you find a ring, do you search for the owner

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a post today on a ring found here in FL that looks like a lost wedding ring
what do you think is the percentage of folks here research the lost and found forums to return a found ring
I became fascinated about a ring return in my area in Clearwater FL
the group offers to search and return at no charge - very impressive
brady

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i found a ring from the teens so i figured they are dead

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've returned several. I feel obligated to look. But imo its a rare thing if you don't have intel going in to the hunt.

Never let out crucial ring details to ANYone before you determine who the true owner is.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found 3 class rings. The one from the 1980's I got in touch with the guy (via Facebook). He moved from Ohio to Tennessee and told me to keep it. :headbang: One from the 1950s has initials, but I have no idea of the high School identity so I did not pursue finding the owner. The other one is mangled so bad it is impossible to ID the school and the initials are not legible. I will try to make a return, even though many go by the rule "Finders Keepers".

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Sundays ago, I found a "class ring" style ring. It has a national archery organization on one side. I have searched the internet on the club and found a local chapter. Contacted the current local president and tagged him when I posted it on Facebook. He shared it with his archery buddies, but no takers so far. I have kept some of the details to myself. If someone can provide the right information about the ring, it is theirs. If not, it's mine.

Based on the coloration, I don't think it is made of any precious metals.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check Craig's list and the papers lost and found a few times a week, if I saw a notice that described a ring I found, I would gladly return it. I don't put an ad in for a found ring, because I figure if they're not posting, they are not looking on these public boards.
I will try to find the owner of a class ring,...I have had many successful returns, only 3 still in my collection.
SS

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will certainly try to contact alumni associations for class rings , or if there is a name that could be researched on the inside , I'll give it my best ! So far l succeeded with just one ring return .

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not lucky enough to find any rings that have names, class rings, or engraved wedding rings. I would definitely return one if I did find one though.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will certainly try to contact alumni associations for class rings , or if there is a name that could be researched on the inside , I'll give it my best ! So far l succeeded with just one ring return .

I have tried this for a class ring. No response from alumni email. No response from FB message. Phone number disconnected. No obituary? Strange as full name was inside....only class ring I have found so far.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Very cool Casper... I couldn’t read the article because it got to blurry when I expanded it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Information is key. For instance, a Tiffany & Co. ring usually has a serial number that helps locate the original owner.
Class rings and any others with names on the inside help in returns.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
i found a ring from the teens so i figured they are dead

Hey their gold-boy. Are you aware there is "estate jewelry" stores ? (a fancy way of saying "used jewelry"). And vintage jewelry is sort of a vogue thing. My wife bought a ring from the 1920s at one such upscale "estate jewelry" store. And wears it all the time.

And you've also probably broken your state's "lost & found" laws (if the ring exceeded whatever dollar value threshold your state sets). I know your conscience is now stricken with guilt. But not to worry: Send the ring to me, and I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No .... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine metal detecting brethren like you ! :hello:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea this one is really small and brass with a flower pattern on it and it is bent so it is round anymore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread