Y'all in New Hampshire have it made !....

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just made a quick trip to the Alton ,NH. area, to visit family . I hadn't been out there for 35 years, from what i could see walking and driving around , there were dream detecting spots everywhere ! Old easements , tree stands ,tiny town parks ,ancient looking stone walls everywhere ! Incredible colonial to Victorian houses with intact yards all over the place ! I didn't bring a detector due to time constraints ,but I could almost sense the coins and relics around me .

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in New Hampshire as a kid and haven't visited in about 30 years. I used to dig old old bottles, some of my favorite memories. I'll be taking the family there someday WITH my detector. It is a beautiful state with oodles of history!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its like that all over new england

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the other guy said its like this all over new england. But there are a lot of detectorists. I do a lpt of door knocking as well as research old cellars and ive been to close to 50 cellars this year and all but one had evidence of someone else beating me to them. Some are miles out in the woods. I get to them on foot but a lot of people have 4 wheelers and in the winter the same trails are snowmobile trails so these cellara get spotted apparantly. Also my door knocking results are pretty mixed. I get a lot of "its been detected before and id rather not let anyone else do it" as well as a lot of nos from stuck up people. But ive also gotten quite a few yesses and have walked away with many old relics and coins. Its certainly an old part of the country with potential around every corner. I try not to get discouraged because the next spot could be the best one yet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And there are LC's, colonial coppers, and bust coins brimming out of every sandbox there. Sick sick sick .

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were about ten minutes from my house. I'm the fith generation of my family to live here you think that what you saw was good get out into the back roads! my street is actually a 200 yr old stage coach road. It was called the Gov. Wentworth Highway get some topo maps good to go!

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The house we were visiting was on Powdermill rd. Just a couple miles out of the village of Alton , I was seeing those old farmer stone walls everywhere ! The woods looked very yummy indeed - but it was unseasonably warm and I'm guessing that the tics are still crazy bad !

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer right mate; it's better there, or Florida, or England, or... just wondering if anyone else has ever seriously considered moving purely because of the hobby? :icon_scratch:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The house we were visiting was on Powdermill rd. Just a couple miles out of the village of Alton , I was seeing those old farmer stone walls everywhere ! The woods looked very yummy indeed - but it was unseasonably warm and I'm guessing that the tics are still crazy bad !

The damn ticks have come back not too bad. There are miles and miles of dirt roads, discontinued roads, when I was a kid my family would ride around on Sunday looking for cellar holes, bottle dumps and perenials for our house. Found tons of stuff this was before metal detectors. It's grown up a lot meaning developed but there is still a ton of places to detect. Myself I'm a miner I travel 2hrs. north for that we have 22k gold it's fine but we get a decent amount by the end of the season. Our state has something for everybody.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Javadroid , I have thought for years that when I'm able to , I would move to Canada for part of the year - just for the reason that I love Canadian silver coins ! I believe it is a wide open, and largely unpopulated country , and it seems to have vast areas that are not privately owned , and permissable for detecting .

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It is pretty nice around here, don't mean to brag, it is just my NH pride 8-). The only issue is that 9 out of 10 cellar holes, and almost all the parks and schools in most of the towns in NH, and New England in general, have been heavily metal detected. Even my own home from the 1740's was almost hunted out before I even moved in. It is a beautiful place to hike, there are miles of trails in each direction within half a mile to a mile from my front door. Many beautiful colonial houses and historic parks and cemeteries in the center of many of these small NH towns like the one that I moved to this June. I have lived in NH since I was three, born in MA, and have always hated the brutal winters, which last from November to April, but loved all the months in between. NH has the unique beauty of history and nature combined. I am happy you were able to visit! New Mexico is also very nice, when moving in June we were considering moving down to NM or AZ, but didn't want to hastle of moving that far, and I didn't want to give up metal detecting my nearby cellar holes and sites (which I have been spoiled with over here).

My 4000th Post on TNET :)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
And there are LC's, colonial coppers, and bust coins brimming out of every sandbox there. Sick sick sick .

Where is this El Dorado you speak of, I want to go there!

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I'm not suggesting it's quite like that , but it looked really promissing (especially with permissions)

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the other guy said its like this all over new england. But there are a lot of detectorists. I do a lpt of door knocking as well as research old cellars and ive been to close to 50 cellars this year and all but one had evidence of someone else beating me to them. Some are miles out in the woods. I get to them on foot but a lot of people have 4 wheelers and in the winter the same trails are snowmobile trails so these cellara get spotted apparantly. Also my door knocking results are pretty mixed. I get a lot of "its been detected before and id rather not let anyone else do it" as well as a lot of nos from stuck up people. But ive also gotten quite a few yesses and have walked away with many old relics and coins. Its certainly an old part of the country with potential around every corner. I try not to get discouraged because the next spot could be the best one yet.

How are you able to research or find info where old cellars are?? Very curious.

I've tried finding old maps of my town (or even county) and haven't found any luck, which is strange because I'm from a town that has an old militia lot, lots of history, farms, and "minutemen" was allegedly coined here or the next town over.

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you able to research or find info where old cellars are?? Very curious.

I've tried finding old maps of my town (or even county) and haven't found any luck, which is strange because I'm from a town that has an old militia lot, lots of history, farms, and "minutemen" was allegedly coined here or the next town over.

I use library of congress maps. Theres some that go back to the 1700s but they arent very detailed. The one i used mainly is 1853 i think. Cellars on that map obviously existed close to that year. But cellars that were from 1700s and were abandoned before 1853 wont1make it on the map. Those are the ones i really want to stumble on now becuase i think everyone and their brother use the same map.

To find a map of your area, if it exists, type into google, loc (library of congress) followed by your county, then map.
So example, loc hillsborough county map.

See what comes up.

The map i use you can zoom in very closely and i will open google maps in a separate tab then go back and forth betwen the loc map and the current google map. Once i find my bearings i then can track down cellars.

If i find a roas that exists on the loc map but isnt present on the google map i know that road is abandoned and worth checking out the cellars along it. Id like to get into the lidar like coinman uses.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the way New Hampshire celebrates our flag. This is just one example.

NH _flag_barn.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the way New Hampshire celebrates our flag. This is just one example.

View attachment 1502055

That looks just like my barn! I should really try that idea, as the flag looks good on these old barns, especially in that picture. I do have a 13 star, aged looking, American flag hanging on the side of the house facing the road, I picked the 13 star flag to honor one of the longtime owners of my house who fought with Washington in 1776-1778.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, here in New England it is hard to find a Capped Bust, Because all Seated get in the way. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread