Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Paypal accounts have a yearly cost to them or any fees?

I see many thing for sale and etc saying pay by paypal does PP debit your bank account or use a credit card?

Last if you receive a payment from a buyer how does PP handle that?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, they've got to make money, right? I have only been on the buyers side, so I assume they get a fee from the sellers end. Like credit cards do. I know you can use a credit card or a bank account. Can't say about the last one.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you receive a payment from a buyer it will have 3% deducted (you get 97%). That's roughly, as I think maybe they really said the fee is 3% plus 30 cents.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PP-good and Bad. First, PP does Not like GUNS so do not use it for that, &^%(($$#, YES they do draw from your bank using your card, you can put as much $$ in your account for say ONE bank card that you want to be PP only is the way I have done it. That way it is private to a point say for Toy buying or serious detecting. Some use PP to keep a small or large stash away from the wife? or whoever.

PP is convenient to PAY or receive $$ works like Magic. There is Usually a small % charge for sellers to pay unless sent as GIFT. Get their lates rules and read up to Be Sure.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Above info is good.
Paypal is owned by eBay and they do their business based on their social engineering agenda. So if eBay doesn't like a retailer because of what they sell or stand for, they are blacklisted.

No cost to buyer. About 3% to seller unless its a 'gift', but that throws away any protection from fraud. So you gotta trust your seller/giftee.

They require direct access to your bank account if you want to be a seller. Now does granting someone or some company direct access to your bank account sound like a good idea? Surely there's no massive hacking of large companies on the net, eh?

Unless you have Zero self control, never possess a Debit card. Never. All the Federal credit card fraud protections go away with a Debit card. Credit cards protect you, Debit cards protect your bank. You choose who you want to look out for.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I was interested in PP it seems that most people have moved away from using a postal money to pay for stuff, Like the classifieds here (some sellers still will take a Postal money order) most want paypals.
I guess I am a little behind the times.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Above info is good.
Paypal is owned by eBay and they do their business based on their social engineering agenda. So if eBay doesn't like a retailer because of what they sell or stand for, they are blacklisted.

No cost to buyer. About 3% to seller unless its a 'gift', but that throws away any protection from fraud. So you gotta trust your seller/giftee.

They require direct access to your bank account if you want to be a seller. Now does granting someone or some company direct access to your bank account sound like a good idea? Surely there's no massive hacking of large companies on the net, eh?

Unless you have Zero self control, never possess a Debit card. Never. All the Federal credit card fraud protections go away with a Debit card. Credit cards protect you, Debit cards protect your bank. You choose who you want to look out for.

All good information, except PP split from Fleabay in 2015. They are still as anti-gun as ever though.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I was interested in PP it seems that most people have moved away from using a postal money to pay for stuff, Like the classifieds here (some sellers still will take a Postal money order) most want paypals.
I guess I am a little behind the times.

There are scams with it just like everything else. I sold something last week that the guy was almost insulted that I wouldn't accept paypal. I wanted cash only. I've had PP since it started or around that time and have never had a problem. It is linked to a checking account at a bank. But I only use it for online purchases at business's I know are legit.

Just whatever your going to use it for, kind of read up on possible scams. One being someone uses PP for a purchase, then after they leave they call the money back somehow. Not sure how that all works, and maybe depends if they used a Credit card with their PP account but I've been warned about the scam. I've also been warned not to use the friends and family for purchases, I guess you have no recourse that way. No clue if it's true.

I still like cash! I will not accept PP on a classified type ad. I have to pretty much use it through Ebay, and when buying some things online.

Added ...I misread the above. I took classifieds meaning something like Craigslist. I see you said on here. I'm sure it's ok here if you do a little checking or know the seller.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good information, except PP split from Fleabay in 2015. They are still as anti-gun as ever though.

Didn't know that. Sounds like the same folks are still running the companies just not one a division of the other. Thanks for the correction! :icon_thumright:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use PayPal almost 100% of the time. But, I always have the seller figure the % in the price and purchase as goods. I will never use friends and family option because you have no protection then. In the last 4 years I have only had one buyer/seller problem with them. I contacted them and 2 days later I had the funds back in my PayPal account. No questions asked!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
PayPal is a safe way to pay and get paid as far as I'm concerned and I've never had a problem with them.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sellers can easily get burned with Paypal. Bottom line, never blindly trust anyone with your money. That's all I'm going to say regarding Paypal.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the responses, I guess on ebay I need an ebay account to pay, I have had some sellers that want you to pay paypal account to paypal account.
On the classified on tnet I have payed with USPS money orders, which is what I prefer to use. less than $2.00 and another $3 to send it registered mail with a signed receipt.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just sold a Patriot in the TNet Classifieds and the gentleman sent me a postal MO and I had zero problems except a bit of a delay on the banking part.
I prefer PayPal because the payment is immediately in my account with no delays and I can ship out right away.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just renewed my Charter Membership on TNET. When you go to pay, you will have the option to use a credit card or PayPal. I use the credit card option

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
Does Paypal accounts have a yearly cost to them or any fees?

I see many thing for sale and etc saying pay by paypal does PP debit your bank account or use a credit card?

Last if you receive a payment from a buyer how does PP handle that?

On the buy only side there is no fee....on the seller side I don't know

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am alsobehind the time and a sceptic and and and,

I was however an early adopter of paypal and still like it.

-It´s free as buyer. Really free: no yearly or monthly fees, not transaction fees. If you dont pay often online (2-3 times a year), why buy a monthly fee
- It´s gladly accepted by buyers
- It´s realtime: You pay, seller receives
- It offers buyer protection: This guy has not a lot of reviews? Ahww paypal has 90 days (or more?) buyer protection.

Of course you must be aware and careful when buying with it, but that you have to be with your credit card, too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done thousands of transactions using Paypal over the years, both on and off ebay. I've never had any problems that I can recall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread