Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way to start is to make yourself a test field.
First lay down some cardboard in an area outside of the house to avoid false signals from the many different metal objects inside your house. Preferably in the backyard. Scan the ground to try to find an area that is free of metal. (No signals)
Now lay down a penny and scan. Record your reading on a piece of paper. Replace the penny with a nickel and scan. Record the reading. Remove the nickel and replace it with a dime. Then a quarter, then a half dollar. Make sure you identify and record each target and target I.D. number. The numbers you have recorded will be transferred to a white piece of cardboard that will be taped to the side of your detector or carried in your pocket for a quick reference. Do the same with silver coins and a few different pieces of Silver jewelry. (Ring, necklace, pendant, etc).
Now comes the fun part. Round up a few pieces of gold in different purities. (10kt, 14kt, &18kt.) (Rings, necklaces, pendants).
Also lay down a few pull tabs, pop tops, and some aluminum foil. Record each number. You will notice that some trash numbers may duplicate the gold numbers. Also, it should be noted that the signal strength can be amplified or decreased by soil moisture as well as the depth of the target. To further complicate matters, put a silver dime next to an iron nail. Listen rather than depending on the visual display of numbers.
There are numerous other little tricks but for now, high pitched signals may be Silver and low tones may be Gold. Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet.... I too have an f2... which coil size are you using?, the 4 inch does a great job separating some targets

OP
OP
G
Nov 29, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 8 in Stock coil it came with three a 12 in a 8in and a 4 in

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey G&S, you need to gain many hours of experience with your detector, I agree with the advice given by ATW. Gold rings in anywhere from a target ID of 11 (small 10K wedding band) all the way up into the 50's (large men's class ring). I never dug any gold with my F2 nor F4 but have pulled a few using my F75LTD and the XP Deus. They all showed solid target ID numbers. If you are hunting in trashy areas, I hope you have the 4" sniper coil. You won't get great depth, but you will get good target separation. Most of those (I know) who dig gold and silver jewelry dig all mid tones. I would estimate they pull 100 plus pull tabs each hunt. I am primarily a coin shooter and did very well using the F4 and now the F2, but I used to disc out most trash ranges since I felt there was hope for me pulling gold from the sites I was hunting. Now I only disc out iron. GL & HH

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice given by previous members. The more hours you will spend with your machine the better you will get at decoding what it’s telling you and just when you think you have the nickels pull tab signals figured out a gold ring will “POP” up for the hole.

3A27FF55-A13E-41AA-BA6B-00B755C0D4A5.jpeg

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice from other members! I use an F22 I know it's a bit different, I've used a F2 also. I have found more silver and gold rings with the 9" elliptical coil than any other coil I've used on any of my machines. Great target separation. Gold and silver rings between 20 and 99 if you don't dig it you won't find it. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
G
Nov 29, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you man that helps went back out today and found two tin cans so it's a work in progress but I love it

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used the F2 for over 1000 hours and we became one.
Half that time I used the 8" coil, a few hours using the 10", but once I put on the 4" sniper it rarely ever came off again.
I found lots of gold and silver with mine in mostly trash infested sites, the pic of the gold below is of a lot of my gold with F2 VDI info I have found in the last few years.
About half of them were found with the F2 and most of those were with the sniper.

The two similar 10k gold channel wedding rings both with dimonds will give you an idea why I dig all solid signals from the low 20's on up no matter what.
The white gold one was bigger an hevier than the yellow gold version but came in lower because it was probably alloyed with nickel.
White gold alloyed with silver comes in higher.
Basically gold can come in anywhere from iron to low zinc and even higher on very large or high karat items.

The pic of the silver chains are just a few of mine, chains are weird and do not act like coins ad rings at all, they come next way below silver coins...usually.
Again most of these were found with the F2 and the sniper.

I didn't dig it all to find all this, as a matter of fact I made a great effort to avoid digging as much trsh as possible
Ultimately I got down to digging about 20% of the trash I came across and left the rest in the dirt.
What I did dig was the solid signals I came across and I mean all of them no matter where they were.
Signals that sounded good and rarely jumped more than 3 numbers or so and this high percentage method seemed to work for me more than well.
Other's mileage may very.
If you want to dig more trash than I do go for it, it just wasn't for me anymore but I still wanted to find gold so I studied that metal and how the F2 reacts to it...hard.

The F2 is a coin magnet and great on jewelry and everything else and will indicate when it is swinging over something good...once you learn what it is telling you.

Attachments

• user10659_pic72355_1474286241.jpg
    user10659_pic72355_1474286241.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57
  • photostudio_1474843668218.jpg
    photostudio_1474843668218.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 48
  • silver chains section.jpg
    silver chains section.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Op.....I actually have a 4" coil for an f2.

I bought mine used with low hours and a 4" coil was included but never used. I will ship it out to you if you cover the shipping. I have no use for it now that I got my f75 and sold off the f2. Just throwing that out there. Would like it to go to a member here before craigslist ect.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger27's first line is the real KEY with any detector. TIME ON THE MACHINE! Doesn't matter if it is a $200 machine or $2000 machine, spend time on it. The rewards are proportional to the time spent on it. Period. ╦╦Ç

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey G&S their a great group in here, terry and loco always have great advice, and welcome! Is that 12" coil you mentioned a DD coil? I used the F2 as a scouting detector for many years for quick look and see areas. Each time I found any jewelry it was by complete surprise. I found digging good hard signals regardless of the Id helped. Basically dig it all. The DD coil worked the best for my given situation & your's could be different. I ended up loving the NEL DD Sharpshooter coil on it. In the end the only real difference for the DD was my Heavy mineralized Utah soil ( F2 has no ground balance) and the amount of area covered with the longer DD sweep. Gold, rings in at all different numbers, you can have two identical gold rings and get different numbers on either its kinda funny. Learn the detector and it will talk to you.
Best of luck and Stay Gold!!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread