Garrett AT MAX second thoughts :(

cbeck8

Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently sold my AT pro and got the AT max, so far I have spent about 5 hours detecting with it and I don't really like it, it seems to just find surface finds and the tone of the beeps are really odd and sometimes the high tones are hard to hear, I really liked my pro and i found lots of silver coins with it, thinking about honestly returning the max and buying a brand new at pro and a new pinpointer instead.

I looked forward to the AT max so much but its letting me down!

Any advice? anyone had the same issues and it just took them a while to get used to? I don't know what to do!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any new machine can be a little confusing at first. Get about 50 hours on it, then you'll begin to see what it can do.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s definitly A different machine...

I only have an hour on it, but managed to find some good stuff in a small park I have been to 10 times before.

I have good luck running it in zero mod - with iron discrim at like 38. I have only 1 day on it, and that setting is very much like the at pro.

The tones are similar... I think the vdi Locks in better. Overall, it seems better than my atp

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it much better than my ATP. The tones work better for me. Although I haven’t found any deep silver I did get a CW 3 ringer at 10-11”. I’ve also found more V nickels then I’ve found all years. I think it’s a mid tone killer so far. I hunt zero mode, coin mode work great to if you’re not worried about gold at the time. I hope things turn around for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old school advice used to be,, "It takes 100 hours on a new machine to hear what the machine is trying to tell you."
Put down a few coins of different denominations. Use both clad and silver. Run the coil over each coin separately and record each number. Repeat this in different mode settings. Note any differences. Pay attention to tones and the pitch of the tone. High pitch, silver. Mid tone, nickel.
Do the same with jewelry. If you have 14k and 18k, check for different numbers. Chains and bracelets can be a little harder to pick up than a ring but a slow and low approach should get you a signal.
If you hunt for 4 hours per hunt, it will take 25 hunts to reach 100 hours. Keep a log and you will be able to see your progress. Good luck and HH.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Giving up after 5 hours? Don't forget if the stuff ain't there your not going to find it. Give it time man! Your probably just used to your pro.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Most things can be tolerated given enough time; does not mean that you will enjoy it.

I never thought much of the Max when they announced it, but the AT line has built up one heck of a socially popular name.

If you do not like your machine, dump it and get what works for you.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum cbeck8. I'd make sure of your return window first. Use it another week then return it if it isn't working out for you. Good luck.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its about getting out of your comfort zone. The AT max is a different machine with different nuances that you will have to learn. In time, you will become one with your machine and the universe will be complete. Until that time, try not to use it like the AT Pro. From what i understand, people who use the AT Gold are crossing over to the MAX with more ease.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I think its about getting out of your comfort zone. The AT max is a different machine with different nuances that you will have to learn. In time, you will become one with your machine and the universe will be complete. Until that time, try not to use it like the AT Pro. From what i understand, people who use the AT Gold are crossing over to the MAX with more ease.

I had the same comfort issue going from the GPX4500 to a GPZ.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not the first one that has said something like this.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same comfort issue going from the GPX4500 to a GPZ.

Oddjob,
I too had to get comfortable on the GPZ back in 1985. :laughing7:
One of the nicest bikes I ever owned.

IMG_2004.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread