Railroad Tokens???

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I found these tokens at an old homesite. They were all placed together, obviously buried. I took them to a local antique dealer and he said he thought they were railroad pay tokens to be used at railroad stores. They do not have any other markings other than the cent value. This value is on both sides. They are copper so I don't think they are play money. Does anybody have any ideas on what they are and if they are worth more than face value?

Attachments

• Tokens.jpg
    Tokens.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 475

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250

Attachments

• Fruit Grower Express Token.jpg
    Fruit Grower Express Token.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Fruit Grower Express Token 2.jpg
    Fruit Grower Express Token 2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 362

Brice47933

May 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am from indiana and I just dug up one of the 50c coins in my backyard. Did you ever find out what it was? Feel free to email me [email protected]

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
These (I call them "generic") trade tokens were sometimes used by general stores that chose not to have customized tokens made with their name and location. The benefit was that they were cheap for the merchant to buy, but the downside was that they could not tell whether the token came from them or from the store down the road. They were probably used ca. 1915-1930 give or take, found all over the country, and were in denominations from 5¢ to $1.

John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread