Need some guidance on Crystals

Byrdgirl

Nov 29, 2017
Bozeman, Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best friend and I have been digging crystals here in Montana and we are looking for some guidance on how to polish them. From what I have found online a dremel tool is the way to go.

Could anyone advise on which model is the best to purchase and what accessories we would need? Not really sure where to start.

Thank you for any input.

IMG_9706.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a fantastic collection of smoky quartz. I think if you polish them they may lose value as specimens. Have you tried just cleaning them with a brush and soapy water?...although you obviously have already cleaned them up nicely. Really nice finds!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with Kray. Great collection, just as it is, other than mild cleaning.
Jim

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you are polishing them for your own personal preference for your collection, they will be worth more if you sell them as they come out of the ground.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and yeah you probably don't want to polish those, just clean them up. If you're going to mount some in jewelry you might need to do some altering, and a Dremel tool does a fair job. There's guys on here who know more about that and they'll probably get back to you. If nothing else, call up the local jewelers as they will have some good advice.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Byrdgirl, I might add one more thing, though you may be already aware. Keep them out of direct sunlight, for the color in quartz will fade if you don't.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice quartz collection!

I'd recommend a cordless Dremel, but really an acid solution should clean them up pretty well. If you want to tumble, never put more than 1 piece of qtz at a time in the hopper- make sure the media is softer than what you want to polish.

I tend to agree with Kray that soap and water will do fine. There is a product for use on iron stained minerals (I think it is) that is some sort of oxalate. Check out the McRocks board McRocks , they discuss it in several threads there. read anything to do with Cleaning). But go there fast, they are going to shut down shortly; tomorrow I think it is.

But the bottom line is that qtz is very stable stuff. You can use almost any common acid or base to clean it with. Test on a lesser quality specimen if you aren't sure.

Side tip: if you want to darken up smoky qtz, place it with radioactive minerals. Not all qtz will darken, but most smoky stuff will.

Last edited:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your quartz crystals are discolored from iron stains you might try using Iron Out laundry stain remover. From Google: "Soak your crystal clusters in the Iron Out solution for 5-20 minutes, up to a maximum of 1-2 hours. When done, pour the liquid down the drain and thoroughly rinse your mineral specimens. Naval Jelly, which contains phosphoric acid, is sold for getting rust off metal, but it works on quartz crystals as well". I use oxalic acid on my stained quartz geodes but the Iron Out will be easier to acquire if you are just going to try it on a few pieces.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice haul of crystals there :thumbsup: All the above advice is great however try the chemical cleaning first before the dremel is all I'll add.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someones been rather busy!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to dig crystals near Hot Springs Arkansas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread