• Total voters

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Yesterday was too cold, 23 degrees and 20-30 mph winds. I was out for 7 hours, but it was too cold. The wind was killer.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was younger , cold didn't bother me at all ...slowly over the years these old bones just cant handle the cold for very long...I just had to go out yesterday when it was 30 and 20-25 mile an hour wind to try out the new garret,,,didn't find much at all but i'm paying for it today so I think my vote would be 35-40 depending on the wind

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This stinks... Retire now and the cold gets to me Much more than when i had to work...must be a better word than stinks for that !

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This stinks... Retire now and the cold gets to me Much more than when i had to work...must be a better word than stinks for that !

I agree Gary. Worked construction for 30 years in all kinds of weather, Now between old age and blood thinners, I have no stomach for the cold anymore! Looking out the window , bright sunny day..........but 27 degrees and wind, I would not last long

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I said "Never!" for 2 reasons. The ground never freezes solid here, heck it's summer that turns the ground to stone. IF the ground did freeze solid here (or anywhere I lived for that matter!) I would freaking move! How do you guys handle the long cold winters up there? Oh that's right, silver litters the ground up there! Tough situation, silver fever and the cold... Brrrrrrrrr!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Officially hung it up today, was keeping my Ace in the truck but put it away for the winter.
Temps in the low 30's and dropping for the foreseeable future, too cold for me !

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been going out in this cold-er snap for short hunts. I just cut it down to when my hands have no feeling then throw in the towel.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My remaining hunt spots are such a brutal challenge to dig about anything, I simply bail out from swinging a coil when my "shiver" instantly hits after just a step outside.

It happened just today. I needed a few supplies at home, the day had maybe 1.5 hours to hunt before sundown, I got all stokes to detect and swing back by the Walmarts afterwards. Those goose bumps from the instant that I stepped out to the car told me "it just ain't worth the misery."

I am no wuss but I detect for relaxation and excitement. I can't get that here in overworked hunt spots when the chill is in the air and the day is short. Ain't worth it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those goose bumps from the instant that I stepped out to the car told me "it just ain't worth the misery."

I am no wuss but I detect for relaxation and excitement. I can't get that here in overworked hunt spots when the chill is in the air and the day is short. Ain't worth it.

Yep, target probability plays a big part of "when is it too cold". 2 years ago I was hammering a ghost town field. IHs by the dozen, silver, relics, jewelry everywhere. It was rare to find coins in the 1900s. I was out there even when it was in the 20's as long as the ground was thawed. I second guess 40's for a new ground prospecting hunt today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions