Making pinpointers and diggers hard to lose.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my pin pointer twice and my little shovel once. Found them again but took a lot of looking. I got the idea of wrapping the handle with bright orange tape. It really works. If you drop one of them, they are really easy
to see, even from a long way away unless they are in the leaves or woods.
Try it, it works.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I do that with any of my tools that I use out in the woods. It's amazing how unmarked pieces can "disappear" when they're laying right in front of you!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BRIGHT orange is a treasure hunters friend also paint all the tools i use getting firewood ..bright blue is good in the woods to as the color blue is not a natural color in the forest except on a turkeys beard ....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great idea on wrapping it with a bright tape. I'm thinking that's why they made the Garrett carrot an orange colour, sure beats the black coloured one for finding it again if dropped or left behind at a hole.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I do that with any of my tools that I use out in the woods. It's amazing how unmarked pieces can "disappear" when they're laying right in front of you!

It’s also amazing how a rifle or shotgun can disappear when leaned against a tree or laid on the ground. Ask me, I know!
HH
dts

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a retractable belt mounted keychain device, like school janitors use, to hold the pinpointer. It's been working out great for me so far. (I also hot-glued a strong neodymium magnet to the battery cap to speed up iron removal, also a plus.) My tools are bright yellow or orange, and those that aren't get a shot of flourescent yellow DipIt spray from a rattle can. Hard to not spot my stuff if I get distracted.

What I can't figure is why so much camping/survival gear is in camo. Seems manufacturers are counting on repeat sales due to loss...!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reflective tape works well also. Especially if it's getting dark or in low light conditions. Just whip out a flashlight and your equipment will practically scream out at you, "Here I am!"

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a janitors key reel for my pin pointer. So its tethered to me with about 3 feet of extension for use. The best decision I've ever made. losing my shovel happens though, but I always find it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So far I have resisted taping tools to my hands. Not for lack of incentive though.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, I lost my black pro pointer in the woods back in 2014. It took me 45 minutes to find it. So I went to the hardware store on the way home and bought a roll of fluorescent pink Duct Tape and keep a strip on it. My newer Garrett carrot is orange which is a plus and it also beeps if left on for an extended amount of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread