Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon all! I need some assistance in planning a last minute trip out along the East Coast / Central US. I feel some of the members here may have some excellent ideas on locations to visit, activities to go to, and sites to see. I am also an active Metal Detector and would LOVE to meet up with anyone as I travel through for some short/half day hunts. Once I have a better game plan of our exact route send me a PM if you are along it!

The situation....
The wife, baby (already a seasoned camper though!), and myself have a large amount of time off. We are going to be getting into the car with a trailer full of our backpacking/camping gear and heading East starting from Minneapolis. We are avid outdoorsy types and love to fish, backpack, canoe, Metal Detect, camp, etc etc. We also both love learning and seeing history (New England once its warmer!). We plan to stay at campgrounds, State Parks, and the occasional hotel. Camp a couple days and see the sites, drive a bit, camp again, etc etc. We are still looking for our major destination stop, but it should be a state park or scenic area of some sort... we arent the disneyworld type. We ARE the sporadic planning type though, haha!

I am looking for ideas that are places you all LOVE somewhere in that range of Minnesota - Washington DC - Mississippi - Back home again range. Any information on those spots would be incredible as well such as rules, regulations, seasons, etc. For instance, here in MN our State Forests have backwoods campsites (toilet and well) that are minimal cost ($14) and open year round. Is that the same in your state? Info like that, and ideas such as that are what I am looking for.

DEADLINE! We need to leave by Oct 23rd and be back by Nov 10th.

I know its an INCREDIBLY vague topic, and kind of an odd place to put it... but I KNOW some of you out there have some great ideas and any help would be awesome!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bud, if you end up in VA you need to keep in mind that hunting season is know in and will be through December. We have lots of Forest service land that is open to the public year round but you will be sharing with the hunters so you may want some blaze orange if you are hiking. Also, detecting is off limits on most federal and state parks. You should also check the availability of camp grounds due to many of them around here close for the winter by the end of the month. I'm not trying to put a damper on your plans, just hate to see you come this far and have issues.
I'm in the Shenandoah Valley and if you are further east towards the coast things may be a little different. VA is a beautiful place, especially in the fall of the year. Good luck on your trip and hope you have a great time. Post some pictures when you get back.

HH, RN

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for Mississippi , you may want to look into Warfield Point Park ... It is right on the Mississippi River @ Greenville ,Ms .....I don't know what you like to detect for , but there are several music festivals in the park each year , so there is stuff to find in the park itself ........... $20 a nite , electric and water and bath/showers...

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for the responses!
Relic - No damper at all! That's the info I need. Also, TRUST ME, there WILL be issues along the way but that is part of the fun :) We do have the freedom to change course at any point or come back home if needed.
Its hunting season up here in Mn as well so we are used to a cautious fall in the woods and Orange hoodies + hats. I hope to post a few pics along the way so you all know I'm rolling through, haha!

OH! BTW - internet creepers - My sister will be housesitting our house while gone. So... good luck breaking in.

We have a bit started now! Let me know if your on the way and want to show me around for a it!

1: Mpls to Champaigne, IL (hotel). Few hours to spare here so any interesting site would be neat!
2: Champaigne to Nashville via Woodlands Trace Scenic byway. (Hotel)
3:Nashville to Ashville, NC / Blue ridge mountains. Staying with an OLD friend (hopefully) for 2 nights and will be shown around the area. If not at the friends we will end up at the Cumberland Gap campground for a couple nights.
5: Heading east from Ashville to a coast somewhere... not sure where yet. Possibly NE/E/SE. Thining NE to the VA coast area, down the coast for a day or two, then east through GA.

Towards the end of trip we are going to be spending a couple nights in two spots of the Ouachita National Forest. From there it will be a straight shot home in a 1 to 2 day trip.

As for Mississippi , you may want to look into Warfield Point Park ... It is right on the Mississippi River @ Greenville ,Ms .....I don't know what you like to detect for , but there are several music festivals in the park each year , so there is stuff to find in the park itself ........... $20 a nite , electric and water and bath/showers...
On the list to lookup now! It looks like we will be heading past this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread