mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of Buffalo nickels heard about white vinegar and peroxide mix it together put your nickels in and let them soak every now and then use a paint brush and wipe them off. Mixture will turn green. I started with 24 nickels in mix and so far 10 has come up with dates. I have gotten 4 for my daughter book that she needed. This is a fun project for us to do. Hope some of the other will show a date later on. Has any one else done this.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theres a commercial product called Nic-a-date or something like that that does the same thing. I believe the commercial product uses a dilute nitric acid, so your way sounds a LOT better to me. Some folks will gasp and tell you that you shouldn't do that to coins, but if theyre slicks anyway, I say Why Not?
Great that you were able to get some missing dates too! :icon_thumright:

(note that the dates may fade with time and wont come back as well as the first time you treated them)

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I heard of Nick a date but I want that to be my last step as when u use that u can tell right where it has been and this way the whole coin

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i have and now i have a 1914 d and a 1913 d t2 and my brother has a 1921 s

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the informative post. :occasion14:

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sitting here trying to get some more dates on my Buffalo nickels. So far I got a 1915 and a 1916 also got a 1917 but already had one of those in my daughter book. trying with 29 dateless and only got 3 dates to come up not very good odds

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a bunch of Buffalo nickels heard about white vinegar and peroxide mix it together put your nickels in and let them soak every now and then use a paint brush and wipe them off. Mixture will turn green. I started with 24 nickels in mix and so far 10 has come up with dates. I have gotten 4 for my daughter book that she needed. This is a fun project for us to do. Hope some of the other will show a date later on. Has any one else done this.

Thanks for this tip. What's the ratio? Is it 50/50? My husband has a buffalo nickel that we can't read the date. He may want to try this.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes 50/50