Fire Opal

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
Just met with my friend to see where he found some opal a couple years back. He told me about it last year and wasn't interested in pursuing it further, so I went out looking for some. I found some tiny pieces but nothing workable. I wasn't too sure I was in the right area...its a big desert out there!

He was telling me tonight that when he came across it, he broke off the chunk at ground level and brought it to jeweler and they wanted to know where he found it and called people from the back to look at it. Once he spoke to BLM and they said that he couldn't take it, he gave it away for fear of getting in trouble. I have been researching claims and told him that since he told me the area and if he was interested we can file for a claim. He said he would take me out there next week and show me where he was finding it. I plan on marking the gps if we find any on the area we want to file a claim on.

I am pretty excited to see how it goes. I will post pics if we find any to show you guys. Also there are some placer claims for gold not far from where we are (a few miles). It could turn out to be a fun spring/summer looking for fire opal and panning for some gold. I will keep you posted on progress. It may or may not pan out but will be fun searching!

Cheers!

Mike

OP
OP
O

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm staying hopeful but ill just have to wait and see once I get out there. Hopefully we don't get snow covered. I will let you know :)

OP
OP
O

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to have to wait for better weather. We got out there and there was snow on the ground so ruined our hunt for it. I will keep you posted on things.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds awsome good luck !! Show us a pic when you can.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id love to see it!! As for the BLM, they are the biggest thieves out there! Last time I checked, OUR tax dollars pay for the BLM, therefore anything on BLM land belongs to the tax payers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That argument only work if all taxpayers get to share equally.

Where's mine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread