Permission Always Denied.

Happy_Hour

Feb 26, 2011
My Camper Van.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher 1266, Teknetics Turbo.
Been a good 5 years and always the same, NO. What you see at one time from the late 30's until the mid 50's. these two buildings hosted roller skating, dancing, picnic ground, there were social gatherings and behind the buildings there was a fresh water spring used for swimming. Maybe one day he will say yes...What key date coins wait.....
DSCN3770.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's time to say screw the permission and do some night hawking detectin. NO! BAD LEFT SHOULDER TALKING OUT LOUD AGAIN! :laughing7:
It comes down to how one approached the permission in the first place. Reading the person is sometimes key in gaining the right to detect.
I usually just ask them what info they have on the site, the person or family? What was the buildings used for or going to be used for. Compliment the buildings the history of the site.
It's when they ask why it's then say anything about detecting.
Many times I'll say that I detect early in the conversation and leave it at that. Then on closing I name drop the names in the local area that I got the permission to hunt.my average is in the high 90% range of getting it.
Strange thing though I hardly go to a permission that is given to me if I have not asked first. I can think of at least 5 permissions over the past few years where folks have said that I got the permission to hunt their property but I have never gone.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
There are some people that never grant permission. I can usually tell early on in the conversation who these people are. Sometimes even before a word is spoken. There is an unspoken word that comes up in my mind about these people. @ssholes!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A lot depends on how you size this guy up. Its a factor. I once was selling someone who was hard and gruff. Met his wife who was as sweet as can be. After meeting her i knew his demeanor was a false front. He was a *****cat in actuality. The gruffness was a defense mechanism. If you want to learn how to get people to say yes, pick up a couple of books on salesmanship. Start by googling ways to get people to say yes for ideas. Definitely don’t give up on it.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Offer to share those historic finds from his property and how important this undiscovered history is to the community.

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool buildings I'd love to get out there as well. Offer up a second detector, get him involved in the hunt.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking property. I recently got permission from a female owner/ manager of a motel that dates back to the 50's. She said, "sure go ahead, have fun" I was really happy because out back, there was about 2 acres of mowed grass and a fire ring
About 15 minutes after I start detecting, her husband comes out and asks me to stop and to leave. Kind of sucks, but what can you do?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I knock (which has been a while) I introduce myself and state where I live and that I am a history nut. I ask about the history of the property and try to get the person comfortable with me then drop the bomb. I'd say when I was hunting more yards earlier in the season I was 60-70% on gaining permissions.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Hour,

Yeah it sucks man, but if you are complaining that this person Always say NO, then that tells me you have Integrity and have not set foot on that place yet.

All I can say is stay true to your self, keep asking on other sites and working other grounds, maybe one day that cat will come around.

Maybe if you offer a trade, like run a weed eater over his over grown land, and in exchange you get to MD the place. LOL Sorry could not resist, but if anyone ever took that trade it would be a deal.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've shown up at old properties during garage sales and offered $5 to detect the yard. They usually say yes. I'm not disappointed if I don't find anything.

Just throwing it out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread