Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nails, Nails, and more nails!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm already on my way to a VLF as a companion. Where I am confused is that is the PI minelab, albeit old, is the best for gold and whatnot, if it can find small nuggets sub gram, why can't it be good for everything else? DD with discrimination running.
    GPX-4000
    Sgt. USMC 2007-2012 (Iraq-Kuwait-Afghanistan)

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    1553 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Try some non-Federal land

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8561 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuperduke View Post
    I'm already on my way to a VLF as a companion. Where I am confused is that is the PI minelab, albeit old, is the best for gold and whatnot, if it can find small nuggets sub gram, why can't it be good for everything else? DD with discrimination running.
    If I understand your question correctly, you seem to be asking why CAN'T a high-powered nugget machine be used for "everything else" ? Well, let's dissect that question:

A) IT CAN ! Yup, you will MOST CERTAINLY find any coin that is there. You will MOST CERTAINLY go deeper than any coin/relic/disc. machine on the market. You will MOST CERTAINLY be able to effortlessly cut through the nastiest mineral. Hence: What more could a guy ask for. Right ? But the devil is in the details:

B) That "discrimination" knob you might see on your nugget prospecting machine is only good for the top couple of inches of depth. Everything beyond that is going to sound the same. They are simply not the same as coin machines (standard discriminators) where you can knock out iron to the full depth of your reach.

C) If you were angling for nuggets (and not coins or whatever), then ... you just have to put up with the nails. You have not been to clear on this: Is your objective nuggets ? Or coins/relics ? If you're angling for nuggets, have you even found a single one in that sea of nails you're finding ? If not, you're simply in the wrong place to angle for nuggets, IMHO. There are tailings piles where the ratios are not that punishing.

D) If it's coins/artifacts you're after, then get a standard coin machine. Like a Racer, a CZ6, an impact, an explorer, etc... etc.... Stop trying to use nugget machines for purposes that they weren't designed for.

E) Also: If you're looking for coins/artifacts (instead of nuggets), be aware that the "work" zones of those yesteryear mining areas are NOT the places you should be hunting. Oh sure, they may *look* inviting. Because perhaps you still see old processing mill foundations, sluice metal debris lying around, tailings piles, etc... Instead, when hunting gold rush sites for coins/relics/artifacts, you need to be hunting where they LIVED and SLEPT, not where they worked. The work zones will, of course, have industrial commercial debris/hardware junk all over. Contrast to where their tent city zones were, is where they ate, drank, slept, gambled, etc... And those worker tent city zones might be a long ways off from the work zones. And since it was often-time just temporary tent cities, there may be nothing visible now to mark those sites. So the untrained eye is drawn to the landscape scars of the work zones, when in fact it's the LIVING zones you want to be working.
    1320, Stuperduke and Truth1253 like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8561 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    Try some non-Federal land
    He's ok on federal land. As long as his coins/relics are 50 yr. old or newer. So ... how good is his math ? Heck, he's looking for nuggets, meteorites, and that boyscout ring he lost there as a kid. Knowing Nevada city environs myself, me thinks he's in the middle of nowhere type environs.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Dec 13, 2017 at 09:13 AM.
    1320 likes this.

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    1553 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Uh oh....lol

"It's an old hydraulic mining site from the 1800s"

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    Yes Tom, middle of nowhere middle of woods but not stepping on anyone's toes. It also isn't Malakoff....close but a legal place to beep. I am lookin for nuggets and haven't found anything other than nails. I'm still learning how to find places to go that are legal and not someone else's ground. Excellent response to my question as well, ten points for taking the time to write a good detailed response without making a newbie feel stupid.
    Truth1253 and Tom_in_CA like this.
    GPX-4000

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    I have been shooting for the living zone for sure as well. I will say that for being what it is, there is almost no typical mining site debris. It's not like the other sites with rivet pipe and crap everywhere. It was cleaned pretty well when whoever left. The nails are really damn confusing, I literally mean that's all there is over at least 2 acres. I did find an old dump a ways down but it was much more recent than the age of the nails.
    GPX-4000

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800 Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    8705 times
    Metal Detecting

Nails, Nails, and more nails!

I would have to keep hunting it and you have a great collection of square nails! : laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stuperduke likes this.

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    Ha, thanks. It still ain't bad being out in the woods with my detector so it ain't much of a thing. Every nail is still exciting.
    GPX-4000

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    8705 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ha, thanks. It still ain't bad being out in the woods with my detector so it ain't much of a thing. Every nail is still exciting.
    Youíre a good man and donít get discouraged I have a feeling you going to make many interesting fines. I know itís hard finding places that allow you to beep and you feel comfortable doing it. You just got yourself in a lifelong addiction of swinging so enjoyed my friend. Have you found any large square nails that are in great condition those are cool?

Stuperduke likes this.

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    Oddly enough almost every one I have found has been in almost too good of condition to believe. None even have a bend to them. Some literally still have a steel shine. It's like some poor ******* had a hole in his nail bag as he went along. They are in such good shape I can pound them into the stuff I'm making just fine and easy....all 200+ of them.
    Truth1253 likes this.
    GPX-4000

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    8705 times
    Metal Detecting
    Oddly enough almost every one I have found has been in almost too good of condition to believe. None even have a bend to them. Some literally still have a steel shine. It's like some poor ******* had a hole in his nail bag as he went along. They are in such good shape I can pound them into the stuff I'm making just fine and easy....all 200+ of them.
    Damn thatís crazy. Try selling them on Ebay if someone whatís to build there house old school youíre their man.

Iíll admit after 200+ nails Iíd be going bat **** crazy myself. :laughing. Frustrating isnít it when youíre on old property and not finding the good stuff. Let us know how things are going along your journey.

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    Will do, there can only me so many....I figure after I find them all I can get to the good targets, there can only be 10k right?
    Truth1253 likes this.
    GPX-4000

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8561 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    .... I am lookin for nuggets ....
    Then forget all the advice about machines that pass nails better, or better places to look for coins/relics. Instead: You need to find better places for nuggets, that have less nails. I'm not a nugget hunter (too far from those regions of CA). But from what I know from talking to friends that have done it, is that the tailings piles they work are not that bad for nails ratios. Contrast to what you are painting, and it sounds like you are in the middle of a ghost-town or junkyard.

If you are serious about pursing nuggets/prospecting, there's some dealers in the Sac. Foothills region who are well connected with successful locals. Who may agree to take you out to show you some pointers. Or go to the Sacramento monthly club (SVDB) and you'll invariably meet up with guys who know the in's & out's of detectors for nuggets.

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    93 times
    I met with a guy that ran a shop out of his house up there. I'm thinking. I should probably join a club or try and get some pointers for the area from him. It's hard to not want to step on toes. The south Yuba is right full of claims so beeping ain't too good there but panning is still ok depending on what bend. I have found a very decent sum there but want to hear the beep.
    GPX-4000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links