Early carpenters axe brought back to life

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope I do not get crucified for posting this, but for me it was a no-brainer to do. About a month ago I found this hatchet head about 3" down at an 1888 permission.
20171106_190405.jpg

I love old tools, and it broke my heart to see it in such shape. So with a little elbow grease I was able to turn it into the following.
20171202_131711.jpg

I love it being in usable condition again, and plan to use it for camping with my kids for years to come. So excited to get a razor sharp edge back on this beauty!!

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on that. Such a cool find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job! That is sweet!
HH
dts

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all, I appreciate the kind words!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good. I'm thinking you have a "shingle hatchet." Has a notch to pull nails, hammer to drive nails and hatchet to trim wood shingles.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good. I'm thinking you have a "shingle hatchet." Has a notch to pull nails, hammer to drive nails and hatchet to trim wood shingles.

I do. Some called it a shinge hatchet, and others a carpenters hatchet. I called it an axe by mistake, but I could not find where I could edit the title, just the context. Was an honest mistake, I promise.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and restoration! :occasion14:

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great restoration on the hatchet/axe. I found one years ago and now thinking about cleaning it up.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent job! Living history.

Thanks RustyGold!
My kids and I have already been making kindling with it in the backyard to try it out. I used square nails i dug over the summer as the metal wedges, and re purposed a 20" handle from a 1970's hatchet I had lying around, cutting it down to the proper 14'' length. That way I get a handle with character for the old hatchet, and all of the wedges are correct for the period. It really turned out better than I expected it would.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive found probably over 20 axe heads i keep meaning to clean up and never get to it. Seems like when i get time i just go dig more instead of cleaning.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a testament of how well they used to make things back in the day. Well done restoration of a really cool find. :icon_thumright:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do. Some called it a shinge hatchet, and others a carpenters hatchet. I called it an axe by mistake, but I could not find where I could edit the title, just the context. Was an honest mistake, I promise.

The shingle hatchet and carpenter's hatchet are sort of the same but two different purposes. The shingle hatchet is for splitting wood shingles or shakertown siding. The carpenter's hatchet is larger, and used to rough split boards up to two inches for rough framing and concrete form work. Carpenters hatchets were pretty much essential to producton back before plywood (which was called laminate wood in the 1920s) was in general use.

If it is around twenty ounces or more it was likely used as a carpenter's hatchet.

Nice job on the restoration, great find and a very useful tool.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive found probably over 20 axe heads i keep meaning to clean up and never get to it. Seems like when i get time i just go dig more instead of cleaning.

I think hatchet heads might become my new favorite relic to find. There are so many variations, and they are a lot of fun to refurbish!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The shingle hatchet and carpenter's hatchet are sort of the same but two different purposes. The shingle hatchet is for splitting wood shingles or shakertown siding. The carpenter's hatchet is larger, and used to rough split boards up to two inches for rough framing and concrete form work. Carpenters hatchets were pretty much essential to producton back before plywood (which was called laminate wood in the 1920s) was in general use.

If it is around twenty ounces or more it was likely used as a carpenter's hatchet.

Nice job on the restoration, great find and a very useful tool.

First off, thank you Duckshot! Now I wish I would have weighed the head prior to adding the handle. If I had to guess though, I would have to say it is probably a shingle hatchet based on those weights. Thanks for the heads up!!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a testament of how well they used to make things back in the day. Well done restoration of a really cool find. :icon_thumright:

You can't leave a new one unused in the garage long term unused and expect it be ok. This one was in the ground for a hundred or so years and all it needed was a handle and a good cleaning. The steel back then was on a different breed than what they use today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread