Metal Detecting permits Poll

Honestly how many of you md'rs obtained a permit to detect?

• would'nt leave home without it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still have to get one

• I think about it all the time

• I'll take my chances

• I never even knew we needed one at all

• Total voters

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Just wondering what everyone thought about having to have a permit to go out metal detecting,I can honestly say that I don't have one and never been approached by anyone asking to see it(so far).

You can also add comments and your thoughts on this subject

Thanks for taking my poll
~Shawn~

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've been told that I need one in Omaha, but I can't find anything to state that whatsoever on any of the Game and Parks websites, the City's web site, or anywhere else. I'm not even sure who to ask about it.

If it happens that I'm ever asked for my license I'll apologize for not having one, ask where to get one, and say that I've never seen anything posted online or in a park saying I need one.

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I am pretty sure that here in Florida the minute I step past the mean high tide line I am suppose to have a "treasure hunting" permit. Fact is these laws are written pretty broadly so that they can be easily enforced. The enforcement is unlikely to come and the laws are actually in place so that any kind of wholesale commercial style hunting can be easily stopped.

At the hobbyist level I don't even give it a second thought unless the topic comes up here on the forum. Can you imagine some agency going out one morning and rounding up all us old farts putzying around the beach with our metal detectors. This would make Barney Fife look like a serious law enforcement agent. I seriously doubt that its going to happen.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Here in MO you better have one if you are going to detect state parks and you better only detect the areas and times it tells you you can and the parks you can.

The time thing is a joke. From Memorial day to Labor Day you can hunt from 7 AM - 9AM on the beach area only. From Labor day to Memorial day you can hunt daylight hours on the beach only.

The last state park I went to had 5 tot lots with wood chips or gravel and you could NOT detect them. I was really sad about it because just walking around in one of them I picked up a quarter, a dime three pennies and a few odd pieces of metal just eyeballing the place.

What is really sad is the last time I went to the park at 9 AM NO ONE was on the beach but I still had to leave. Not only do you have to have a permit but you also have to have your drivers license just to be allowed into the park. The rangers come around and check to see if you have the permit.

OOPS forgot to mention that anything with a value over ten dollars has to be turned in at the office and your finds are subject to random searches. I don't plan on going to too many state parks

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
two state parks near me needs a permit.beach area only and finds of value are to be turned
in at ranger office.if no one claims it they er I mean you get to keep it.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
No permits needed here in Oregon for public land besides some State Parks. However, I wouldn't even think about getting one so they will allow me to do the tot lot near the restrooms and not that actual historic locations!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have one, but I don't even know where it is. In the years I've been doing this, I've only been asked once.

The other day I went out with MikeOregon. Good thing he had his on him because the lady who wanted approached us stated we couldn't do it in any city park, thats what she was told.

It was funny, because he started explaining to her that yes, it is allowed, and she cut him off saying, "No, No, you can have a permit for a detector, but not to hunt in the city parks!"

Mike explained to her that yes, as a matter of fact you can, and here is the permit to prove it.

She asked who'd you get the permit from?

He showed her- the city parks department.

It was all very civil and cordial, the way it should be. He even offered that if she still wanted us to leave, we'd be more than happy to leave anyways.

She evidently made up her mind that she was misinformed, she said no problem. I chimed in that we always leave a place better than we found it, and we proceeded on detecting with no problems.

The key to resolving these issues is staying calm and courteous, not getting into heated debates or flat out arguing about it.

So that makes twice now, in about 10 years of detecting here in Eugene. Never have I been approached anywhere outside of the city.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Stormtrooper154 said:
No permits needed here in Oregon for public land besides some State Parks.  However, I wouldn't even think about getting one so they will allow me to do the tot lot near the restrooms and not that actual historic locations!

OK, My bad..I just learned from oddcoins the other day that the City of Eugene requires a permit for city property. (mumbling...bunch of crap...lol)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Heheheh! I was still writing my post while you had posted yours, I had no idea two guys from Oregon were gonna post over each other with different views....

I'm surprised the People's Republic of Portland doesn't have one! ;)

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Jeffro said:
Heheheh! I was still writing my post while you had posted yours, I had no idea two guys from Oregon were gonna post over each other with different views....

I'm surprised the People's Republic of Portland doesn't have one! ;)

Agreed!  I am very surprised they don't either.  However, how heavily hunted these parks are, I don't know if I would even want one LOL.  I would just keep to the metro area parks when I am out of private land to do.

My hunting buddy and I just got access to a heavily used historic site, private property, that dates back to 1904. Per the person in charge, he has never given anyone else permission. So I am hoping that my first barber is in my future...Hopefully. The site is 64 acres, so it should keep us busy for a while LOL.

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
Permit for the county where I am doesn't cost anything, so I wasn't going to fuss. However I've been approached twice while hunting, and asked to show my permit. $400 fine where I am, so it's definitely worth it to me to get one

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No permits required where I hunt ??? But maybe I just didn't ask enough questions? ;) I've hunted parks/schools here for 30 yrs, and have rarely been bothered.

S

skydiv

the city i live in has several parks that are maintained by the park district and a permitt is required. I have been checked. permitt is 7.00 bucks.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where i hunt in ohio the only place you need a permit is the state parks and then it is mostly beach only..and the only one i got was free at the park manger station...
So far i have never had to have one for city property..

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
When I lived on the other side of Indiana I always caried mine around, had to have on to hunt the city parks, and when I head to Cincinnatti I need to get one there as well. Most cities you don't need a permit, but some of the larger ones you just might be surprised!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I've only hunted two places were I have had to have a permit. One was at Camp Roberts in CA and the other is at State Parks here in OK. I wish there were a National Permit System that say would cost maybe 25 bucks and you could hunt anywere, federal, state parks, schools, whatever. Give us a test so they know we know what we're doing and let us do our thing! HH permit or not.......

Desertfox

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what state you live. Permits are more red tape and paper work for the issuing authority and serve no real purpose. After it is issued, they don't go around and check everybody.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus if they (the government) start getting involved you will have more regs and most likely will have to have someone else decide what you will keep and what has to be given up.........

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Sandman said:
Depends on what state you live. Permits are more red tape and paper work for the issuing authority and serve no real purpose. After it is issued, they don't go around and check everybody.

That is NOT true here in MO. Although I can say that at one or two of the locations you hunt they don't bother you. The three places I have hunted by permit only, they make you check in and they require state issued photo ID just to let you in the park. The last time I hunted a beach in the State Park the Ranger came by about an hour into my hunt and requested my permit, I keep it in a little pouch with a clear window so I don't have to mess with it too much. He then told me that I had to leave by 9AM. The place I was hunting was totally deserted. Then at 5 til 9 he came by again but I was already packing up so he didn't say anything. They do expect you to turn anything over $10 value in. I don't think I will hunt the beaches too often in the state parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread