HELP! HOW DO I FIND PEOPLE TO HUNT WITH?

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the house next door to me (it's for sale), or if you don't want to move to CA, look for clubs in your area and join and participate in them. There is a listing of clubs on the tnet site.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, hit that CAPS KEY; its the little things that drive perspective partners away, ya know.

Best way I have found for finding a partner that is compatible with your personality and hunting style is to convert a friend to detecting.

After that, you might get lucky at a club (did I Really just type that?), but if the clubs around here are any indication, theyre not the kind of people I like to hang around with (they are petty and would rather argue about $5 club prizes than learn something new).

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made friends and hunting partners with a few guys on the forums.
Having moved from NYC to Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania recently, I am teaching a neighbor how to use an XP DEUS. I have also joined a club.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could never quite figure it, since the headphone jack plugged into these machines it basically made it a lone sport/hobby. Well till you dig something good and share it, and then it's alone time again. I hook up with a member when he's in town on business and if there's some place hunt in the pre/post crop season. Besides that its alone time, and I'd be happy with the solitude for the rest of detecting days.
But that's my take on it, and everyone is different, some have a need to be with the human race, and some don't them around while doing what they enjoy the most-being alone with the beeps.

I will agree that some clubs are over rated and it's a "where did you find this or that". Drive by the next day and it looked like a club meeting going on.:laughing7:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could never quite figure it, since the headphone jack plugged into these machines it basically made it a lone sport/hobby....

fwiw, I use a splitter on the headphone jack when I am training someone or being schooled on a detector that I don't know.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Local club is one way.

When I got started, I stalked people local to me, on TNet! I have met a bunch of really nice guys that way... and a couple of fruitcakes.

If you post nice finds, and have good spots, people will line up at your door to hunt with you!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fastest way to get someone to hunt with is to offer to take them to an area you hunt. There are hundreds of leeches ready to glomm onto a person with permission to hunt any given area they don't know.

Just never offer up your BEST spot, because they will clean it out with THEIR friends. :occasion14:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would like to hunt with someone....bad idea....for me anyway. I like to take a dump in the woods or hike for hours on end or detect in the 40C heat(100F+ -my favourite temperature) or go home early or change sites or wander aimlesly or grid off an area or hit the beach at 4am then go home at 9am etc etc. Got sick of being called over to look at every crappy find, got sick of looking at his poorly filled holes ( I like to leave no trace in public). Sick of comparing machines.... for the hundredth time I DONT WANT A *#@?! MAKRO RACER !!!!! Solitude is gold for me as with being in nature.

+1 with Terry. Dont expect anyone to share thier best sites!

Good luck

Chub

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I would like to hunt with someone....bad idea....for me anyway. I like to take a dump in the woods or hike for hours on end or detect in the 40C heat(100F+ -my favourite temperature) or go home early or change sites or wander aimlesly or grid off an area or hit the beach at 4am then go home at 9am etc etc. Got sick of being called over to look at every crappy find, got sick of looking at his poorly filled holes ( I like to leave no trace in public). Sick of comparing machines.... for the hundredth time I DONT WANT A *#@?! MAKRO RACER !!!!! Solitude is gold for me as with being in nature.

+1 with Terry. Dont expect anyone to share thier best sites!

Good luck

Chub

chub, except for that 100 degrees thing, I think we could hunt together. I could have written the rest of your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread