pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally give this awesome piece of history a home. It is a gold pocket watch back and I have been doing research and holding it for 1.5 years. It belonged to a couple that were early settlers to my area. The husband immigrated to Utah in 1866 as an 11yo boy and his wife was born here in 1855.

The watch back is heavily engraved but it looks like it was cut by a mower after it was lost. I was able to research and tie this to the couple through genealogy records.

I want to tell people that if they find things that are of interest to local museums that they should consider donations. It is a great way to give back. My opinion is that many things we find were never ours to begin with, but entrusted to our care. They benefit the community more than our collections. Even when something doesn't look like it has much monetary value it could greatly enhance a museum collection.

The museum directors were very grateful to receive this item, and seemed to have a great idea of how they wanted to display it.

Happy Hunting all!!

23550862_10155834513996797_5341020279273782022_o.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, now all the locals can enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Im hoping for an update from you, with pictures of course, once they put it on display.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to hear that it'll have a home to where others will enjoy the history.
Wonder where there other half of the case is?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second all of the above. Keep lookin for the other half, which would be cooler than anything if you find it.

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second all of the above. Keep lookin for the other half, which would be cooler than anything if you find it.

Great to hear that it'll have a home to where others will enjoy the history.
Wonder where there other half of the case is?

This was found during a park renovation. The sod was all off the park which allowed those of us determined enough to dig all signals.

Believe me when I say a thorough search of the area was made. This was folded in half at least twice, so I imagine that the other part was likely chewed up pretty damn small. Others who learned what I found hunted the heck out of it too. The park project is all done and not likely that anymore will surface any time soon.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This was found during a park renovation. The sod was all off the park which allowed those of us determined enough to dig all signals.

Believe me when I say a thorough search of the area was made. This was folded in half at least twice, so I imagine that the other part was likely chewed up pretty damn small. Others who learned what I found hunted the heck out of it too. The park project is all done and not likely that anymore will surface any time soon.

As I'm reading this, the thought came to me that maybe the other half had already been found prior to you. Hopefully something will happen to reunite the pieces in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions