Question on home protection firearms

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, not sure where to post this question as we have no firearms/self defense forums that I can find.

I/we have recently gone thru some tragedy pretty close to the home front. Do not need to get into details but there was shooting and a death involved. My wife is a bit skittish now as well as I and we are wanting to beef up our home defense.

Firearms are in the equation as well as some courses on self defense but would love some advise on things to do to be better prepared and educated.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a baseball bat and a can of bearspray next to my bed

plus two attack cats

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the AR-15 and any semi-automatic pistol that fits your hand well. Your wife can easily handle the AR-15 because there is very little recoil.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always thought that a shotgun would be best for home, you won't be aiming a half mile away

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ar is not something my wife can handle. Semi auto 20 gauge 18" is what I am thinking with pistol grips?

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Jugde" by Taurus is a great home defense gun. Its a revolver that shoots .45 cal or 410 guage shotgun shells. Small enough to keep nearby but powerful enough to protect the home. Whats great about it shooting shotgun shells is you don't need to be a dead accurate shot. "Close enough" will get it done.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Approach to your home.
Is it easy to get close undetected? Hard to get through perimeter without hiding places ? ( Traffic steered to pinch points).
Wireless driveway alarms . Security lights. Cameras ( amazing products out there today). A dog. Are some things that can deter. Deter does not mean avoid. Just reduce perceived vulnerability.

Many doors and windows are easy to breach. Making them more secure takes funds and effort,and...you don't want to trap yourself in the house. ( Fire or other emergency).
Safe education of the use,storage,care of a firearm ,and practice under stress are important. Use of cover or a safe room worth studying. As with learning self defence law .
Believe it or not, a dog can get you in a lot of legal trouble.
As a family member,and trained along with a very caring owner though; a dog is a power outage ,inside the home security/ early warning for me.

Hardest to be aware when asleep . Not easy to not get patterned in daily routines. Alarms/ detection devices can help.

Be aware! Not wildly paranoid. Just preferring to see an approach before it is in your personal space. An easy target? Or a higher risk of engaging type target?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
consider a large yard sign

THIEVES WELCOME / IF YOU LIVE YOU CAN KEEP IT

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had three attempted burglaries. All failed. #1 They watched me leave, kicked the basement door, but I had it braced by an 8" wide beam going to an adjacent wall, they set off the alarm and left.

#2 Idiots tried opening the basement door again. Still braced. Idiots left.

#3 After the idiot #2 event, I put motion sensor lights outside, you don't get within 30' of the building before they come on. And got cameras. Idiot #4 tried backing in the driveway at 4 am. I was awake, don't know why, Lights were triggered on and idiots #4 left in their vehicle.

Which saved them from idiot #5, me, with a 12 gauge pump shotgun, only for indoor use. Thank God I have never had to use it. The lights and the little red light on the camera will indicate to the sane idiots they should move on.

I like my alarm system. I like my motion sensor lights, and those demonic looking cameras with the little red lights shining out of the darkness.

Biggest real problem here is wildlife. Was wondering what the 4 or 5 deer standing in the driveway were doing. Well, as I pulled in, they were trying to stay away from the mountain lion, which I scared off by chasing it back down the woods with my sedan.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy a security camera system, Please if your not familiar with firearms and have not used one extensively it is not an option.
If you plan on a firearm and decide that you need that, take a safety course and go to the gun range every week for 2 years.

Yea, a camera system is cheaper than a firearm and 2 years of becoming familiar with your weapon. Please if the weapon
is for self defense in your home, use "Frangible ammo". This ammo fragments when it strikes a hard surface. You will be
less likely to shoot through 4 walls and kill your family members or neighbors.

Be safe and choose your options wisely!

I grew up around guns, my father was a collector, my first rifle was at 8 years old. I have been an avid shooter
all my life. All my guns are in a Safe that would take me 5 minutes to open in an emergency. I'm more worried
someone would steal my guns and kill someone else, then me having to use a gun against an intruder.

Take self defense courses and they will instruct you that everything is a weapon. A drinking straw from McD's is
a weapon if you know how to use it.

Stay safe

Last edited:

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a good choice for home protection in my view would be the public defender smaller brother of the judge if you are inexperienced in firearmes it is a point and shoot 410 shot or 4 slugs in each shot rgb1

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Short barrel or sawed off 12 gauge pump, buckshot rounds , you dont even aim , and will stop most any north american trouble.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Armalite Rifle was invented so women can shoot it too. Basically a 22 rifle on steroids. It is psychologically intimidating. 30 round magazine for those home invaders intent on the unspeakable. 20 gauge is for rabbit and grouse. Go to a shooting range and rent a AR and an instructor. Oh I forgot, the AR will shoot 22LR with an adaptor bolt.

3330543_03_pink_spikes_tactical_ar_15_cus_640.jpg

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 gauge pump loaded with 000 buck shot. Night stand sig p226 loaded with Hornadays. Take a class and get you're CCL and take some self defense classes. It's a crazy world and times we live in.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish1on, If you are in the right area of Utah, I might be able to set you up with a day of training by a special forces buddy who can get you up to speed in short order. I have relatives and ex military buds all over the state, pm me with your general area and will see what I can do, it will be Free training.

If you are a Liberal, do Not mention it..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, not sure where to post this question as we have no firearms/self defense forums that I can find

That's because this is a treasure hunting website, not a gun or hunting website.

But since you asked, I'd go with security cameras, an alarm system and motion detector lights. A gun is worthless if you wake up in the middle of the night with a gun (probably YOUR own gun) pointed in your face. Stop them from getting in the house unannounced in the first place and you'll never need a gun.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Home defense, urban, and combat shooting courses taught by experienced, professional, certified instructors. Then a commitment to PRACTICE the skills you have learned. Hand to hand? Krav Maga. :skullflag:

Attachments

• mancave.jpg
    mancave.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 145
  • HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg
    HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • m79.jpg
    m79.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Soloman Brothers.jpg
    Soloman Brothers.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 74
  • zona 001.jpg
    zona 001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 68

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no need for any protection--------------------

here in NEW YORK--- we have the "SAFE ACT" =========.....>>>>>>>

our MORON Governor, little sissy boy Andy Cuomo will come to your aid----

estimated arrival time???????????? -------I DUNNO :dontknow:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AR is not something my wife can handle. Semi auto 20 gauge 18" is what I am thinking with pistol grips?

You've got the right idea, assuming by "with pistol grips", you mean no buttstock which would only hamper your maneuverability in close quarters. I'd let her try a standard fore end and a forward pistol grip and see which she is most comfortable with. I think after a few rounds, she'll do fine. She could handle an AR, but that's not the right gun inside the home unless that's all you've got at the moment. Drywall doesn't put up much of a fight against a bullet and the last thing you want to do is miss your target in a high-stress situation and hit a loved one in another room. Best of luck, brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread