Colorado AT Max Owner

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frustrated AT Max owner here......not sure if it’s the soil conditions, the parks I’m hunting, my inability to fine tune my machine, or what, but since using the AT Max, I’ve not located a single good (coin or jewelry) target deeper than 4 inches. I consider myself an experienced detectorist and when ground balancing my machine, I get a reading of 93, which tells me the soil is highly mineralized. Hoping I can find a fellow hobbyist who has had better luck than I go with me on a field trip and compare notes and technique. I’m also an AT Pro owner and have similar results with the AT Pro. I generally run in the pro zero mode, with sensitivity at seven or eight bars and iron discrim at 30. I know I can lose depth by running by iron disc. at 30, so I have ran it all the way to zero, with similar results. As Charlie Brown would say........aaaaargh! Curious to hear from anyone who hunts in a similar environment of 93 or so on their gb setting....

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure I can be much help, execpt to tell you how I run my AT Pro. When I ground blance always make sure there are no targets under the coil, move coil around to get reading of 3 or so, senstivity two notches from full, pump coil about 6 to times GB number is usually 81-85 trun senstivity back full. Run in pro mode, zero disc.

Good luck hope you find what the problem is have not had a depth issue with my AT.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I've learned from TheHungetGT is that the soil is terrible in some paces in CO. Detectors that can hit on coins here in Ohio at 10-12 inches easily had difficulty getting 5" inches in his test bed.

OP
OP
K

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Loco-digger......That is what I’m thinking....I keep hearing of so many success stories back east and just feel like I’m never going to be able to get. Those 10-12” targets here in Denver.

OP
OP
K

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal2K....I’ve done everything you’ve suggested....81-85 is not going to happen here in Denver....I notice you live in Alabama. Different soil conditions....thanks for the advice though....appreciate it!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure I can be much help, execpt to tell you how I run my AT Pro. When I ground blance always make sure there are no targets under the coil, move coil around to get reading of 3 or so, senstivity two notches from full, pump coil about 6 to times GB number is usually 81-85 trun senstivity back full. Run in pro mode, zero disc.

Good luck hope you find what the problem is have not had a depth issue with my AT.

I have the same GB numbers here in Louisiana with the Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Max and here in Louisiana we have high mineralization and I usually ground balance between 81 and 85. I don’t think I’ve ever ground balanced anywhere around the 90s that’s real high. I heard that the Max isn’t good and high mineralization. Now I have noticed that sometimes my target will say 4” and it’s turns out being 6” plus. Either way I hope you figure it out my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

66Seabee

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenkoehn, I hunt the parks just south of you in Colorado Springs. Been out with the AT Max about a dozen times and so far satisfied with it. I hunt in zero mode with iron disc at 35. GB seems to be around 90. Been finding lots of clad and one ring. Maybe we can meet up sometime and do some comparisons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread