twice with two different cars?

Since the car would start, but not let the key out, I drove to my parents so i could arrange to get the car to the dealer for Monday. While my father is trying to fix it, my mother pulls up a video with a guy who shows a absolute fix for this but he took the gear shift apart. i realized what happened in an instant. The gear shift cover was squeezing the button just enough to fool the electronics into thinking I was still shifting the car(into park or drive). I peeled back the cover to release the button and the key came right out!

So just a heads up if anyone comes across this issue in the future(and no that isnt what happened with the first one, it had no cover).

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked_01.gif
Happy you got it fixed! I did a search on google (Enter with quotes: honda "key stuck in ignition") and OMG - you certainly aren't alone!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My experience is that when anything weird breaks, check youtube. Someone else probably has has the same problem. Just had this happened a couple of months ago when my electric mower just quit. an $8 rectifier was the fix. Took 5 min to fix. I also would go back and speak to the service mgr at the dealership that wanted to charge $1000. I'm sure that wasn't the first time that has happened.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the car business for 15 years and my number one rule is never bring your car to get fixed at a dealership they'll knock your head off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had that happen in my Grand Am. Take a rubber mallet and tap it 2 or 3 times and the key came right out.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my Dodge truck sometimes my steering wheel has something to do with that so I will move it back-and-forth until the key comes out

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 3 months ago on a Friday at work, my car key was stuck in the ignition of my 2011 Honda CRZ. After 3 hours of trying to get the key out and making phone calls, I had to have it towed to the dealer. Monday came and I got a call saying it would be $1000 dollars and 7-10 business days to fix. So, I went up and bought a new car from the dealer.

I got a 2017 Honda Civic. I decked out the car including steering cover. seat covers, gear shift cover, mats everything. So I go to the store and what happens? The key get stuck in the ignition! How can this happen twice with two different cars?

Since the car would start, but not let the key out, I drove to my parents so i could arrange to get the car to the dealer for Monday. While my father is trying to fix it, my mother pulls up a video with a guy who shows a absolute fix for this but he took the gear shift apart. i realized what happened in an instant. The gear shift cover was squeezing the button just enough to fool the electronics into thinking I was still shifting the car(into park or drive). I peeled back the cover to release the button and the key came right out!

So just a heads up if anyone comes across this issue in the future(and no that isnt what happened with the first one, it had no cover).

I had an old dodge neon that you could just pull the key out while you were driving. Made for a great laugh when someone new got into the car and while your driving down the road you just pull the key out and throw it into their lap saying "catch". People with no mechanical knowledge freaked out.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one similar, I used to have a 2 door E36 BMW - I went to turn the car off and the key came out - but was the car was still running. WTF! I put the key back in and it just spun, all the way around, car still running - no way to shut it off. I popped the battery terminals in the trunk - damn good alternator, still won't shut off. By this time I am starting to panic, but then I remembered the fuse box - I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and it finally petered out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Dodge truck sometimes my steering wheel has something to do with that so I will move it back-and-forth until the key comes out

Both of our Ford 150's did the same thing, put the key in and couldn't turn it to start it. We had to jerk the locked steering wheel hard enough to move it a little so then the key could be turned.
Still happens once in a while.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you figured it out and thanks for the tip. Yep, YouTube has saved me a ton of money on car mechanics.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1000 for a stuck ignition key switch?

Just bust the steering column collar open and run wires to a push button switch.

:dontknow:

Maybe $20 for some wire and a push switch. Hide the start switch i n the glove box or anywhere you care to.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My 2016 F-150 has done that a couple times recently. Parking with the wheels turned seems to put pressure on the steering. Moving the wheel a little releases the key.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that issue in my 2004 trailblazer it turned out that the previous owner had rammed the shifter into park a little to hard and slightly bent the shifter arm, causing the safety switch to stick. So I disabled the button slide mechanism inside the shifter and now it will start in any gear, oops.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that issue in my 2004 trailblazer it turned out that the previous owner had rammed the shifter into park a little to hard and slightly bent the shifter arm, causing the safety switch to stick. So I disabled the button slide mechanism inside the shifter and now it will start in any gear, oops.

oops is right. better get that fixed before another oops.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step on the brake. Make sure you are in park. Wiggle the steering wheel while you try to remove the key. My ancient (for here in the land of rust) 1999 Nissan Frontier has an interlock. The key will not come out unless its in the right condition. I can't exactly remember what activates the interlock. I have had the truck for so long I just automatically do it to release the key.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents bought a 2015 Honda CR-V and it has one of those Keyless ignitions. Rather have a key as one day someone is going to lose the fob and not get into the car or as the last time I drove, Mom walked off and have the fob in her purse and the stupid thing starts beeping as she gets away and I am yelling out the window "Key Please" in the parking lot. If they told me $1000.00 for repair of the ignition, I'd ask for the Regional Service Center Manager as you needed to talk to them about the costs of repairs and that might get better reaction, may not. Always used to get the General Motors people hopping if I thought they were too high on a repair. Glad you figured this one out without further cost!

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drive manual transmissions!

Like real man should anyway!

Greets

Namxat

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a Mercedes Benz Printer van. The ignition froze. Would not turn. 1870.00 plus towing. Youch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread