Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used AT pro. You can get one for around 400.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Solomon did a survey in 2016 you might be interested in.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/514682-your-picks-five-best-metal-detectors-under-1-000-00-a.html

My pick for the best bang for the buck is the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro (Lowest price found is $256.43) It has many of the bells and whistles available on higher end machines, it's light weight, aftermarket coils are available, and it comes with the DD coil.
41cIy7+hvLL._AC_US160_.jpg

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
How about an old CZ 5. I think their basically like a CZ21 but not submersible. Haven’t used one but they have great revues and will work in salt water. There going for around $350.00. How do they compare to new detectors in that price range?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Peter67 : Looking at the list of detectors you already have (on your avetar), it sounds like you have a wide variety to toy with, already ! :) But to answer your question: It will depends on your objectives and environment. Ie.: what are you looking for (type objects) and what types hunt environs ? Eg.: caches ? coins? jewelry-beach ? nuggets, etc.. (And don't say "all"). And what types ground ? Eg.: wide open ag-crop fields ? Junky iron-ridden ruins ? Beaches ? etc... (and don't say "all") .

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As tom said....thats a big can of worms there

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's MXT is as deep as any with the right coil, it's a high end detector for mid level money and used can be had for what you would pay for some low end detectors. HH

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Can not say for entry level at all. Mid level is a highly debated opinion when the parameters are simply based on Mid Level only, but for me I would have to say the CTX. High end, hands down is the GPZ with a 19; just the stock GPZ through proper training on crummy ground like you would get in Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg and Italy pays for its self after 80 hours. Take it to some better ground in Croatia, Serbia, Romania and your doing much better, northern Africa and your not going to want to leave. LOL

Proper training is a must though, and it helps a great deal more if you have a vet GPZ operator with you on your first 20 or 30 hours.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While Tom is dead on, I will say the ATP is the best value.
BUT, in a few months I may change my answer to the Equinox. We'll see.

smdog66

Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you see CZ5 for 350.00?? I been following Ebay, most the time $500 and up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread