Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Early carpenters axe brought back to life

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5444 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This is a testament of how well they used to make things back in the day. Well done restoration of a really cool find.
    can_slaw likes this.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    1841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by can_slaw View Post
    I do. Some called it a shinge hatchet, and others a carpenters hatchet. I called it an axe by mistake, but I could not find where I could edit the title, just the context. Was an honest mistake, I promise.
    The shingle hatchet and carpenter's hatchet are sort of the same but two different purposes. The shingle hatchet is for splitting wood shingles or shakertown siding. The carpenter's hatchet is larger, and used to rough split boards up to two inches for rough framing and concrete form work. Carpenters hatchets were pretty much essential to producton back before plywood (which was called laminate wood in the 1920s) was in general use.

If it is around twenty ounces or more it was likely used as a carpenter's hatchet.

Nice job on the restoration, great find and a very useful tool.
    can_slaw likes this.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone.

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    Garrett Ace 400, Ace 300 (kids)
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    ive found probably over 20 axe heads i keep meaning to clean up and never get to it. Seems like when i get time i just go dig more instead of cleaning.
    I think hatchet heads might become my new favorite relic to find. There are so many variations, and they are a lot of fun to refurbish!

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    The shingle hatchet and carpenter's hatchet are sort of the same but two different purposes. The shingle hatchet is for splitting wood shingles or shakertown siding. The carpenter's hatchet is larger, and used to rough split boards up to two inches for rough framing and concrete form work. Carpenters hatchets were pretty much essential to producton back before plywood (which was called laminate wood in the 1920s) was in general use.

If it is around twenty ounces or more it was likely used as a carpenter's hatchet.

Nice job on the restoration, great find and a very useful tool.
    First off, thank you Duckshot! Now I wish I would have weighed the head prior to adding the handle. If I had to guess though, I would have to say it is probably a shingle hatchet based on those weights. Thanks for the heads up!!
    Duckshot likes this.

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurios1 View Post
    This is a testament of how well they used to make things back in the day. Well done restoration of a really cool find.
    You can't leave a new one unused in the garage long term unused and expect it be ok. This one was in the ground for a hundred or so years and all it needed was a handle and a good cleaning. The steel back then was on a different breed than what they use today.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    1841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by can_slaw View Post
    I think hatchet heads might become my new favorite relic to find. There are so many variations, and they are a lot of fun to refurbish!
    I collect antique tools. Mostly hand saws but also whatever I can get a cheap deal on at estate sales, rummage sales. Them hand panel saws, taking the rust and patina off a unlabeled or generic warranted superior hand saw is like scratching off a lottery ticket. You never know what you got unless there is readable etching on the blade. Sometimes I find a nice one.

Check those hatchet heads for stamps.
    can_slaw likes this.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    I collect antique tools. Mostly hand saws but also whatever I can get a cheap deal on at estate sales, rummage sales. Them hand panel saws, taking the rust and patina off a unlabeled or generic warranted superior hand saw is like scratching off a lottery ticket. You never know what you got unless there is readable etching on the blade. Sometimes I find a nice one.

Check those hatchet heads for stamps.
    All i could find for a stamp was the number 5 stamped on the side of the hammer portion. I have not been able to find anything specific yet in regards to the 5.
    Saw blades are an awesome relic to collect! My grandfather used to collect the large round homestead PTO driven saw mill type blades. They hung on his garage walls all the while I was growing up.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2012
    Farr West, utah
    Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
    985 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very very nice work, thank you for sharing.
    can_slaw likes this.

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1on View Post
    Very very nice work, thank you for sharing.
    Thank you! I was afraid I would get a lot of flak for altering a relic. Turns out a lot of folks really liked to see it returned to its former glory.

us
    Jul 2015
    Grovetown, GA
    XP Deus, CTX 3030, Garrett AT Gold. Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
    370 times
    It turned out real nice!!
    can_slaw likes this.

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by btripp6 View Post
    It turned out real nice!!
    Thank you!!

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1212 times
    You can call it whatever you like---------I LIKE the way you brought it back to life as a useful tool.
    Marvin
    can_slaw likes this.
    If ya can't afford a Texas Instruments machine, Borrow more money.

Beep, Beep.

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
    You can call it whatever you like---------I LIKE the way you brought it back to life as a useful tool.
    Marvin
    I agree, that's ultimately why I decided to post. Becoming a useful tool again was the ultimate goal for this find. Thanks for the support!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links