You Take A Chance...."Used Metal Detectors"

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I am a trusting type in general with people, and buying used detectors came naturally. Now, after 6 years, I am wondering if sellers, and that includes a friend or two of mine who have "come and gone at this time" now...coulda sold limp/lame machines, stating that the detectors "have been no problems", or "works as intended."
Y'all general response is likely, "Well you buy used, you take your chances." The point in this post is to give second thoughts to anyone who simply believes that a used machine is only sold because they are quitting the hobby, maybe found a better technology in a detector...WHILE they may very well be just car salesmen in metal detectors.

Think about it. How many people have bought a used machine and put in lots of time and effort and still can't see signals which friend sees with the machine setup,,,all the settings the same, and the buddy swinging your machine against his? Response from friend, "I don't now why it's not seeing it."

Do people sell lame units, even someone you trusted as veteran and trustworthy? I think so.

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father just had me sell his AT Pro on ebay for him. Slightly used. He won a new one with at ms-2 headphones so he wanted to get rid of his old. Sold in a heartbeat on ebay.

He also had me buy him a Wilson C&R 4 on ebay. Seller (a pawn shop) said it had no issues and turned on and functioned fine. Upon receiving the detector it was falsing very badly and we had it shipped to keith wills for repair. The issue was a bad coil wire. The pawn shop said they just bench tested the detector and didnt move it while testing. If they had they would have noticed that the slightest movement caaused the detector to false.

Youre absolutely right, buyers discretion when it comes to buying used detectors.

Edit: come to think of it, it wasnt the wire on the C&R, it was something bad on the circuit board. Either way, it wasnt working as advertised.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as with buying a car it's buyer beware, you gotta test it before you buy it second hand, if you cant test it, don't buy it for more than it's value as a parts machine.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never bought used,but i have sold a few.
Bought a couple of new that have failed/problems.
The one`s i have sold all were taken very good care off...and worked just like out of the factory.
Did you have a bad experience buying used ?
Gary

Last edited:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Minelab E-Trac on Ebay and it works great! I've bought many things used and refurbished on Ebay and other online stores and have only had one problem with something not working. The problem was quickly resolved and I was satisfied. Maybe I was just lucky :dontknow:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, one should use caution when buying used anything.
I would think a very low proportion of used units sold are because they are defective.
Far more get sold because they are sitting in a closet collecting dust, owner passed away/lost interest or owner upgraded machines and has no use for it.

Of course, this is something there will never be stats for, thats my impression from selling and buying used over the years.
I have sold at least 5 used detectors that I bought new [Quatro, Ace 250, F-75, Tesero, Deus XP], none of them were defective. In fact, most were nearly factory new with very little use.
So yeah, use caution but I see no reason to become jaded like you seem to be, unless you have had successive bad experiences buying used detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought at least a dozen detectors used, never bought one that was bad or not working as it should.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem buying a used machine here on Treasurenet - or selling one for that matter. For me, it comes down to reputation. Long time members cherish their rep here on the forum (I know I do), and would never risk it over a bad machine. I ALWAYS leave feedback after buying or selling a machine. One NEW member even sent me a machine so I could test it BEFORE sending him payment!

Trust, but with due diligence :skullflag:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought most of my detectors used and have never had an issue. I have bought them via ebay and craigslist. I prefer craigslist since you can meet the seller, hold and test the item before you hand over the cash. I am always looking for great deals. I have bought many for 50 cents on the dollar and some at greater discounts. Just know that a factory warranties are designed to cover manufacturing defects. There are many people who bought detectors and came to realize that you are digging more trash than treasure and give up then sell their detectors on the cheap.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
This summer I bought two used Makro Racer 2 from ebay and returned both for refunds. One the battery compartment wobbled. I contacted the seller nd he said, "they all wobble.” I don’ think so. The second one was described as being very, very clean. The screen was scoffed up. Seller offered to have it repaired at his cost. Sent that one back too. After that I gave up on it. To bad because I really liked it. I just find the price for a new one a bit steep. So I have resigned my self to hold off until the equinox comes out and see what the user reports are. . That one I would buy new. Otherwise I have several other detectors bought used that worked out very well. I generally like to buy used in like new condition.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the market for shady detector dealers is pretty slim at best. I'd venture to say that 98 out of 100 detectors are sold because they are gathering dust or the previous owner upgraded. I've never had an issue with a used detector except for the wall hanger Heathkit that I didn't expect to work anyway.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought 5 used detectors, One from a charter member here (Fisher F75 85th anni) came exactly as described and working perfectly 2,3 and 4 bought off craigslist locally (Minelab excal II, Fisher f2 and Whites beach hunter id 300) obviously these i got to hold and test first and were great deals. The last wasn't as great of an experience I bought a Garrett Seahunter mkII of ebay from a very highly rated seller it arrived with a cracked coil and circuit board which may have happened in shipping. Used i have no problem with sight unseen though i'm a little skeptical.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had an issue selling, trading, or buying on any of the MD forums. If you are that unsure when looking at dealing with someone, just ask or look for their feedback. Guy/gals that wheel-n-deal on a regular basis are who I look for first to see what they are selling/trading. These same members on any of the the forums like to keep an A+ rating. I have traded detectors straight up before. If it is a fairly new member or one that can't provide feedback, I request that they send their detector first, if not, no problem; NO DEAL! It really comes down to common sense. Unfortunately though, with some people, common sense isn't so common. If you can take time to research that next honey hole, do the same if you are about to buy/trade with someone that you aren't sure of.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've sold many of my machines and never got a complaint. I have only bought one used machine that had a problem. It was designed for underwater use and it leaked. Could not check that pary out at the garage sale. Just needed some new o-rings.

Personally I have no problem buying used. But I would not trust the expertise of a pawn shop.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a problem buying used. I prefer buying used from a dealer and machines from northern states where there are actually seasons (no/little detecting during winter/freezing weather= lower milage machines)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used isn't for me; that just me and my situation. Everyone is different.

That said, I did buy my CTX used. But I hunted with the guy who bought it a week prior and knew how well taken care of it was. + he hadn't even sent in the warranty card yet. I didn't even want it at the time, but I couldn't let such a good deal pass me by.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought several detectors and one on t-net too. Never a problem, most look like they were never used but a couple times. My biggest fear in buying a used machine is if it was stolen, with minelab they make it easy to know if it's stolen or a fake,(knock-off) machine. :occasion14:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a big fan of used machines. Like Loco says, many people get frustrated with the learning curve and digging all the junk and sell low hours machines at great discounts. All four of my modern machines were used when I got them and all work very well.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My track record isn't that great. The first used detector I bought from e-bay turned out good but the second was not good at all.
A friend wanted me to find him a good machine and had a $500 budget. I ended up winning a used sovereign elite for around $600 from a guy down south, many years ago.
It appeared to work when I received it (had red clay on the coil) and my buddy bought it.
On his first trip out, the entire control housing fell to pieces! My friend just said it fell apart out of the blue as he did not bang on anything.
Took a look and yes, it was doctored up cosmetically and there was no way to repair it other than getting a new housing.

A guy on the Canadian forum sold me a "mint" 1266X that arrived with some ridiculous alteration on the shaft that left it weak and loose (not the original locking shaft) and it was soo short, that someone only 4 apples tall could swing it. Dude tried to tell me that I know nothing about how the original shaft came and gave me the run-around.
Whatever you donkey, I've owned 4 of them since the 1990's! Luckily, a buddy (who is much shorter) wanted it and I sold it to him.
I've bought several used detectors locally and all them worked great.

Jollygreen

Greenie
Oct 11, 2017
Hoodriver oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, ATX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 rule. "If it sounds to good to be true if probably isn't" Do your self a favor keep saving and buy a new detector.

JG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread