LITERALLY... Burned $5000.00+ in cash (99% sure)

Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
From the story, people typically look down when looking for lost items, if the kitchen was the last place it was sceen, Kitchen Cabinet top shelf.

Last edited:

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool, I am sure it will pop up and it will when you need it the most. That how the crazy world works!!
If I lost it I would never find it even if it was under my coil with a handful of old coins in it..
I have faith you will find it when you need it!
Good luck!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another thought, usually before going to bed a person goes to the bathroom and brushes their teeth. Could it be possible that your wife put the envelpe-s somewhere in the bathroom closet (medicine cabinet), or the towel drawer?

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take my father shopping, and he would go to the bank first, and take out 5K. then we would go spend about 200 at the store. We would come back home, and he would put the money that was left, in the newspapers, next to his best TV chair. In the morning I would get up and make the fire, with those same newspapers! I never found any money in the papers, but only later, found out where his hiding place was.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this is NOT an update... Still looking, thinking and dreaming of a 5 grand find. Every time I burn the trash I look around some more. I bet I'm the only member on this site that burned $5,000 bucks!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure hope it turns up!!

Last edited:

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the box of mailing envelopes? She divided it among two envelopes, and you've mentioned bills going out. It's possible the envelopes got put back into the envelope box, or with your mailing supplies?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about the box of mailing envelopes? She divided it among two envelopes, and you've mentioned bills going out. It's possible the envelopes got put back into the envelope box, or with your mailing supplies?

Been there.. done that also! Next...?

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
up in the attic/ceiling tiles even under carpets, years ago we were doing a remodel jobs and pulling paneling from the walls and out came around 2500 dollars...the owner said her dad must have hid it there and he passed away how he got the paneling loose and back in there every
time he put money in there I don't know but she had extra money for the remodel job...I even heard of one guy that would put money in the freezer .frozen in a block of ice hope you find it ...I know the feeling of loosing money

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there.. done that also! Next...?

I'd first review " the" purse".
Check for a separated lining perhaps mistaken for a pocket ,or envelops rolled under it.

Not knowing her bill paying method ,it would still be next.
I write on the bill the date of payment,amount ,and method. Then the bill ( minus coupon that gets mailed) gets put back in envelope received in then put on a pile that gets stored once a year for records. That pile would be where stray ,or misguided envelopes would end up.

If for some reason the closet purse location was not desired to be reached that night, from where she was counting and doing other things ....where would a temporary stash be made? Under the mattress ? In a drawer? An overfilled drawer can have items dragged off the top and they end up behind or along side, or below the drawer.

Between mattress and head board is just one pinch point that can grasp envelopes if they were left on the bed. Perhaps to eventually get knocked on the floor under when making the bed, I have no idea whatsoever how a paycheck of mine ended up under the bed.
I had reasoned( justified?) how the missing funds had been spent knowing I was short , so finding it was interesting.......

Lastly ,without knowing if depositing it was on her mind ,could it have been placed for either of you to take it to the bank the next day ,or soon? Where would she put it then? Your coat pocket ,on top of the fridge , some other relay spot where things go when leaving is planned?

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a story for you... when I was a young teen I had a pistol. It wasn't real, but it was a very nice metal replica of a .45. I always kept it hidden away. I had a few good friends that knew about it and were over often. One day I went to get the pistol from my hiding place and it was gone. I accused my friends... I beat up a couple of them just in case.

Then a few weeks later it turned up... when I was changing my bed sheets. I had forgotten I had changed my hiding spot.

I felt terrible about it, and I learned two valuable lessons.

1) Don't get paranoid and start making accusations you will regret
2) If you saw it last then it was probably YOU who lost it.

She may remember in a few weeks... but if it was in an envelope she may have placed it somewhere ELSE intending to take it to the bank.

Car? Pockets? Coat?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a story for you... when I was a young teen I had a pistol. It wasn't real, but it was a very nice metal replica of a .45. I always kept it hidden away. I had a few good friends that knew about it and were over often. One day I went to get the pistol from my hiding place and it was gone. I accused my friends... I beat up a couple of them just in case.

Then a few weeks later it turned up... when I was changing my bed sheets. I had forgotten I had changed my hiding spot.

I felt terrible about it, and I learned two valuable lessons.

1) Don't get paranoid and start making accusations you will regret
2) If you saw it last then it was probably YOU who lost it.

She may remember in a few weeks... but if it was in an envelope she may have placed it somewhere ELSE intending to take it to the bank.

Car? Pockets? Coat?

While all good "ideas" been there and done that. REMEMBER: My wife is crippled and does NOT bent down nor climb at ALL. She can't "hide" things now in places that normal folks can or might do. 90% of her life now it revolves around the dining room table, the bedroom and her bathroom. IF and WHEN I actually find out what happened I will tell all. This is outside of those who can HERE ME screaming at the time.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
still dont think you burned, seems you would have noticed
when you stirred it up or shoved poured in

under mattress, grand kids banks, paper pile in bedroom

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember my grandma having a knitting bag next to her chair, when all us kids were there she would reach in and take out some money for us kids to go to the 5 & dime store for candy. When my grandfather was not well and the family was make preparations, my mom asked gramps "is there anything we should know" he just smiled and said " dont throw out my luggage" they found about 3k in cash in-between the liners. My aunt put it into the bank account and turns out one of the $50's was counterfeit, which led to a whole new issue.. i would check any magazine racks around your furniture, cushions, inside the arm rest. i hope it works out man!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, what all was sitting on the table or near it when she was in the kitchen with the money. It may have been put in something that has since been moved to a differt room. Bag, box, clothes hamper, etc.
....i once layed my car keys on the shelf in the fridge while getting a soda, then couldn't find them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my cell phone in the refrigerator more than once. I was trying to get everything out of the car at the same time, dumb move, and put it in with the groceries. Now the fridge is my "go to" place after checking the car charger.

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my grandfathers was known to hide things in creative places. He would bore holes into the tops of doors, roll up his money and hide it. He sometimes built false bottoms into end tables.

One time he hid a wad of cash in the oven, which turned out to be a bad idea when my grandmother decided to bake a cake.

When he passed away, we scoured the house looking for hiding places. We found several, but all were empty.

While he was alive, he showed my aunt (his daughter) a 2 inch diameter length of galvanized pipe with caps securely tightened on the ends. I remember the pipe. It always sat in plain sight on his workbench. He told my aunt that when he passed away, that pipe was hers. She thought it was funny, but when he passed my aunt and grandmother took a closer look at the pipe. They stuck it in a vice and removed one of the caps. A large roll of cash came out, which my grandmother confiscated.

My other grandfather used to bury things in the back yard of his 2.5 acre property. I was staying there during a summer when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember my grandfather going into the yard with a shovel and a glass jar loaded with silver dollars. He dug a hole at the end of a flower bed and buried the jar. When I asked him why he was doing that, he replied, "To watch my money grow." Years after both he and my grandmother had passed away, and the property had been sold, I remembered that incident. My brother, sister and I drove to the property. I was going to ask the current owner if we could look for the jar and I was willing to split the contents with the owner if we found it. But when we got there we found the house was gone and a townhouse complex had been built on the property. The spot where he buried the silver dollars was likely now under a city street. I often wondered if the money was found when the street was dug.

My wife's favorite hiding places are in her car, on the top shelf of closets, and tucked into couches. I doubt if she would have left it on a stack of newspapers destined for burning, but anything is possible with dementia. I know a lot of people who hide cash inside the pages of books. I suspect you will find it if you continue looking. Be sure to share the location with us if you find it.

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 more vote for better than 50% chance the money is hidden somewhere. Most likely in a spot you've already looked. Heck, I just turned 40, I'm relatively healthy, and I've hidden things from myself. :) I think the best thing you can do is (try to) forget about it. If you can't forget it and want to do more, I'd have her do her normal routine (time, food, meds). If you aren't normally around, leave. Have her set down in her normal spot with a similar envelope, and write down the places she would consider hiding it. Have her walk to them. See if any new hiding spots come to mind. Write them down. See if it sparks any thoughts or memories. You might even have her repeat this process to try and replicate her 'frame of mind' the day she lost it. Afterwards, you should personally check every spot she writes down...again. If nothing, I'd just move on. It will probably show up when you least expect it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread