Identity Theft Punch in the Gut!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks. Ya'll hear about identity theft on TV and radio commercials but, never think it will happen to you, right? Well, it has happened to me and I am busy trying to cut off all the new accounts opened up fraudulently in my name with my SS#. I'll be busy with my bank and filing a police report tomorrow. I just downloaded my Credit Report tonight and it looks like about 8 new accounts have been opened. My manager received a call from a car salesman at my workplace. I thought it was a fluke or scam so I paid no attention to it. A few days passed and this same car salesman sent me a message through Face Book so I called him. A con man posing as me with my SS# wanted to apply for a loan to purchase a $100,000.00 car! LOL! Yeah, sounds like me for sure. The car people sensed something not right about the guy and began trying to notify me. Wish I had acted sooner as I may have stopped some of this nonsense from happening. Anyhow I will be busy contacting folks and trying to put a stop to this low life network of slithering snakes.

So if you think it can't or won't happen to you think again. Use extreme measures to protect your personal information. I have no idea who this person or persons are. I am a recluse and no one hardly ever comes to my home. I don't loan my credit cards to friends or family. LOL! Nope, not sure how they got my information. Hopefully I am covered and will not be liable for any of the transactions which may have occurred or are still happening. It may put a dent into my credit rating which is very high as of right now. So be careful and don't take for granted your identity. With all this technology I think we can become a bit complacent that we are all protected somehow. Thanks for hearing me out. I'll keep ya'll posted and hopefully will still have time to slip a few more hunts in before the ground freezes over. Kurios1:BangHead:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sucks !!! Good luck. If you find out who it is please refrain from jamming that new shovel of yours up there ---. It would be difficult to keep myself from committing a felony if I ever caught them !! Ive been hacked a few times but never that bad. Sorry kevin !!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a pain in the butt. You’ll be coved but you credit score might suffer I hope not. I’m a recluse too but they have a lot of stuff happening in the evil outside world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at a bank. It is so bad I put a freeze on MY social security number a few ago with all 3 credit bureaus. If you don't do it, it will take almost forever to undo the damage that can be done.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work at a bank. It is so bad I put a freeze on MY social security number a few ago with all 3 credit bureaus. If you don't do it, it will take almost forever to undo the damage that can be done.

Yeah I’m a L.O. and I’ve seen good people’s credit go from a bullet to a bog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shortage of bozos out there, sorry you have to go through this nightmare! Too bad they didn't have the crook show up to get the car.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really hope this all gets solved soon. Sorry that you were targeted.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has been stolen no less than 5 times
first - they bought a house and new car in my name
second - over $5000 in ocean kayak equipment
others have been credit cards - luckily since my cards are platinums - card companies
have taken care of them -so far
since you cant change your social # - once they get it - youre pretty much screwed
the ones that get stopped - blocked or caught - will just trade it or sell it to some one else down the road
so I'm sure I aint seen the end of it
hope all works out for you

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-...I thought it was going to kill my credit rating - but hasn't so far - if it did - I got it back up cause mine is 785

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh I feel for your hurting mess dealing with this nightmare. Had it happen 4+ yrs ago. a person gleamed information from 5-6yrs prior off a detecting forum. With that information they had hacked originally into the Bell Sympatico email server. (no public messages about been hacked until the IT Dept was asked) The person(s) tried to take out 35K from our main bank (accounts manager knew us too well so the red flags were flying) in 20 minutes of them calling we had every account manager at any institution notified this happened. They tried at three different banks, all smaller amounts, and their IP address was pinned as being a few hundred miles away in the same province.
Protecting ourselves from the damage:

#1 Banking information shared over an email server-never a complete number only a 3-4 digit reference.
#2 Complete computer-email-server provider change
#3 Complete deletion of a detecting forum postings ( this one hurt as it was a history digital recording of hunts and finds covering 5-6yrs)
#4 Nothing is to be trusted ever again (meaning the electronic/computers)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
technically I don't exist in that world with what the patriot act did. I have had a PO box with no physical address my whole life, no loans, no credit cards, no bills in my name. Now I cant even open a bank account with out changing everything. I guess Thats kind of its own protection in its self.:laughing7: No one can even try and steal my identity.... Maybe I'll be a real person one day.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have done that recently except for Equifax. Since they have offered to do it for free because they lost everyone's data and then tried to hide the fact, they have boogered up their website and wont take phone calls to let you do it. FN crooks. I'd be glad to pay just to cover all my bases, but..................better stop now before I get banned.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
technically I don't exist in that world with what the patriot act did. I have had a PO box with no physical address my whole life, no loans, no credit cards, no bills in my name. Now I cant even open a bank account with out changing everything. I guess Thats kind of its own protection in its self.:laughing7: No one can even try and steal my identity.... Maybe I'll be a real person one day.

I'm worried about you. You're leaving an electronic trail here.............

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i knew this tech would go dark on us it is only a matter of time before a world wide black out

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i knew this tech would go dark on us it is only a matter of time before a world wide black out

So have you gotten your solar charger In Hand so you can keep those detector batteries topped off?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that, just two days ago some scumbag stole my credit card number somehow and ordered a bunch of cosmetic crap from a retailer in San Francisco. Totally sounds like me...

Caught it quick and the charges were reversed. I am still without a card for 5-7 business days though as they shut the old one off and are sending a new one out. :BangHead: :censored:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I listen to dave ramsey and now I have ID theft insurance. If something happens THEY will fix it

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that, just two days ago some scumbag stole my credit card number somehow and ordered a bunch of cosmetic crap from a retailer in San Francisco. Totally sounds like me...

Caught it quick and the charges were reversed. I am still without a card for 5-7 business days though as they shut the old one off and are sending a new one out. :BangHead: :censored:

I had my debit card hacked as well a few months back. This new technology is a pain in the arse! Give us our gold & silver back!:protest::BangHead::angry9::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread