So what do you do with all the "stuff" you dig?

Shorty Buckshot

Aug 19, 2012
Northeast Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what folks do with all the miscellaneous "stuff" they dig....pieces of toys, broken hardware, and such, you get the idea...Not the stuff that has some value, just the things that may be cool to find but hold no value....I have a whole flat of things that hold no value but not sure what to do with it...I have went to throw it away a few times but for some reason, just can't bring myself to do it....Am I just being silly or what? What do you do with the "stuff" you dig? Thanks....Shorty

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It goes into a large ziplock labeled with the year on it and then sits in my closet :)
Haha! I know the feeling you are saying. I think it would be neat someday to have a display case with some of the neat odds and ends. Even it its half of a car just it cleaned up a bit, pic of the original behind it, a year, etc. Its still neat to look at and talk about.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I melt the brass, Al and Cu into ingots, recycle the Pb into bullets, trash the trash, and still have buckets full of worthless stuff in the barn.
So No, I cant help you.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i store it under my desk i would like to clean them up and get a display case

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few big olive jars going with misc items. I throw anything solid into them. I think I even have one filled with pull-tabs

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have overcome the OCD of hoarding. I throw stuff away! And, yes, I have thrown away things that I shouldn't have.

I have the keepers in displays that have overtaken the room formerly know as the dining room.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything except for big iron that has no historical value, recycle the junk, and at the end of the year after my tally I recycle the tabs and other things that I don't want.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins I keep or spend. Tokens I keep. Jewelry I keep or give away. Lead bullets and balls I recast into balls. Usable tools I use.

The rest goes in the trash. Exception being a couple crotal bells I have cleaned up and keep.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent question. I like the wide mouth plastic containers that nuts and candies come in that you get from stores. Use one for brass, copper, stainless, zinc etc. this keeps it off the floor.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All scrap metal, brass, aluminum, and copper gets sold for it's value as metal. New coins are used as cash, and old coins are sold for whatever they will bring. Jewelry composed of precious metal gets sold either as what it was made into, or for scrap. Any antique metal is sold for what it will bring, along with CW relics. Lead I keep for casting into bullets of various alloys, and I also keep any marbles I find, since I lost all mine years ago.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about fertilizing the local parks with all my junk to give future detectorists and Archies a place to study for generations to come.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about fertilizing the local parks with all my junk to give future detectorists and Archies a place to study for generations to come.

that would be neat

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep anything I can recognize as not trash like keys tokens even trinkets and the trash goes right in the trash at the hunting spot.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trash like twist caps, pull rings, wrappers etc go in the trash can before I leave the beach. All the clad goes to the coin machine at my bank ($355.19 total this year, drop off another load today). Gold & silver Jewelry goes in the display cases. Hot wheels and match boxes cars are cleaned and put in there display cases. Silver coins go in the coin books. The Costume jewelry I have been saving for a project. I have some Oak that was milled 200+ years ago That I got from an old barn being torn down. Going to make a treasure box to toss all that junk jewelry into. The rest goes into shoe boxes and I put in the bottom of the closet in my cave.
:occasion14:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 3-ring notebook with 2"x2" plastic coin sheets in them. Tokens and dog tags and the like get stapled into 2"x2" cardboard coin flips, labeled, and stuck into the plastic sheet (they don't go in those sleeves easily!) Good, old silvers, Indians and War nickels get hard plastic cases, Rosies get carboard flips.

My one Copper Culture spear point (found in an urban street tearout!) hangs on the wall in a shadowbox that I bought at Hobby Lobby, and another shadowbox has an arrangement of cool misc Victorian artifacts.

Otherwise, most of the rest is in plastic pencil boxes, labeled with the year that I dug them. I have one for old shotgun shells and cartridge casings, another for flatware (spoons, etc), and another for misc stuff.

But... I've only been at this for two seasons now. I'm not sure how long I will really keep up this level of energy with organizing and storing stuff. Time will tell, I guess.

Oh... zinc pennies get tossed like the trash that they are. Copper Lincolns and clad gets a quick tumbling in the fall to clean them before a trip to the bank where they will be run through the change counter (free for account holders). I consider that my "rebate"

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Brass, copper and aluminum goes to the scrap yard. I toss cast iron and steel, since they're not worth jack squat right now.

2) Horseshoes and license plates go on the wall of my spare bedroom, which has turned into a relics room.

3) Ax heads go on a shelf, with bells and leg hold traps hanging down from the shelf.

4) Horse tack buckles, cap guns and pocket knives and go in a drawer.

5) Bullets and shell casings go in a plastic container that I stash under my bureau.

6) I also have two big boxes of toy cars, junk jewelry, locks, lighters and so on stashed under there as well.

7) Rusty cone top beer cans and some flat top cans go in a cabinet over my bureau. I have a few of my better bottle finds in there as well.

8) Oxen shoes and rusty soda cans go on a shelf in my garage. They're too grungy to display, but I can't toss them. There's also a few hubcaps and assorted car stuff out there. Not in good enough condition to sell, so I'm stuck with them!

9) All my other bottles and jars are in my cellar on my pool table and other tables I've got down there.

Yes, I do have a problem keeping stuff that should be tossed! LOL!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all my stuff,nobody touches my stuff, every body has stuff but they won't admit it,my stuff is in shoeboxes, I don't have any idea how much stuff I got none of my stuff is good stuff,but it's my stuff and you can't have it my thanks George carlin

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sort most of my trash by what kind of metal it is then haul it in to the recycling company about once a year, and usually walk out with around $100 if I sell my brass and copper too. Just a few days ago I sold about 18 pounds of clean lead that I melted down into ingots for $20. Why people throw it away baffles me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread