LITERALLY... Burned $5000.00+ in cash (99% sure)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the sad but true story that happened last month. My wife had been squirreling away some money for 3 years now. I knew about it all along. Every time she got another hundred put back she'd convert it to a hundred dollar bill. This went on and on for about 3 years. When she said she had $3500.00 I told her to go put it in the bank in another account separate from our "running" account. "Yep... that's a good idea" she said (DUH!). She didn't do it and continued her rountine. So I asked her last month how much she had put back now and she really didn't know. But she did say she should get it out of here like I wished. (Again.. DUD!)

A little background now: My wife has ALWAYS been very good with our money. I haven't got one thing to state badly about her and our money. But the last few years she's been going downhill badly from health problems. Hip replacement, total back fusion and 2 neck fusions. She's been on strong pain meds now for a long time and I now believe it's effecting her mentally and she agrees. Her memory has really suffered as of late now also.

I feel asleep on my couch one night last month watching TV. When I woke up the next morning my wife Bonnie was sitting at the table crying. So I got a cup of coffee and inquired. She asked me if I had taken her money and not said anything? I said "No, I wouldn't do that". Bad answer... as she really broke down then. She said she thought I had taken it and put in the bank to teach her a "lesson". She said for 2 days now after she counted it she's looked everywhere and can't find it. She was keeping it in an empty purse in her closet long with 6 other ones.

She stated she had gotten the money out to count after I went to sleep. She stated she had 50 $100.00 dollar bills and 3 twenty's. And... she said she's sure she put it back in the same purse as always when she went to bed. But it's gone now and I MEAN GONE! She had it all in a single bank envelope which would be thick with the cash. We literally emptied the closet. We went through EVERYTHING meaning clothing, books, purses, files and all shoes... nothing. Next we tore the bedroom up... nothing. Then we tore up the dining room... nothing. I had 22 bags of non-burnable trash piled in the pickup to make a dump run. I went back through every bag... nothing.

Here's some facts: She nor I ever left the house during this time frame. I just worked in the wood shop @ times. Nobody was here during the 2 days either. I just can't figure it out but here's what I do know is a fact. She'll check our paper mail, read a paper and stack all burnable trash at the end of the table. Then she'll pick it all up when the pile is getting big and throw it in the burn trash. THEN I'LL BURN THE TRASH! I tore the trash pit up looking for evidence and found none.

But here's a question I asked her and she doesn't remember: I asked her... "Bonnie, if you put it up after counting it before you went to bed how did you know it was missing the next day?" This was last month and the last couple of weeks I've noticed her decline even more. Anybody have a crystal ball... There's a reward!

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check obvious hiding places like in pillowslips and under the mattress , under lounge cushions etc

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SHE CHANGED HER HIDING PLACE.

I agree. Have done the same thing myself and sometimes take months to run across it again (apparently I am very good at hiding things). I doubt you burned it. A wad like that wouldn't be totally consumed unless you had a very hot long fire. There would be traces. Good Luck on what should prove to be a Great Treasure Hunt!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From on, you handle all the money and place it in banks accounts. Good luck in finding the money.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
sorry to hear this ,i hope you find it soon.
brad

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all I hope her name really is Bonnie

my wife is always claiming she lost something or other. I always tell her it will show up and almost everytime it does
the money will turn up and she'll go "oh yeah"

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you find it and she's ok. If it makes you feel better I bought a $5 US gold coin, already slabbed about 3 months ago. Carpet guys came in to install carpeting. I deliberately put it away out of the room and literally squirreled it away. It's still here, but I don't know where I put it! It will show up at the dumbest time. I doubt you burned it.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah man, I hope your situation turns up a happy ending for all.

And as others have stated, I do too. I'll take something and put it in a good safe place then forget where i put it because I didn't put it back where it normally goes. But, yes, eventually it shows up.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look in the freezer. Check weird places. As my wife's dementia slowly got worse, she would accuse me of stealing her money. Then the next thing she would hide her purse, so I couldn't steal her money. Of course she couldn't remember where she put it, and sometimes it was really hard to find. Usually in a really dumb place. Under a couch or chair, behind a dresser. Under the sink, bathroom or kitchen, just to name a couple of places. Good luck.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well folks you've all pretty well stated most of the things I've already thought of thus far. Yes I take care of the money now. And I truly hope she just changed hiding places but we both seriously doubt this now. I thought the same thing about their "had" to be some remnants of a thick wad of cash as this. It isn't much of a fire when I do it. Just a plastic bag with burnable paper and such. But I looked very closely and couldn't find a thing. And we have checked under, over, in and on top of everything her "small" world would be between 9:00 pm & midnight. We even went through the linen closet and checked "everywhere". Now obviously if I didn't burn it... I haven't looked everywhere. I brought it up tonight again over supper and it still upsets her badly.

Now I got $4800 squirreled away from my toy box sales the past few months and am thinking about "finding" the money to make her feel better. But I'm still HOPEFUL it will show up. LIKE NOW!!!!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Maybe it will turn up in the form of a nice gift for you in a month or so? If she is using it for a surprise and you "find" it she will know you think she is not all there... Tough situation but not terrible in the grand scheme.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very unfortunate. Hope it turns up.

Now I got $4800 squirreled away from my toy box sales the past few months and am thinking about "finding" the money to make her feel better.

Truly, I would not do that.

"The bitterest truth is better than the sweetest lie"

If the money does turn up she'll know you lied, know you tried to cover for her, and she'll feel twice as bad (or think you're the sweetest guy ever - you can't figure out women).

Offer to split it with her, instead. That way you both have ownership and some satisfaction.

But keep looking.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man...this is a tough situation...and that's a lot of money! Hopefully it is found when least expected, and very soon. I know I've misplaced things only to find them when I wasn't looking. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

zukgod

Nov 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I registered to reply to this thread because I have some very bad pain issues due to nerve problems, and know how badly it makes me feel when I don't pay attention to something and misplace it for a bit. I think you have the right idea by "Finding" the cash in one of her purses or shoes just so she doesn't feel so horrible. I don't know either of you obviously, but this would bother any person especially when that person is already feeling poorly health wise, not to mention feeling foolish because of the loss of a decent amount of money. I am sure she is beating herself up far worse than you can imagine, her being happy mentally is worth far more than a few thousand dollars. Feel free to private message me if you want to chat because we have such a similar situation.
If you do "find" the cash and she finds it also then simply let her know that the money wasn't worth watching her beat herself up over, I know my own wife would find that to be a very loving sweet thing to have done. I really doubt it's gone anyhow because you would have noticed it when burning it. I don't think it would have all burned up anyhow especially the way you mentioned not having a really long hot fire. Just take it one room at a time checking every spot, maybe she put it in a zip lock bag and taped it inside the toilet tank or behind it? It sucks getting older and having medical issues that mess with your quality of life. I have been dealing with my pain for 10 years now and am only 41 it took me a long time to not feel less of a person because I can't due everything I used to be able to. I am sure she deals with the same issue's, if she goes to a pain management doctor I wouldn't bring this type of thing up because they may want to lower her meds down, and then she will really suffer. The new CDC rules have already dropped most everyone down to ridiculous levels of medication that doesn't help much. If this is the case she may be having extra mental fog due to extra pain. I am just tossing everything out I can think of that might help you guys. I hope you truly do find it, and when you do it will be a bit of a bonus because you think it's gone anyhow. Like I mention you're more than welcome to PM me or email me at [email protected]. Good luck my friend, I will say a prayer for you both tonight.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked the pots and pans. Pressure cooker, hanging on the hat rack.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I loose something my wife has moved it. I sure hope you find it.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Limitool whew, good thing though you havent looked everywhere
you just think you have, gee a wood shop & sheds,3+ br 2bath
maybe 1/2 bath too,pool garage/s, maybe a car not driven for
awhile, crawlspaces, attic,christmas storage boxes, wow could
it be there, Merry Christmas
the list is endless so pick a day,search a room or area, repeat
everyday,every other day,once a wk, what ever your good with