Early carpenters axe brought back to life

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think hatchet heads might become my new favorite relic to find. There are so many variations, and they are a lot of fun to refurbish!

I collect antique tools. Mostly hand saws but also whatever I can get a cheap deal on at estate sales, rummage sales. Them hand panel saws, taking the rust and patina off a unlabeled or generic warranted superior hand saw is like scratching off a lottery ticket. You never know what you got unless there is readable etching on the blade. Sometimes I find a nice one.

Check those hatchet heads for stamps.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I collect antique tools. Mostly hand saws but also whatever I can get a cheap deal on at estate sales, rummage sales. Them hand panel saws, taking the rust and patina off a unlabeled or generic warranted superior hand saw is like scratching off a lottery ticket. You never know what you got unless there is readable etching on the blade. Sometimes I find a nice one.

Check those hatchet heads for stamps.

All i could find for a stamp was the number 5 stamped on the side of the hammer portion. I have not been able to find anything specific yet in regards to the 5.
Saw blades are an awesome relic to collect! My grandfather used to collect the large round homestead PTO driven saw mill type blades. They hung on his garage walls all the while I was growing up.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very very nice work, thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very very nice work, thank you for sharing.

Thank you! I was afraid I would get a lot of flak for altering a relic. Turns out a lot of folks really liked to see it returned to its former glory. :occasion14:

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It turned out real nice!!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can call it whatever you like---------I LIKE the way you brought it back to life as a useful tool.:thumbsup:
Marvin

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can call it whatever you like---------I LIKE the way you brought it back to life as a useful tool.:thumbsup:
Marvin

I agree, that's ultimately why I decided to post. Becoming a useful tool again was the ultimate goal for this find. Thanks for the support!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions