Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife and I were driving around in a management area not far from our home. This place is very hilly and most of it is a grown up mess with big sections clear cut for timber. We were coming down this really rough logging road in between to larger ridges when both of us noticed buzzards and crows off to the right in this drainage area. The way that these birds were centered in a rather small area, I figured that something was still alive or something was eating on it and keeping these birds at bay. This drainage was what I would call a wet weather branch, only running after rains. My wife who has been learning a lot about the outdoors wanted to go see what it was. I pulled over and warned her that we had to be slow and make sure that there wasn't a mountain lion or a bear on a deer kill. Now we could see fairly well back in the area and I couldn't see anything large and was beginning to wonder what they were so excited about. Then we saw the small hawk struggling to take off but something obviously had a hold on it. My wife got really excited, she had never been this close to a live hawk and she asked what was I going to do. Well, turn it loose as soon as I figured out what exactly was the problem. Then it became clear or mostly clear, the little hawk had caught and killed a smaller bird, a female Bluebird. Then somehow in the process of the kill, one foot had gone between two saw briers and then the bird had flipped over twisting the briers and it was snagged with it's meal at it's feet. I could tell that the bird was really stressed as it tried even more so to get away. Then I had a Duh moment and reached down to simply turn it over, yep, the little claws and the beak are both very sharp. So, had the wife go get the thick leather gloves out of the truck. I was amazed at how quick it had got me and now had a deeper respect for it's weapons. With the gloves on, I grasped the desperate bird and simply turned it over and under, freeing the foot. Then I opened my hand and the bird just lay there for a moment and then it realized that it was free and shot up and away from us to a tree about forty yards away. The Bluebird was still lying there and even though the hawk had no desire to eat this one, I know that it would be eaten by something before the night would be over. This small hawk was a beautiful male with very red eyes. We completely forgot about taking pics until it took off, guess we were caught up in the moment. I have been sitting on the ground hunting and had hawks either catch a bird very close to me or were plucking their catch in a tree above me. It is really awesome to suddenly realize that feathers were floating down from above as one plucked its prey clean. I have always thought that our various hawks and owls are beautiful birds and important in nature. Just had to share it, don't get to do this very often. DL

Attachments

• sharp-shinned-hawk-596863834-58a6d99e3df78c345b5e49a5.jpg
    sharp-shinned-hawk-596863834-58a6d99e3df78c345b5e49a5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a fan of hawks, but it's pretty cool that you saved it from an agonizing death.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Save on the little hawk. Sorry the prey had to be a Bluebird, but the little hawk was only doing his survival thing. We have 32 bluebird boxes on the property. Only one got used by Bluebirds, but the pair fledged two broods. The rest of the boxes are used by tree swallows.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beauty of nature, well done on the rescue. I tip my hat to you and your wife on giving the hawk its life back.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this should get honorable mention ( now if I just knew how to do that)

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Save, I live on a Mountain and have hawks of many kinds day N Night and we have Blue Birds nesting around the house, Brown bats are making a come back too, not to mention Quail and Chuckars, I could never live in a city.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a fan of hawks, but it's pretty cool that you saved it from an agonizing death.

Awwww.
You got to love Raptors ,their just doin what they do.
I know you understand.
God Bless

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job DL .
Don't know if I would have been prepared to do that job usually but always try to carry a bit of everything 'Gloves, wire cutters, first aide , Water , etc.

Or have the courage to approach a 'stressed' Raptor.
Good Deal.
Davers

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As someone who raises livestock birds, and feeds wild birds, It's a love/hate thing I have for hawks and owls.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done my friend. These are my favorite stories. I’m the guy who stops and carries turtles across the road. It’s always heart warming to hear that somebody takes the time to help an animal/human is distress. Incredibly we are in the minority

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful photo and story...Great save...'Paying Forward" always feels so great! :occasion14: :occasion14:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job, dirtlooter! Good karma headed your way for that one!
HH
dts

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You beat the coyotes Dirtlooter!

I don't particularly care for coyotes.
Coyotes would be just one of the potential problems, bobcats, grey fox, red fox, raccoons, possums, mink, other birds, all would easily take advantage of a free meal. The buzzards and crows were just waiting for it to get too tired to hurt them. I have seen red tail hawks nail a rabbit out in a recently planted field, very cool. Also seen them nail squirrels and snakes. Watched an eagle two years ago snatch up a coot that couldn't get air born fast enough at Lake Ouachita. Also lost chickens to them as well. It amazes me to see how there are raptors at every size from tiny to golden eagles, each for a different niche. One time, years ago, could see a big flock of turkeys scattering from a distance. wasn't sure why they were doing this until I saw the golden eagle come in again, very cool too.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful birds, very rare to see one close up, and to save one is a very special thing. I saw a bald eagle flying above me while metal detecting last weekend, in New Hampshire! You did a great thing, karma will come back to you soon.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Predator or prey, I would have done the same as you mate. Or at least attempted to. I figure in God's intricate design and purpose for all creatures I'd spare the raptor to continue serving his purpose. I don't particularly care for tick or mosquitoes but, I have to believe they are here for a reason?!?:dontknow::tongue3: Well done on you and the beloved giving nature a hand.:icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Great Karma!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread