Greenie
Jun 30, 2014
Berkeley Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. I recently found a CS 12 pdr common shell in a freshwater creek that I believe is slightly acidic with tannic acid as the water is reddish. The shell had a very thick crust and is unusually light. I did 24 hours of low amperage electrolysis and took it out of the bath. There is not a lot of pitting and the ball is relatively smooth but the iron is quite soft which I assume means there is a fair amount of graphitization.

So, my questions are, after a hot wax bath to remove all the moisture:

1. Will a graphitized shell stabilize?
2. Should I run it in electrolysis longer to ensure the acid is no longer present?

Hoping to hear from The Cannonball Guy :)

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I recently found a CS 12 pdr common shell in a freshwater creek that I believe is slightly acidic with tannic acid as the water is reddish. The shell had a very thick crust and is unusually light. I did 24 hours of low amperage electrolysis and took it out of the bath. There is not a lot of pitting and the ball is relatively smooth but the iron is quite soft which I assume means there is a fair amount of graphitization.

So, my questions are, after a hot wax bath to remove all the moisture:

1. Will a graphitized shell stabilize?
2. Should I run it in electrolysis longer to ensure the acid is no longer present?

Hoping to hear from The Cannonball Guy :)

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Good ? 'IMO' .

The Cannon Ball Guy's 'Logo' is out on the Clouds & the Call is out on social media.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread