Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Tom, middle of nowhere middle of woods but not stepping on anyone's toes. It also isn't Malakoff....close but a legal place to beep. I am lookin for nuggets and haven't found anything other than nails. I'm still learning how to find places to go that are legal and not someone else's ground. Excellent response to my question as well, ten points for taking the time to write a good detailed response without making a newbie feel stupid.

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been shooting for the living zone for sure as well. I will say that for being what it is, there is almost no typical mining site debris. It's not like the other sites with rivet pipe and crap everywhere. It was cleaned pretty well when whoever left. The nails are really damn confusing, I literally mean that's all there is over at least 2 acres. I did find an old dump a ways down but it was much more recent than the age of the nails.

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, thanks. It still ain't bad being out in the woods with my detector so it ain't much of a thing. Every nail is still exciting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha, thanks. It still ain't bad being out in the woods with my detector so it ain't much of a thing. Every nail is still exciting.

You’re a good man and don’t get discouraged I have a feeling you going to make many interesting fines. I know it’s hard finding places that allow you to beep and you feel comfortable doing it. You just got yourself in a lifelong addiction of swinging so enjoyed my friend. Have you found any large square nails that are in great condition those are cool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough almost every one I have found has been in almost too good of condition to believe. None even have a bend to them. Some literally still have a steel shine. It's like some poor ******* had a hole in his nail bag as he went along. They are in such good shape I can pound them into the stuff I'm making just fine and easy....all 200+ of them.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddly enough almost every one I have found has been in almost too good of condition to believe. None even have a bend to them. Some literally still have a steel shine. It's like some poor ******* had a hole in his nail bag as he went along. They are in such good shape I can pound them into the stuff I'm making just fine and easy....all 200+ of them.

Damn that’s crazy. Try selling them on Ebay if someone what’s to build there house old school you’re their man.

I’ll admit after 200+ nails I’d be going bat **** crazy myself. :laughing. Frustrating isn’t it when you’re on old property and not finding the good stuff. Let us know how things are going along your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do, there can only me so many....I figure after I find them all I can get to the good targets, there can only be 10k right?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I am lookin for nuggets ....

Then forget all the advice about machines that pass nails better, or better places to look for coins/relics. Instead: You need to find better places for nuggets, that have less nails. I'm not a nugget hunter (too far from those regions of CA). But from what I know from talking to friends that have done it, is that the tailings piles they work are not that bad for nails ratios. Contrast to what you are painting, and it sounds like you are in the middle of a ghost-town or junkyard.

If you are serious about pursing nuggets/prospecting, there's some dealers in the Sac. Foothills region who are well connected with successful locals. Who may agree to take you out to show you some pointers. Or go to the Sacramento monthly club (SVDB) and you'll invariably meet up with guys who know the in's & out's of detectors for nuggets.

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met with a guy that ran a shop out of his house up there. I'm thinking. I should probably join a club or try and get some pointers for the area from him. It's hard to not want to step on toes. The south Yuba is right full of claims so beeping ain't too good there but panning is still ok depending on what bend. I have found a very decent sum there but want to hear the beep.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an old prohibition era place that I have detected in the past. Besides a ton of .22 shell casings the place is so littered with nails that it's basically impossible to detect there. It's the only place I have given up on, several times. We're not talking the top surface of nails -- I could rake that much up, but they are 3-4 inches down (maybe more), and pretty much interlaced. I'm going to give the place one more try this coming spring, this time with my Fisher F-75 (fully upgraded version), and use the 5-inch coil and the fast audio mode and see what happens. This time while I'm at it I'll remember to bring along a two-box, just in case there's something really nice to be had...

So to answer your question, I only give up if nothing good is turning up after many hours, and even then I'll come back with a different machine and/or search coil if I think the place holds something of value. In the end, it's your town, so as if/when to give up is a decision only you can make.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use a hard Tarmac rake with a super magnet attached to the head to pull the surface iron out of the way. With a little practice and a big enough magnet you will be surprised how much less junk iron there is.

You have to get the iron out of the way to detect nuggets. Your 4000 is an excellet well proven nugget machine. More than likely the nails are from a long tom, not a living or working structure. In a hydraulic pit you should consider detecting around the working face of the pit. There will be less metal there and the wall/debris interface is a good trap for gold.

Don't listen to that 50 year old relic nonsense. There is no such law and no one has ever gotten a ticket for detecting old junk on public lands. Internet myth.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question remains do we need to carry A compass 77b with out ultra modern Equinox??

As Far as I understand, as I don’t have one... it runs on 100khz and blanks on nails and never false, and in mineral mode the opposite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread