Contest - Huge Marcia Otacilia Severa roman Sestertius to win!

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting the word out: 10% discount on Andre's pencils and a chance to be entered to win a gorgeous (and huge! 18.84 grams!!) roman bronze sestertius of Marcia Otacilia Severa, who was the spouse of Philippus the "Arab". Reign: 244-249 AD.

IMG_6144.JPG IMG_6145.JPG 22264580_10210617654539702_1156815225_n.jpg

You are entered for the contest and get a chance to win the sestertius every time you purchase a set. You also have to be a member on my group too: "Restoring Your Finds - Metal Detecting" since I will draw the name of the winner within the first 100 buyers coming from my group. That last point is really just about logistics!

Click on the link below to get full directions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/356723144661356/permalink/530449533955382/

For those who wonder what Andre's pencils are, they are cleaning pencils. Here are some before/after pics using them.

14650169_1720504974939263_5175092166556601453_n.jpg america-1.jpg Large Cent - Don.png IMG_3520.PNG

And some videos:

You can buy them from here (US only): André?s Cleaning Pencils ? Le Crayon à André ? Restoring Your Finds ? Metal Detecting

But remember that a 10% discount code is available too if you click on the Facebook link, as well as a chance to win the sestertius with each set of pencils you buy.

IMG_6146.JPG

Good luck to everyone!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only sold in the US you say-well :tongue3:-that's all I have to say about that.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used regular pencils with a little larger diameter tip with some success. What is the difference between what I get at the drug store for a couple of bucks and what you're selling for $20?

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would need to know what pencils you are referring to at the store. What do you mean by "regular pencils"?
Andre's pencils are now sold in many countries and are trusted by thousands of detectorists. This set is versatile and allows detail cleaning as well as taking care of a concrete like dirt crust. The brush pencil can be used as a finisher or to monitor progress. Those are also hand made, high quality. A lot of care and attention is brought to the making. They can be sharpened like regular pencils with a pencil sharpener except for the brush pencil. With this one, you just gently pull on the wool while turning the pencil. I doubt a larger tip would allow detail cleaning or finishing. Also, the set lasts a pretty long time, thanks to its high quality. Not sure about pencils that are worth a couple bucks at the drug store. But haven't tried them and haven't seen them either so I can't say anything about this. But if you have to buy 10 of them or more while I only need one set coming with 3 pencils and a brass scalpel, then the set is cheaper. ;) (with 4 devices at $20, their unit price would be around $5 btw)

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see only the set of 4 are available. How about the refillable pencil and refills?

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Think about becoming a vendor on TNet and don't you have to be a charter member to hawk your wares?

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would need to know what pencils you are referring to at the store. What do you mean by "regular pencils"?

Ok, not sure if you are from the US and I don't know what types of pencils other countries might use, but I'm talking about standard HB2 graphite/clay core, wood encased writing pencils.

Maybe what I should be asking is: What makes your pencils different than the type of pencil that I just described? What is the core made of? What is the hardness? What is it about them that will perform better for me than what I am currently using?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My .99 cent tooth brush works pretty good, no way would I consider buying a freaking cleaning pencil, are you kidding me? Best of luck, there's a sucker born every minute!

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My .99 cent tooth brush works pretty good, no way would I consider buying a freaking cleaning pencil, are you kidding me? Best of luck, there's a sucker born every minute!

I have used the pencils on roman coins that had a 1700yo concrete like dirt crust on them. They were basically baked... Good luck with the toothbrush.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are made of compacted steel wool and simply steel wool for the brush pencil. As I said, they are very versatile, more than regular H2B pencils would be. Also, their point is tougher than graphite which helps with hard crusts on coins. They also don't leave any graphite on the coins that you potentially would have to clean afterwards. If speaking of copper coins, water should clearly not be used. And contrary to what many people think, olive oil is not the way to go. (Even the British Museum published something on the matter)
You can watch back the video I made when cleaning an IHP, they don't leave a mark either. (I was using a 250x USB microscope)
Now, at the end of the day, you can't save what wasn't there in the first place, and you do have to know how to read a coin before you apply any method. I am not saying either that the pencils (whichever they are) are the miracle method and there is more than one way to clean a coin, based on its shape. The person applying the method and making decisions on how to best clean a coin is to be blamed, whatever happens. Whatever works for somebody is what they should go with.

Ok, not sure if you are from the US and I don't know what types of pencils other countries might use, but I'm talking about standard HB2 graphite/clay core, wood encased writing pencils.

Maybe what I should be asking is: What makes your pencils different than the type of pencil that I just described? What is the core made of? What is the hardness? What is it about them that will perform better for me than what I am currently using?

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too many 1700 year old coins in anybody's backyards except yours.

Well I have been living in the US for over 10 years now and I am originally French. I metal detect both in France and in the US. I do find roman coins in France and I love finding IHPs here. By the way the pencils work great on those too. My oldest find in the US is a 1696 William III silver shilling. My oldest in France is a "Massilia Obol" (silver, Greek colony of what is now the city of Marseille in France), 4th to 3rd century BC. I have been using the pencils on coins from France, Italy, Spain, England, Argentina, and the US. Never disappointed. But hey, what do I know, you might have a problem with that too. lol

Now, I am not necessarily here to be judgmental or agressive towards others, or make things become personal. I would appreciate the same in return. It is a courteous forum here as far as I know. Have a good day Sir.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are not lead pencils,but a very fine steel wool pencil very pointed tip.
You have very good control using this tool held like a pencil,they work great .
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread