Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not enough to bother selling. Pickers are small, not big enough to get any interest from a buyer. I guess I have 4 grams total. I was thinking of getting a Mapp gas torch and making one blob out of it. That way I wouldn't lose it quite as fast as I lose most stuff around here. Fortunately, everything normally shows up...eventually. What would you do? I don't have skills to actually "make" anything out of it, like jewelry. Thanks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hadn't thought of flattening it, but it would still just be a flattened blob.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can only tell you what I do. I take a bucket from the best area I can find and use fines and small pickers to salt bags of paydirt for sale and gifts and I do this for two reasons.....

1. It makes me a little extra cash, more than what the gold would be worth in the first place, not much but more. I give some away to kids too, show them how to pan it. No amount of money can match the look on a kids face when he sees gold in the pan! Its pretty freakin awesome.

2. Besides the extra cash if you do it right and generously salt the bags and DONT GO THROUGH THE DIRT YOU SALT there is a good chance you are doing another miner a big favor. A lot of the dudes that buy paydirt online do so because they physically cant get out and do the mining anymore. Old timers and disabled folks. If you do it right, not only do they have the chance of finding a nice picker in the dirt you sent they are guaranteed a decent amount of gold in the bag. Folks really appreciate that. A little coin in your pocket and a good deed to fellow miners. Win win if you ask me.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, Arachnofreak. Finding time, that's the hard part.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear ya, I work in group homes and its not uncommon to work 70-90 hours a week, hard to keep employees in a place where the clients are trying to kill ya lol

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my hammered blob as a test for metal detectors. I taped it to a post card. If I had everything I gave away or sold, I would be a millionaire!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot, for me it's irrelevant as I don't sell my stuff. "Proving" to anybody else it's gold isn't something that would even cross my mind because what I know, I know. Now a jeweler could test it out as 22 k or so real fast, for the doubting Thomases out there. Also, it would give up easily to a common type gold test kit.

Nuff said - 6:17 am and off to a dig site! Yippee!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a crucible melter thingie, some gloves, tongs, etc. Now to get time to consolidate all the dust.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kit came with some Borax. I saw the real deal at the store and will get some next time I'm there. May not be till January till I get it done.

JOYOUS NEWS!

IT FINALLY FROSTED LIGHTLY LAST NIGHT. BEES WILL BE GOING BYE BYE.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one thing that impressed me the most when seeing the little sample glass vile filled with water and seeing the gold inside. I still remember turning it back and forth watching the gold sort of move in the liquid and dreaming of getting more. It's a very cool way of displaying and showing it off to interested folks. There's something magical about seeing gold in the raw, sticks in the memory bank. Now that could be just my own thoughts about that as it's been floating around for a half a century in the mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread