OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the awesome feedback.

Both my wife and I are prior military and have fired weapons many times but have never felt the need to own any. I agree 110% on going thru some formal training by a professional and practice practice practice. The firearm recommendations are all ones that I have looked into and the "Judge" is one that I am favoring.

Lighting idea is already in place at both of my homes and the camera idea might be on the table for the cabin at least. I also have plans for an alarm system.

We do plan to take further training on self defense, not just firearms training, more steered towards avoidance/escape etc.

Again thank you for all the info and yes we do live in a crazy world.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fish1on, If you are in the right area of Utah, I might be able to set you up with a day of training by a special forces buddy who can get you up to speed in short order. I have relatives and ex military buds all over the state, pm me with your general area and will see what I can do, it will be Free training.

If you are a Liberal, do Not mention it..

Thank you for the offer, very generous of you.

I have already reached out to a few places here and I think that I will be using them in the near future.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some necessary research on home defense and concealed carry pistols a couple years ago because we live very close to Ferguson, Missouri. I also worked in Ferguson for many months immediately after the Mike Brown debacle in an industry that was neither supported nor respected by his fan base.
I read an article that listed the top ten highest rated CC pistols under $400 that scored the Bersa Thunder .380 as number one. Armed with that knowledge, (pun intended) I continued my research on Bersa, an Argentine company that supplies it military with firearms. I eventually bought one and I really like it. My fiance, who is our MRO local secretary, loves it and plans on suggesting that our organization purchase one for a future giveaway.
It's very light with an aluminum slide, not polymer, is very comfortable to hold and almost feels like an extension of your hand.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i have a signal shot 410 and a my dad has a pump 12 shot gun

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For home defense I have a 12 gauge parked at my front door and a Glock 19 in my bedroom.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More great suggestions, thank you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Jugde" by Taurus is a great home defense gun. Its a revolver that shoots .45 cal or 410 guage shotgun shells. Small enough to keep nearby but powerful enough to protect the home. Whats great about it shooting shotgun shells is you don't need to be a dead accurate shot. "Close enough" will get it done.

I second the Taurus Judge or Public Defender, I conceal carry the Taurus Public Defender loaded with 3 Hornady Critical Defense rounds, (each shell has a 410 slug and two 35 cal lead bearings) alternating with two .45 cal hollow points. It is a great firearm for home defense as well and it fits on your nightstand or under your mattress much easier than a shotgun.

Every room in my house has a hidden loaded firearm in case of a home invasion, they consist of AK47. AR15, SKS, Springfield XD 45, Springfield XDS 45, Ruger LC9, Taurus Public Defender .45, Remington 12 ga auto and a 22 rifle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I conceal carry the Taurus Public Defender with 3 Hornady Critical Defense rounds, (each shell has a 410 slug and two 35 cal lead bearings) alternating with two .45 cal hollow points. It is a great firearm for home defense and it fits on your nightstand or under your mattress much easier than a shotgun.

That is now one of my top considerations thank you very much

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am astounded at some of the bad advice in this thread. PM if you want a private opinion.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Get your self two german shepherds and have them trained. No one will be creeping into your house at night.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your self two german shepherds and have them trained. No one will be creeping into your house at night.

They can be pypassed by drugged raw steaks.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact a ccw instructor, take the basic course of gun safety, then sign up for as many advanced tactical and combat courses as you can take,while spending a lot of time shooting and dry firing using snap caps. You never want to be in a gun fight or a knife fight, but if you are there are things that you can learn that will save you and you loved ones lives.
My gun has saved me on three occasions, my preparedness and confidence on handling the situation saved the lives of the perps too. One other thing, do not listen to the advise of those who fear and are against guns, they do not understand, they feel that a woman who has been raped is morally superior than one who is explaining how those holes got into here attacker. Being prepared, does not make you paranoid, it makes you smart.
Good luck and shoot the gun you are comfortable with. So try out as many as you can.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They can be pypassed by drugged raw steaks.

I had a dog that would not take offerings from strangers. I once took a biscuit he refused from the vet and he dug it out of my pocket on the way home.
The best dog training is that in which the owner is fully involved. More so when a trainer is employed. Almost like if you send a child to learn a language you do not understand and then try to communicate through it.
All I expect of my dogs( in regards to security or dealing with traffic) is to let me know when something is around. And they do!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fish1on, If you are in the right area of Utah, I might be able to set you up with a day of training by a special forces buddy who can get you up to speed in short order. I have relatives and ex military buds all over the state, pm me with your general area and will see what I can do, it will be Free training.

If you are a Liberal, do Not mention it..

Best course of action in this thread. Follow up on this if possible.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a murder about 50 ft. from my front door some time back and we didn't do much different. (Well I guess it wasn't murder, as the courts let the guy walk, but the victim didn't magically come back to life) Don't be ultra paranoid, but always be aware and alert, don't make yourself look like an easy target and don't advertise valuable items you may have in the house. (Those 'trespassers will be shot' signs lets me know the guy does have guns in the house) In spite of your best efforts burglars may hit, so it's a good thing to take photos of items like electronics, jewelry, firearms, and other valuable items you may have, record serial numbers, and personally mark them if you can. This will help the police and your insurance company a lot. As far as firearms, if I had one I would prefer the Remington 870, 12 gauge, 20 inch barrel with rifled sights for all around defense. That's what most departments carried in their units, and female officers seemed to handle them just as well as the guys. And if nothing else, they make a loud noise so maybe the neighbors will call the police for you.

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am overwhelmed with all of the great responses, THANK YOU everyone.

I am feeling way more confident in my plan forward and with all of the great "Points to ponder" that have been provided here and from family and friends I am ready to get started.

First on my to do list is to get the professional training for both my wife and myself. Education and experience is a very powerful tool and will help make better decisions.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In Real world, a security alarm would be nice to have ,it would get your attention. but waking up from sleep and trying to figure out them self defense moves from a class twenty years before would be hard, not to mention finding that drinking straw weapon. chances are the armed robber is armed and dangerous. hes gona shoot you right in the face. just get it over with, if one comes in on you, dont worry about wrestling him down to the cops get there ,they will go to jail for a month or two and probably be back and try it again. i guess i should add a defense class would be alright but you need to be ready to use it, and aware off the coming attack ,in the middle of the night in the dark its gona be useless

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest: