Is the Garret AT Pro that good??

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short answer is yes. I don't own one because the ergonomics suck. Its like swinging a led log around and kills the elbow.

Nah. I've logged hundreds of hours with the AT Pro and it's never killed my elbow. My shoulder has been sore up top (deltoid), but that's after a hard day of swinging. It's not heavy, it's not light, but it's ergonomically fine as far as I'm concerned.

That said, for a mid to mid/high level detector, it rocks. All around great at finding stuff, especially coins, and has VERY solid depth penetration. The one thing it sucks at is salt water. On the beach you have to turn the sensitivity way down, but otherwise it's a good choice - and easy to use.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a lot of research before purchasing any metal detectors.
Doing the research before buying is a must but it must go beyond just reading the ads. The trick in reading the ads is to "read" what is NOT said in the ad. Personal reviews NOT connected with the manufacturer is better. ╦╦Ç

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the AT Pro, Most of the guys in my neck of the woods have them. What I love about them is that I get to detect behind them with my Makro Racer 2 and dig up all the silver they missed. :laughing7:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always one clown who comes behind someone and finds things. Being proficient in your detector and determined will go a long way. Seen a AT Pro shut down every detector there was one day. Still didnt convince me as I was brand loyal. Then had to use a AT Pro as mine was being upgraded. That sold me. Some folks cant buy several detectors to try. But would say get what makes ya happy, and swing the heck out of it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always one clown who comes behind someone and finds things. Being proficient in your detector and determined will go a long way. Seen a AT Pro shut down every detector there was one day. Still didnt convince me as I was brand loyal. Then had to use a AT Pro as mine was being upgraded. That sold me. Some folks cant buy several detectors to try. But would say get what makes ya happy, and swing the heck out of it.
A recent back procedure has given me a new lease on my "detector" life. I will buy another detector. And, because I have a very high regard for Terry Solomon's opinion, it will be a Tesoro. I will soon call Terry and discuss which Tesoro it will be. ╦╦Ç

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the 80's into 2014,, I was a loyal Garrett Guy.
They make an excellent machine and their after sales service is EXCELLENT!
The best description of the AT PRO I ever heard was,,
"The AT PRO is a combination of the ACE 250 and the ACE 350 on STEROIDS!!"
When I purchased the PRO, I was upgrading from a
Garrett Master Hunter CX II. The Master Hunter used "D" batteries while The PRO used AA's. That in itself made a tremendous difference in weight. I used the PRO for 2 years, mostly in the parks of NYC. I used the 5 X 8 Coil, (instead of heavier stock coil), as well as the Gray Ghost head phones. In NYC Parks, using a good quality machine, with a little detecting experience,, it was not unheard of to come home with 80 to 100 clad coins. I also recovered a few Gold Rings from fresh water lakes. If you are thinking of hunting in salt water, don't even think about using an AT PRO. I don't care how many adjustments you make,, you will be chasing Ghost Signals all day. Today I use machines by Minelab as well as the XP DEUS. These machine have many different features and capabilities that the AT PRO doesn't have. They are also a lot more expensive. The common denominator among all these machines is that they are tools that we all use to enjoy this great hobby. Regardless of what machine you choose to purchase, you still have to get out there and put the coil over the soil. GL & HH

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A recent back procedure has given me a new lease on my "detector" life. I will buy another detector. And, because I have a very high regard for Terry Solomon's opinion, it will be a Tesoro. I will soon call Terry and discuss which Tesoro it will be. ╦╦Ç
Ok, it's a done deal. I have ordered the Tesoro Cortes. The Cortes is Tesoro's top end VLF. An all-around type detector. Some here may remember my thread asking what is better, analog or digital. The Cortes controls are all analog and the display is digital so.... it is the marriage of both analog and digital! I can't wait to get started! ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, it's a done deal. I have ordered the Tesoro Cortes. The Cortes is Tesoro's top end VLF. An all-around type detector. Some here may remember my thread asking what is better, analog or digital. The Cortes controls are all analog and the display is digital so.... it is the marriage of both analog and digital! I can't wait to get started! ╦╦Ç
The Cortes came in today. Although the stem is a three part affair, it puts together very solid. I took it out to the driveway and found two zincolns the Ace 250 missed. As soon as the Grey Ghost comes in, I will start a notebook on this machine and get going. ╦╦Ç

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its awesome !

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a skeptic for years. I figured the ATPro was over hyped. I swung Tesoros for years. Here is what I owned over the years: 2 Vaqueros, 4 Tejons, 2 Compadres, 2 Cortes, a Deleon, an Outlaw and a Tiger Shark. So I was die hard Tesoro. But this year, I wanted to prove once and for all that the ATPro was all talk with little substance. So in March I bought one. I figured I would spend a month or two with it, then back to Tesoro. Well, it didn't work out that way. I've had he best detecting year since I started in 1990. So many old silver coins from areas that I've already been to, over and over. Great year for rings too. So I'm going to cast my vote and say that the ATPro is a great detector. I'm probably going to sell it, but only because I like the all metal feature of the ATMax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread