If Someone Was Detecting Your Land Without Permission?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of Rambling in someone's thread I thought I would start one.

I'm not out to promote or make anyone look bad. Just curious about the question as it's asked. There is no Right or wrong answer, as far as I'm concerned. We all already know the "right or wrong".

For me? If I caught someone detecting my land? I wouldn't care less. If they found something valuable? I wouldn't even want to know!

I've run all over as a kid and half my life, running into property owners that were very nice, considering, They would just say "don't leave trash". And I felt that I would always deal with explorers,hunters, arrow head hunters, etc... the same way.

I have been told to leave a couple places over the years. One of which the property owner had phone in hand ready to dial the cops. I talked him out of it and promised never to come back. That was a little different situation though, I was in my 20's a car load of people, and my friends were running around inside the buildings exploring while I was detecting. Looking back? The man had every right to be upset, and he had no idea what he was walking into and had to take the approach that he did. After I explained what I stopped for he calmed way down. He was more worried about vandalism when he pulled in and had a problem with it happening over and over. Once he found out we weren't a part of that, a simple "we will leave and stay away" was fine.

So, If you caught someone detecting on your land or a property that wasn't your residence, would you really care?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Airsoft sniper rifle, with neon pink permanent ink ball bullets!. :skullflag:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before I got to the question, I'm sorry, but I have to be "that guy" for a moment. If you "would care less," that implies that you at least care somewhat as it is. I think you meant you "wouldn't care less."

Now, as for the question, this depends on many factors. What type of land is it and how old? Is it gated off and/or are there warnings posted about not trespassing? What are my plans for this land? How far is the land from where I live?

Without all that context, it's impossible to give an honest answer one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I got to the question, I'm sorry, but I have to be "that guy" for a moment. If you "would care less," that implies that you at least care somewhat as it is. I think you meant you "wouldn't care less."

Now, as for the question, this depends on many factors. What type of land is it and how old? Is it gated off and/or are there warnings posted about not trespassing? What are my plans for this land? How far is the land from where I live?

Without all that context, it's impossible to give an honest answer one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ya....I'm not much of a writer!:laughing7: I fixed it! Thanks for pointing that out.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airsoft sniper rifle, with neon pink permanent ink ball bullets!. :skullflag:

See? I would play around with people too! Hide fake gold coins everywhere! :laughing7: I'm sick enough to go through the trouble for a joke.

"Holy cow! You found a coffee can of silver dollars? hmmmm...Better check to see if those are real!"

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine, is posted, I'd politely tell them to leave. (And not tell them we're finding CW on the property.) Not many relics, but....

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested to talk with them first, before I made up my mind. There are so many different types of people. Some people would jump at the chance to call the cops, some would love to make a friend. Some people would hide a treasure some would give it away. People are funny.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine, is posted, I'd politely tell them to leave. (And not tell them we're finding CW on the property.) Not many relics, but....

I had permission from a guy that had a Civil war camp on his property, he even had a roadside type museum of things they had found. I didn't have my detector at the time. And right now? I couldn't even tell you where it was to get back to it. It's been a couple of years now. I'm not even sure what county we were in. Just happened to stop in and the topic came up. I planned on going back, but things happened and time went on...

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested to talk with them first, before I made up my mind. There are so many different types of people. Some people would jump at the chance to call the cops, some would love to make a friend. Some people would hide a treasure some would give it away. People are funny.

Your right! If they gave me the impression that they had the "right" to be there? Then I'd have an issue. So, I am kind of funny when it comes to this stuff...

But as early adults we ran all over the place, all through the woods and fields exploring. We never asked one property owner for permission. They were always nice when they rode up on their horses or we ran into them walking. I just always wanted to be the same way and not just "Everyone stay out". Now, I do understand why people do that, and I may come to that one day. The last time I was there the trash issue was getting worse. I don't get why people just can't carry out or make a small fire and burn the trash. Or if you feel like you need to leave it, throw it all in one spot instead of scattered through the woods. I'm a smoker and don't even throw my cig butts down on my land or anyone else's unless they do on theirs.

A giant peepee and boys spray painted on a nice rock face that follows the creek kind of ticked me off too! Like Why? What was the reason to carry a can of spray paint the whole back in the woods, in a place that no one really sees and paint that? I'm curious as to why and the mindset than that they actually did it!:laughing7: So a guy detecting wouldn't bother me one bit, as long as he isn't the spray paint artist!

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a matter of risk vs reward. If there is no barrier (fence) to prevent someone from walking in, and no signs indicating that it's posted then really all they can do is ask you to leave (the first time) as a warning.

Now if there is a secure fence or a simple sign advising the public to keep out then that's your warning. If you go disregard that the property owner or manager can file a written complaint and would have to press charges via written complaint and be willing to testify in court.

In general the police could not possibly care less and would rather not be bothered with someone picking up trash.

I know these things because one of my detecting buddies is a retired cop.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i would tell him... well i can't say it on here but he would run for the hills

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maryland, the trespass laws are nasty. If it's posted, you're toasted.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a matter of risk vs reward. If there is no barrier (fence) to prevent someone from walking in, and no signs indicating that it's posted then really all they can do is ask you to leave (the first time) as a warning.

Now if there is a secure fence or a simple sign advising the public to keep out then that's your warning. If you go disregard that the property owner or manager can file a written complaint and would have to press charges via written complaint and be willing to testify in court.

In general the police could not possibly care less and would rather not be bothered with someone picking up trash.

I know these things because one of my detecting buddies is a retired cop.

In some places no fences or signs are needed. No warning needed. It is posted by law, unless written permission.
I know this after talking to the local cops about how to deal with a situation if I ran into it again. The cops told me..."You remove them from your land by any means necessary." Especially if they are armed and refuse after being asked.

When we first bought it. I ran into a guy that wanted to argue who owned it. I think because we were younger at the time he had a hard time with that and believing we were the owners. With gun in his hand, he got upset, and told me I wasn't the owner. I calmly told him..."maybe I'm confused" Or something like that, to back away. This is pretty much what most of us might consider no where!! No one would have heard the shot!
But, Next time I'll deal with that a little differently I think, if something like that were to happen again.
That's one of the times I talked to the local cops when I ran into them in town, just to see how you handle that? They aren't going to walk back in there for something like that! He was a big guy(the cop)! He wouldn't have made it over the first hill before running out of breath!:laughing7: Heck, I'm in shape and I run out of breath back there!

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in a small, rural community and every body knew every body. We couldn't get away with anything. We pretty much had the run of all the land we could get too as kids, with or without permission as long as we closed all the gates we opened and was respectful of people's property. I really miss those days but things are a lot different know and people will sue you over anything. It doesn't seem that people raise their kids to respect others the way we were and many adults are no different. I'd let most anyone I know on my property, but they should at least ask.

HH, RN

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relic nut said it the exact way i grew up, i own diff timber property's and i dont post my land, if someone wants to hunt, fish, hike or other i say let them be, on my property. but i see its worse now than ever before , so much land that others dont even want a hunting dog to cross there place its getting a sham these days. if you pull over beside the road a cop will be there in minutes .

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i found someone detecting my property i would snicker under my breath and wish them luck.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in a small, rural community and every body knew every body. We couldn't get away with anything. We pretty much had the run of all the land we could get too as kids, with or without permission as long as we closed all the gates we opened and was respectful of people's property. I really miss those days but things are a lot different know and people will sue you over anything. It doesn't seem that people raise their kids to respect others the way we were and many adults are no different. I'd let most anyone I know on my property, but they should at least ask.

HH, RN

Same here, My Grandfather took me to spots hunting mushrooms that he went to as a kid. I'm sure he had no idea who owned it at the time we went. He just knew that Years ago he was allowed because Old john or whoever told him he could. 60 plus years ago!:laughing7: Same with hunting. The land changed hands 20 times, but didn't matter, A guy that was 80 gave my grandpa permission when he was 10 so that carried for life!

After thinking about what I wrote above? I wonder if age has something to do with it too....Catch a young polite kid exploring or an old nice guy with his grand kids and I'll bet most people are more accepting.

Your right too! The fear of being sued plays into it too! I carried insurance for a long time just for that reason....Until I found out..It's a waste and you really don't need it. Depends on the situation too.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the crown doesn't own it then its private, that means one gets permission. As far as my land-well stay off of it period. Walking, hunting, fishing, picture taking, and signage states the long list. The other day the dog was going crazy, looked out and there's some dude in my front yard. Climbed the stone stirs up from the road, his lady friend running through the bush beside the house with her dog marking everything. I went out on the deck and asked her what was up, she said they wanted to take a picture of the rocks. I just politely stated if she wanted to she should but her own land, and the right of entitlement isn't cool, so leave. They left and I just shook my head.
Nobody has the right to be snooping around on anyone else land simple as that. That's my take on it, the last thing I'd want to find is some dude digging holes in my turf.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the crown doesn't own it then its private, that means one gets permission. As far as my land-well stay off of it period. Walking, hunting, fishing, picture taking, and signage states the long list. The other day the dog was going crazy, looked out and there's some dude in my front yard. Climbed the stone stirs up from the road, his lady friend running through the bush beside the house with her dog marking everything. I went out on the deck and asked her what was up, she said they wanted to take a picture of the rocks. I just politely stated if she wanted to she should but her own land, and the right of entitlement isn't cool, so leave. They left and I just shook my head.
Nobody has the right to be snooping around on anyone else land simple as that. That's my take on it, the last thing I'd want to find is some dude digging holes in my turf.

Yes...I feel the same way about where I live. It's personal to me when someone is snooping around the house. When i lived in the city we had a guy that would let his dog go on purpose, then creep around everyone's yards looking in windows. Using the loose dog as an excuse. We know he did it on purpose, since at one point I had a small outside camera hitting his front door. He became a problem and I started watching....He would open the door look around, then let the dog loose. a Few minutes later he was wandering around through yards telling people(if he was questioned) "haha sry, just looking for my dog"

So, a home is personal space. I'm with you there. An adult creeping around is going to run into problems at my home too. A kid? Well, that's a little different, we've caught them sneaking partial cigs out of the ashtray in front of the garage.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread