First Post

Madcity

Oct 1, 2017
Madison, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been interested in detecting for a while, but only signed up to this forum today. Have my eye on a Garrett 250, which seems to be a good starter set up. Read lots of helpful stuff here about how to get off on the right foot and viewed some of the videos. Unfortunately Wisconsin has a bizarre law about digging in state parks - if you dig it you have to turn it over to them? Oh, well. Guess that means I won't be hunting in any of those places. Still there's lots of opportunities elsewhere. I welcome any advice and will post when I get out and find something worth bragging about. Cheers!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet!

State Parks and National Forest areas have very complicated laws - BUT they can be navigated. Persistence often pays off. Talk to rangers, and different rangers. Note to them that you are also removing trash, broken glass and dangerous items. It usually requires a permit. And a permit may cost more than the finds you make, but it opens additional areas for you to search if successful. Persistence!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to your new strange addiction. Consider yourself lucky, here in "The Natural State" (Arkansas) metal detecting or simply picking up trash in a state park will land you felony charges, but killing the wildlife and leaving shell casings seems to be ok.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TNet and that seems like a pretty good entry level machine. Practice in your turf before go digging on public turf, I believe that when you can dig a plug, cover the plug and any signs of disturbance disappears you're ready to venture out into the world. My little list
Rule #1 It might look like the most juicy detecting spot on earth, but without a permission it's going to stay that way. Public lands or buildings well that's different, and the rules are there some where:icon_scratch::dontknow::thumbsup:
Rule #2 Dig it-remove it.
Rule #3 It doesn't matter if it's a $50 or a $3000 your going to dig trash, and it's a fact of this obsession we all have.

Enjoy the hobby, it's a great way of keeping fit, mental and physical.

When you dig a piece of crap-think of it this way " Well it could of been" positive thinking brings positive results even in this game.
Best of luck-keep us all posted on your results and finds. You'll always get a friendly helping hand from most on the forum.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome. Don't confuse state Park rules with all other places. City and county level rarely have anything on the subject. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive Monuments. Pick low traffic times for well manicured turf. Beyond that, don't over think it :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and like said above, start with your own yard. Hunt your yard while the neighbors are out and you will get there yards too. They can't help but to be curios.
Hurry up and find something cool. That way you will be hooked for life. when you dig it (Trash), Pack it out to a trash can or recycle it.
Look up a local club on this site and join em for a few trips, or all of them. They will be happy to show you proper use and you will get more than a few tips to successful hunting.
HAVE FUN

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Tom.
The way I see it, if it's private property you have to ask for permission.
If it's public property you only ask if there's a law that prohibits you from detecting.
That prevents power hungry or ignorant gov't employees from inventing rules that don't exist.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, i hear ace 250 is a good starter as well. Check out the t net sponsored dealers if you don't have a local shop around. Can't wait to see what you start digging.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget a pinpointer.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread