I have one of "those guys" in my area!!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where it boils down to a definition of "really care" . How do you define that ? If you called enough property owners (living 5 states away) and found someone's lawyer to say "no", then .... in some people's mind's eyes, it means "they care".

Or if you meant "no one in a million years will be passing by. And EVEN IF THE OWNER HIMSELF passed by , he wouldn't pay you a second glance", then .... I suppose that means "no one cares". Like stepping off-the-sidewalk type issues.

Again: It's all in image. I see that the OP has clarified that it's simply temporarily un-inhabited , and on-the-market type thing ? Versus "abandoned" ? Again: A million shades of gray.

It's wrong to go anywhere without permission. I won't argue that with anyone. Do I follow that rule everywhere in life? No, not at all.

The OP is in the right as far as him not going without permission. There really is no debating that. I personally, lately, don't go anywhere with out permission. Does that mean I will never again? Can't answer that. Like you said there are variables in that, that I use to weigh out what's comfortable with me and the potential of trouble that could come up with the choice. Or what eats at one person and doesn't another for whatever reason. etc...

As for the definition? And this is true! If Someone called me right now and said "Hey! Someone is detecting on your property" in a place that isn't my residence. I would be more worried about meeting them and joining in. There would not be a bad feeling of "trespassing" or the thought of "they are stealing my buried nails and poptabs!!!!!". If they did find something of real value? Just don't tell me. I had no clue it was there, I didn't put it there. etc.....

Now, If I decided to plant Ginseng and someone was sneaking in stealing it. That would be a different story! I put that there for profit for me.

If I bought the land to hunt, gold mine, detect,etc....Then those things might be stopped by me since that is what I bought it for.

So......Yes, there are many variables! To that decision or whether I as a land/property owner would actually care.

I'm curious as to how many other people would actually care? Like I said...I have strange ways of looking at things.

Every situation is different! What is your appearance, how do you handle being confronted, what is the area, etc.....

Not debating if it's right or wrong. It's wrong. But there are our own "rules" that we are comfortable with for whatever reason. We can all sit around and say we follow every rule in life. it's not true! We use a weigh it out approach most times.

Also...We can see that this topic is more of ....."It's not fair" than it is a "what is right or wrong". The title eludes to that. "I have" "My area":dontknow: Which is fine..It's part of the game too. But I don't think the actual "law" is the problem.:laughing7: It's the frustration of doing the "right" thing and someone that doesn't just walks in. That's just how it works in many things.

added...Geeezz! another book of a post! I guess I just started thinking about it and kept on rambling.:laughing7:

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig where I don't have permission.

Attachments

• 20171023_153721.jpg
    20171023_153721.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 71

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask if they'd found anything good?

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life is never really black and white, but many shades of gray. The legal answer would be to always get permission, but most realtors or banks will not ever give permission because of their liability of you're hurt on their land. These are the same banks who ripped everyone off, and then asked is to bail them all out..... Technically we all own a piece of those properties so give yourself permission as a co owner. LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... but most realtors or banks will not ever give permission because of their liability of you're hurt on their land....

Around here, the big draw is old-town demolition sites. Like when a building is torn down in the old-town district, so now it's bare dirt at street level. Or old-town park turf that is being scraped to make way for artificial turf, etc.... And you can ask till you're blue in the face, and guess what the answer will be ? Hence most fans of old-town demolition sites have had to develop a ... uh ... "thick skin" (that's what universal cat keys are made for after all, doh! :))

But regarding what you say about the liability issue, it made me think of one humorous encounter: I had asked a demolition contractor permission. He gave me the obligatory "safe" answer of "no". I cajoled and buttered him up to try to get him to change his mind. So then ... with a wink, says: " We leave at 5pm. What I don't see doesn't bother me. You never talked to me ".

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be old, or old fashioned, but I go with permissions only. Or parks where it is allowed. If I did what that guy did, I'd be the one the cops came for.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Honest and honorable people get permission. Dishonest and dishonorable people do not. No grey areas. Either you are honest and honorable, or you are not.

Past time for more coffee.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Honest and honorable people get permission. Dishonest and dishonorable people do not. No grey areas. Either you are honest and honorable, or you are not....

Galenrog, everything you're saying is technically 100% true. Hence, question for you: Do you take the short-cut path in this pix ? Or no ?

attachment.php

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galenrog, everything you're saying is technically 100% true. Hence, question for you: Do you take the short-cut path in this pix ? Or no ?

attachment.php

Heck! I'd drive that short cut! Why do you think they sell 33 mud tires?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one for you Tom in Ca............It's Illegal to set off fireworks in Ohio. But? There are fireworks stores everywhere. They make you sign a paper "promising" that you are taking them out of state. Ya..Like anyone that signs it does that since some of the stores are in the middle of the state. :laughing7:

But if you want some firecrackers or bottle rockets to shoot or throw at your friends? You have to be dishonest on the paper. Which they know everyone is. Or they wouldn't even sell them in the state. And every neighborhood has them going off around the 4th even though it is illegal!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Another one for you Tom in Ca............It's Illegal to set off fireworks in Ohio. But? There are fireworks stores everywhere. They make you sign a paper "promising" that you are taking them out of state. ...

Ha, that's odd.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corporate Liability Insurance precludes you ever "getting permission" to hunt these sites "legally". So either forget about hunting them at all, or learn to play the part of Robin Hood. Good luck to you in either instance, as for me and my Merry Men...Dig Baby DIG!!!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corporate Liability Insurance precludes you ever "getting permission" to hunt these sites "legally". So either forget about hunting them at all, or learn to play the part of Robin Hood. Good luck to you in either instance, as for me and my Merry Men...Dig Baby DIG!!!!!

If you called up that corporate office. The idea would be so petty to them. They would say "No" hang up the phone and all laugh about " do you believe a guy called to ask us to dig junk out of that slum yard over in ........... It had to be a set up or a scam so I just told him no!!!" :laughing7:

Not saying its right to do, or making an excuse. Just laughing thinking about what's actually going through the persons mind on the other end of the phone, and the office conversation afterwards.:laughing7:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Living in the urban settings the permissions can be challenging on properties. If I don't own it well somebody else does-then I'll have to get permission. I'm at the stage in life where I have a better time looking at the ground than over my shoulder waiting for somebody to challenge my presence on the property. There's no grey its black or white with all my sites now. Parks are even getting to be a hassle if the city allows or not allows, some have rules about digging, some allow detecting if you don't dig.
I drive by churches thinking I could, but it's a hassle to be thumped verbally. I've heard it all over the years, and had a new hole ripped for digging on church property. Even to the point where been accused for digging up graves! No frigging cemetery was even at the said church, so it leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.
I see abandoned houses, barns, cellars holes and when my mind is made up on wanting to detect it-it only takes a couple of door knocks to find out who owns the property. Then its up to the my skills of asking for the permission and then it's a pleasure to say to the asking "Yes I do have permission to be on the property-do you?" More than once the asker has no permission even when they say they do, hunters seem to ask a lot and in turn they're the ones trespassing.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No property is free to dig in if you do not own it . Always get permission and if you can not find anyone to ask leave it be . Call the cops on that guy ASAP . Call the city , call the sheriffs office , call the real estate co . Call anyone but do not ever think it is ok to just go and dig some where because YOU think it is ok . I know where a 1904 high school is and it is owned by a guy in California . I can not reach him and all the windows and doors are gone . I asked ppl that live right by it, no luck and I have not dug one hole . It sucks but that is the way it goes .

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No property is free to dig in if you do not own it . Always get permission and if you can not find anyone to ask leave it be . Call the cops on that guy ASAP . Call the city , call the sheriffs office , call the real estate co . Call anyone but do not ever think it is ok to just go and dig some where because YOU think it is ok . I know where a 1904 high school is and it is owned by a guy in California . I can not reach him and all the windows and doors are gone . I asked ppl that live right by it, no luck and I have not dug one hole . It sucks but that is the way it goes .

It won't do anyone any good to start playing tattle-tale because someone is digging on land that isn't yours. Only the land owner can file such a complaint. Calling everyone and reporting him only further damages the reputation of all diggers in the area. Just get over it and move on.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't do anyone any good to start playing tattle-tale because someone is digging on land that isn't yours. Only the land owner can file such a complaint. Calling everyone and reporting him only further damages the reputation of all diggers in the area. Just get over it and move on.

Was just about to say the same thing.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So? Your one of "those guys". :laughing7:

Are you ticked because he beat you to it.(detecting it) or because he might being doing something Illegal? It's not impossible to find an owner with some quick net searches, or at least get you in the direction. You waited too long and someone beat you to it, whatever their method was.

All joking aside... I get what your saying and permission is always best. I just wouldn't be bothered by checking to see if someone has permission or not. None of my business. That's something that they really aren't hurting and if they get caught by an owner that cares? They will pay for it. Or may at a different property.

And technically? If you want to get down to laws in some states? You were trespassing just the same by wandering around asking questions, by just being on the property.:laughing7:

Just have to do what your comfortable with in the Hobby, I'm to the point where permission is best. I also get some of the other theories. I've been there too in the past. But I won't be out enforcing, asking, taking plate numbers, on something like this.:laughing7:

I have a property that if I caught someone detecting on? I would care less. If they aren't destructive and having fun? I want to join in! So, I'm kind of mixed and an oddball with some of this stuff. If I caught someone in my yard where I live without permission? I'd come unglued. It's a little more personal to me. But I know everyone views on this are different. If someone called and said "Someone is detecting your vacant land!!!!" I'd laugh and say worry about your own land.:laughing7: Call me when something important or destructive is happening! :laughing7: Ohh And hey! Charge them for the little pieces of junk they spent all day looking for and digging up! :laughing7:
Pictures of cars and plates? Calm down baspinall, your blood pressure. Don't be such an Archeologist. PA is a nice state, lived there for a while. Kind of hope there isn't anything in Oregon that would make you want to visit.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had something similar happen recently. There was a 1800s mansion about 2 mins from my house. Ive been watching it for years and the homeowners didn't want people on the property. About a year ago it went into foreclose and the owners moved out. I weighed my options and decided to attempted the legal process first. Since it was now owned by the bank I knew it was almost impossible to talk to someone. So I kept an eye out for the grounds keeper that the bank hired. One day I saw the crew and approached them explaining my intentions to detect. At first he said No then went into id have to contact the bank. I said do you have the number. He called his contact at the bank and after a confusing conversation about me looking for historical relics in the ground I received a YES. I was soo surprised. The property was to be demolished and they could care less. I signed a liability waver that I carry with me and was good to go. Now to the part that pissed me off. After doing the right thing and obtaining permission, some dip **** beat me to it by sneaking onto the property. Of course he didn't get everything but the high tones were cherry picked. I can see it from both point of views but I feel more comfortable k WP_20170118_12_44_39_Pro.jpg WP_20170118_12_45_07_Pro.jpg nowing I'm in the right.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread