Cheaper metal detector VS expensive metal detectors.

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard people say that a $100 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV was as good as - if not better than - a $500 detector in regards to finding stuff. The only downside is that the cheaper ones are really hit or miss; you're machine will start getting a tone, and you have no clue what it is, whereas an expensive one can sometimes be spot on as to what you'll be pulling up.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMG_0212.JPG A less expensive machine cant be as reliable in all situations and go to the places I like to go. Knowledge and experience are more important than what you spend on a machine. You make what you have, work for you.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all comes down to personal preference. What are your intended targets? Where do you plan on using the machine? Many factors come into play when purchasing a machine. I can "afford" a $2500.00 plus machine but, being "frugal" I can't get myself to purchase one. Also being as tenacious about digging even the crappy "iffy" signals I am not convinced an even more expensive "loaded" machine will gain me anymore finds than what I am currently swinging?

Having a handful of more than capable machines in my arsenal keeps me pretty content and confident I am getting just about any recovery that can be had at my pounded sights. Of course NOT having experienced these expensive machines in my own hands I am speculating somewhat on their performance.

Having some more complicated machines as far as programming is also a thing to consider. I prefer the easier turn on and get after it machines over my DFX & Minelab Explorer II type machines. They are also quite a bit heavier in weight to the Makro Racer 2 I have been having success with this year.

I am hard on equipment and go places most folks would consider "crazy". Steep slopes, around rocks, in nasty vegetation, chisel ploughed fields, etc. So a well constructed heavy duty machine built to take some abuse is on my recommended list of features. I tend to use my shaft to move things out of the way like braches and other debris. Haven't suffered a snapped shaft or broken coil yet! It always comes down to the individual what machine or machines "fit" their styles of hunting. Peace.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You (mostly) get what you pay for.
Think of detecting as a set of filters;
- the quality of your machine can/will limit you
- your (lack of) intelligence will limit you
- your lack of experience will limit you
and so on.
All of these can be overcome with work and a little cash.

Its like firearm calibers; you should get the best you can handle effectively. For some folks that's a 22; for others its a 44mag. :thumbsup:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got kind of expensive ones that I think are easy to use, I've also used some cheap ones that were difficult because they didn't always work properly. Cheaper detectors pay for themselves quicker, that's an undeniable fact. Now depending on what you are using it for will determine if you need better discrimination, target separation, depth, etc but to get right down to it, if you don't dig every signal, you will eventually miss something really good...even with the most expensive detector money can buy (especially cache hunting).

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Generally I agree. There's a few metal detectors that cost several hundred that I think of as very easy to use.

The Teknetics G2+ is currently on sale from TekneticsDirect.com for $449! (was $699). You need to get a coupon code from a dealer (each dealer has a different number). This thing will correctly ID a dime in air at 10 inches! Some people say it has correctly IDed a dime at 10" in their soil!

Really just about any Teknetics seem easy to operate T2 Classic ($499 w/coupon) I have this, too. Also, I use my Garrett AT Pro in the simple standard mode & after I ground balanced it I got a 7" deep dime with loud beep and correct ID on every pass. Tek Omega 8000 & formerly owned Tek Gamma 6000 seem simple too, but now discontinued.

On the under $300 side, Tek Eurotek Pro & Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro seem simple as well. The Teknetics Digitek is currently on sale for $129 shipped w/coupon. ID #s & the 7" round concentric coil should make pinpointing easy. It's non-motion pinpoint. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents. To answer your question simply....Yes. Often times a "cheaper" detector is "easier" to operate than the more expensive ones. But, this is usually due to the fact that the more expensive detectors have many useful and thus more advanced features than your cheaper detectors. Many of these more advanced features give the user a better advantage and thus often times a better success rate than the user of a "cheaper" detector. But...more important than anything is hunting a site where you have targets under your coil. And....knowing your machine. Which takes much time and effort.

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting for a few years now, I started with an expensive Garret At Gold and barely found anything, then I got a cheaper Bounty hunter fast tracker for a $150 and I've found a lot more things, its just way more simple.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my best, most expensive items with a $329.00 machine. I also have a $1500 machine. It's catching up to the little guy fast. It is not necessary to "analyze" every signal, should I dig or not for 4 minutes for each target. If you do that, the $329 little guy will dig 4 items to the big machine's 1. Even if 2 were junk, it' leave the "big guy" in the dust.

It's all about your skill and comfort level.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You (mostly) get what you pay for.
Think of detecting as a set of filters;
- the quality of your machine can/will limit you
- your (lack of) intelligence will limit you
- your lack of experience will limit you
and so on.
All of these can be overcome with work and a little cash.

Its like firearm calibers; you should get the best you can handle effectively. For some folks that's a 22; for others its a 44mag. :thumbsup:

Ok, then I reckon my "limiting" factor must be my "intelligence" or rather "lack of" intelligence for choosing a simpler to operate machine? I guess that means I will have to be content with shooting gophers with my Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams .22 single shot while the big game hunters drop charging rhinos with their .700 Nitro Express cartridges at $125.00 a pop!:tard::tongue3::sad7::sad11:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the above is great advice. In my limited experience, I will say that when my Fisher F22 broke down just before a week's vacation at the shore, and requiring repair back at the factory in Texas, I had no choice but to buy a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for $79.99 on the 'net just before we left. (I didn't want to miss out on the early AM daily beach hunts I'd been waiting months for, but wouldn't spend a lot for another one). I will say that the BH Tracker IV made my week an absolute blast. I found tons of clad, misc. toys for my grand daughter, and even 2 $40 beach passes attached to a paper clip. Of course I became the beach janitor for the week digging cans, tabs, caps, tent stakes, etc etc., but I really like it as my back up machine.

Go figure! I obsessed over the AT Max until I cancelled my pre-order, still obsess over the Minelabs Equinox, but still find plenty of really cools finds with my F44. (my F22 died prematurely and Fisher made it right big time). And if that one goes on the fritz, I'll be swinging the IV without a worry.

Just my 2 cents. HH & GL!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above is great advice. In my limited experience, I will say that when my Fisher F22 broke down just before a week's vacation at the shore, and requiring repair back at the factory in Texas, I had no choice but to buy a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for $79.99 on the 'net just before we left. (I didn't want to miss out on the early AM daily beach hunts I'd been waiting months for, but wouldn't spend a lot for another one). I will say that the BH Tracker IV made my week an absolute blast. I found tons of clad, misc. toys for my grand daughter, and even 2 $40 beach passes attached to a paper clip. Of course I became the beach janitor for the week digging cans, tabs, caps, tent stakes, etc etc., but I really like it as my back up machine.

Go figure! I obsessed over the AT Max until I cancelled my pre-order, still obsess over the Minelabs Equinox, but still find plenty of really cools finds with my F44. (my F22 died prematurely and Fisher made it right big time). And if that one goes on the fritz, I'll be swinging the IV without a worry.

Just my 2 cents. HH & GL!

Well stated. That's where I believe the responsibility for recovering the good stuff falls way heavier on the operator than upon the machine they are using. The machine doesn't research the location or guarantee with absolution the target you are about to dig. It always falls upon the operator whether or not they are going to "trust" their machine or instead rely on their own curiosity to confirm whatever it is in the dirt making that noise in their headphones. I believe some of the more "complex" machines have their operators believing everything "it" tells them and perhaps talking them out of digging some "good" finds. I never argue with my machine. I KNOW it's fallible and will try and convince me a crappy signal should be passed over. How many times has a terrible sounding signal produced a find of a lifetime? My only Two Cent Piece sounded like crapola in some very dry dirt and poor hunting conditions. That was with my more complex Minelab Explorer II machine. Glad I listened to my heart instead of the machine. Glad your "cheap" Bounty Hunter came in to save the day and provide great entertainment on your vacation. Also glad Fisher eventually got it squared away with you. All good!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, then I reckon my "limiting" factor must be my "intelligence" or rather "lack of" intelligence for choosing a simpler to operate machine? I guess that means I will have to be content with shooting gophers with my Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams .22 single shot while the big game hunters drop charging rhinos with their .700 Nitro Express cartridges at $125.00 a pop!:tard::tongue3::sad7::sad11:

No, of course not. Don't be silly.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, of course not. Don't be silly.

I wasn't "being silly", FYI. I think perhaps introducing one's "intelligence" into this discussion may have been "better" referred to as "knowledge" or just as you stated "experience". It almost sounds as if you don't own a high end complicated multi frequency programmable machine with new software updates from the internet ya' might be kinda' "limited" by your "intelligence" or "lack of" as stated in your post. Please forgive me. Been praying for rain for weeks just not on my weekend! Been too caffeinated and bored in front of this damned computer not being able to go out hunting. LOL! I was bound to run into something to "trigger" me. I did get out in the rain and dug a rusty square nail and a gob of flat rusty crap. I feel better now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously? Cheap condom, or mid-priced brand? Cheap tires or the best you can afford? Cheap pistol to protect yourself, or a more reliable one? Cheap metal detectors are for children and beginners, period.

Now, LOCATION trumps cheap. Give me a cheap detector in the right Location, and I can make it look like a $1,500.00 Minelab! :skullflag:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course they are easier to use, because they are bare bone detectors with few features - You turn it on, it goes beep if it finds metal within its limited range, and thats about it.
If you are happy with that, fine - Maybe some day invite someone with a high end detector to go over ground you covered with your cheepy, perhaps seeing all the things you missed will change your perspective.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they are easier to use, because they are bare bone detectors with few features - You turn it on, it goes beep if it finds metal within its limited range, and thats about it.
If you are happy with that, fine - Maybe some day invite someone with a high end detector to go over ground you covered with your cheepy, perhaps seeing all the things you missed will change your perspective.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I think I will break out my old Minelab Explorer II tomorrow and hit some spots in my town I have been hunting with my Racer machines for the last couple years. We finally have saturated soil now so signals should be improved over the dry crumbly scratchy signals of the last 6 weeks. I would love to have access to some of the new top shelf machines but, am not going to buy one just for an "experiment". Back in the day the Explorer II was the "flagship" Minelab I believe. It is still highly respected by those who know it's capabilities and honestly, has the technology really advanced that far in the last decade? Perhaps it has. I don't know for sure but, I'll give my Explorer II a shot to get some deep coins I might have missed with my Racers. I have several top shelf coils and will be prepared to give them all a shot to see what happens. I wish I knew some folks who owned a Deus,3030 Minelab, F75, or any flagship model of the top rated manufacturers out there. I would LOVE to invite them to hit my spots and see what I "missed". Then I might be convinced to spend some $$$ and get with the program on the top end tectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread